• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Sacred
« on: April 29, 2004, 05:17:52 AM »
I was thinking of getting this game, but the lack of sound on my Laptop has pretty much killed any intrest I have in PC games.

One question though, is there a multi-player option?  Any game that's Diabloish needs to have Multi-player to be any good.  You might want to mention that in the review if there is or isn't.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
Re: Sacred
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 05:21:47 AM »
I'd disgaree about the multi. I played Diablo 2 single player only, and it's one of my favourite games.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Onion of Death

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 07:37:26 AM »
And who won the free copy?
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 08:08:14 AM »
we still haven't reached final agreement.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 03:36:51 PM »
We're still trying to agree on a winner. And yes, the game has multiplayer, even though I didn't mention it until the final sentence.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2004, 06:13:02 PM »
I did... this game is awesome, I stayed up to the crack of dawn playing it.  The game has surprisingly high system requirements, not sure why.  It feels a little more like a role-playing game than Diablo, although it doesn't really have any more rpg elements.  I think its mostly because of the world, you can just run around anywhere you want right from the start, unlike Diablo where you had to beat a boss to get to different acts.  The mounted combat is also really cool.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2004, 06:13:24 PM »
Oh yeah, there is multiplayer but I haven't tried it out yet.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 11:54:25 PM »
One thing I've noticed is its hard to get Hard-Hit ability to work while mounted.  Some combat arts are just unusable while mounted, quite a few actually.  This one you can use mounted, but it doesn't like to connect very often.  You always attack from the same side of your horse while mounted which can make it tricky.

I'm playing a dark elf atm and got him to about level 18, but I've only been able to select something like 3 new skills.  Which is kind of strange, because you get quite a few skill points each level and there is a fairly good-sized list to choose from.  Sometimes I laugh at how many bandits roam the woods.  Its mostly a fighting game and they are just there to fight, but its still funny when bandits outnumber peasents 15 to 1.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 11:57:00 AM »
Not if you're a peasant, I bet.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 11:59:01 AM »
If they don't want to be the butt of this horribly violent joke, maybe they should turn to a life of crime.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 03:35:03 PM »
Yeah, I've really gotten sick of fighting mounted, mostly because of that hard-hit glitch.

The reason you get so few skills is the way they've differentiated skills and powers. By level 18 you don't have many skills, though you should be high level in all of them; powers, on the other hand, you should have plenty of.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 09:44:52 PM »
I found a list of all the skills in the manual.  Looks like you get a new skill at level 3, level 6, level 12, level 20, level 30, and level 50.  So you can eventually get 8 of 15 skills, except you don't get to choose the starting 2.

One trick with mounted combat is you can get a hard-hitting slow-moving weapon and while mounted still make attacks with it much faster.  It also seems to work good with a bow so you can retreat.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2004, 05:29:04 AM »
I've been playing a bit more, especially with some of the other characters, and Dark Elf traps make him almost too easy.  With confusion, nothing can stop you, and it just gets more brutal when you start tossing poison mist at all the confused monsters.

One trick with mounted combat is you can get a really slow-hitting heavy weapon and it will attack just as fast as any other weapon.  So on one weapon hot button, you put in some big, ugly beating stick and you can thrash on mounted combat, especially with polarms because the reach makes it way less buggy.  Also, archery and dark elf traps work while mounted.  Confusion + mount + poison mist... you run around quickly on mount, build up a mass of goblins or whatever you're fighting, throw a confusion trap in there and rack up a dozen kills in one blow.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2004, 06:16:56 AM »
I played the demo today. Really fun. Now I need another odd hundred bucks.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy