Author Topic: review: V for Vendetta  (Read 3484 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Re: review: V for Vendetta
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 03:55:28 PM »
Intriguing review. Although I probably won't see it.

Yes, Mr. Weaving is an excellent actor. If you've seen 'Pricilla Queen of the Desert' then you have a wider knowledge of his range as an actor ;) beyond all the violence of 'The Matrix' and primness of 'LOTR.'
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 04:07:51 PM »
the Portman crack is a little unfair in a way, everyone sleepwalked through the prequals, its just hard to get a lot out of an actor when you give them bad dialog and film them exclusively in front of green screens. Which is why Im not a huge fan of CGI.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 05:08:58 PM »
It's also somewhat odd to use Star Wars an example of her acting, given that she's done plenty of other stuff and even been nominated for an Oscar. She is rather inescapably linked to StarWars, though, so I suppose it makes sense.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 05:20:38 PM »
Well, they weren't bashing her.  They were saying that she delivers much more than she did in Star Wars and that seems like a good point to compare her to since everyone saw those.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Paul_Gibbs

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Scorcese in '07
    • View Profile
    • www.laughingstock.us
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 05:42:05 PM »
Yes, I believe Skar is right about the point my brother was trying to make about Natalie Portman.  She wowed both of us in "Cold Mountain", and we both frequently find ourselves defending her to those who have only seen her in "Star Wars." But to the average movie goer, and even more so to the average fan of science fiction and genre films, the first image that comes to mind is Padme Amidala. I mean, how many people on this site read "Natalie Portman" and think "Oh yeah, 2005 Oscar Nominee for 'Closer'"? Personally, it makes me crazy when people refer to the great Liam Neeson as "what's his name who played Qui-Gonn Jinn", but  to a lot of people, that's who he is.

Personally, I feel some actors, particularly Ewan McGregor, rose above the material and the CGI better than Portman did. She seems, to me, to be the least sincere of the leads, and her emotions seem too mannered and hollow to me (yes, even by comparison to Hayden Christensen). But when I saw her in "Cold Mountain", I knew that was not due to lack of ability on her part. Sadly, even though I am a lifelong Lucas fan, I must conclude it is largely due to inadequate direction. George is a great many things, but he is no director of actors. Whereas "Cold Mountain" director Anthony Minghella is a lot less exciting and fun, but is superb with actors.

I have not yet seen "V For Vendetta", so I don't have an opinion of her performance there.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 05:48:15 PM by Paul_Gibbs »
"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 07:27:36 PM »
I kind of got that, but just felt that I needed to comment on the fact that no one would accuse any of the actors in the prequals of turning in a stellar performance. Adequate is about as high as my dart would go.

I agree about Cold Mountain... wow she was amazing.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 09:48:04 PM »
Liam Neelson is not qui-gon-jin. He is Rob Roy.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 03:09:39 AM »
No, hes...well, yeah, he's Rob Roy.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

fellsmum

• Level 3
  • I know all and what color it spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 04:15:43 PM »
Well, they weren't bashing her.  They were saying that she delivers much more than she did in Star Wars and that seems like a good point to compare her to since everyone saw those.

Not everyone.

But I did watch her with Jon Stewart the other night and she was amazing.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 06:53:57 PM »
It was a pretty good show.  With a few changes it would have been awesome, too bad.  I hope there is an extended version for dvd, I think it could use it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 06:54:42 PM by Eagle_Prince »
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 06:56:45 PM »

Not everyone.

I cannot be held accountable for your being a Sci-Fi bumpkin.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2006, 07:40:33 PM »
Well, I just got back from seeing this. (Yes, it's 4:40 in the afternoon on a workday. Don't you wish you had my job?) Personally, I thought this movie was excellent. Not flawless, but brilliant in almost every way. Every actor was dead-on, and the characters they portrayed were just what they needed to be, with nothing more. It's a movie with a strong political slant, to be sure, and I think that'll make a lot of people not like it. But to me, the whole thing is just a metaphor. And as both a story and a metaphor, it's simply powerful.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2006, 10:02:43 PM »
I saw it as well (with Tage, in fact, imagine that), and I quite agree. It's absolutely not an action movie (there are only two fight scenes, and they're both relatively short), and in that sense I think the trailers did it a disservice--a lot of people who would appreciate a thought-provoking political movie won't bother, because they think it's all about kicking people and blowing stuff up. It's not--it's about why, and who, and whether anything should be blown up, which is far deeper and more interesting.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2006, 03:27:29 AM »
I believe V had three fights, but all of them were incredibly short.  But still pretty stylish, nice change from all the Matrix imitation on fighting.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.