Author Topic: Forsakers, how to destroy.  (Read 2109 times)

PaperSword

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hmm..
    • View Profile
Forsakers, how to destroy.
« on: June 29, 2004, 11:38:08 PM »
In an upcoming D&D campaign, a player, using the Masters of the Wild Guidebook, is becoming a Forsaker by lvl.2. They recieve an extra ability point per level of the 10 level class, not only that, but they recieve fast healing, damage reduction, and other abilities. How could the other four members of the party get around to destroying this character if he became to strong. He also adds his Con mod to his AC. The others are: A Lawful Neutral Human Fighter from Cormyr, Knight of Helm(i'm going to multi-class into Divine Champion.), two Wizards, one normal the other necromancer, both are then going to go into Palemaster from Tome and Blood guidebook, oh..and finally..a druid going to multi-class into fighter...grumble, grumble....
May Christ be with you.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
Re: Forsakers, how to destroy.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 12:23:26 AM »
But why do they want to destroy him, is he a player in the group or a villian?
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

PaperSword

• Level 2
  • Hmm..
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 02:40:10 AM »
He's a player that has a tendency of turning on the party. We want to prepare for that possible scenario. In my opinion the Forsaker prestige class is all too strong and leads to powergaming.

Note: he is intending on using a greatsword and taking Monkey Grip...and hes going to put all his extra points to Constitution to jump up his AC 5 points.

Note2: My younger brother is DM...he rarely does what i suggest. Telling him that the player would be unbalancing the game would keep him from changing his mind, regardless of the actual unbalancing.

Oh well.. Reply with suggestions, please.
May Christ be with you.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 07:42:40 AM »
just stab him. in the back, preferably, with the rogue.

He can die like any other player, and while I think they were too loose with the requirements, it's not THAT unbalancing for someone who'll play nice. Not any more than any other prestige class in the expansions. If you gang up on him, you can smack him down easily.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 09:30:28 AM »
Or you could stop playing with the guy.

I mean from your text he does this a lot, so tell him that he chooses a character that wont screw up the game or you all take your dice and go home.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 09:48:54 AM »
Or the GM can just say he can't.  Or have a god come down and step on him.  Or have a giant bolder fall on him. If he keeps on dyeing is stupid ways maybe he'll stop.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 06:20:29 PM »
Forsaker isn't exactly an overpowered class, its only tough at lower levels when PC usually don't have a bunch of magic equipment and so he isn't losing out on much.  Plus he has to break magic items to get a number of his bonuses, that is more expensive then the people wearing magic gear.

Anyway, he can't kill 5 other PCs at the same time unless you just stand there.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

PaperSword

• Level 2
  • Hmm..
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 03:59:57 PM »
Well, that session came and went...

He killed the Cleric of Bane on first site, the cleric was only in game for five minutes. (he arrived late) Shortly after that, he killed my character LN Human Fighter, then the remainder of the party quit. Our DM shocked...

Well, we have banned the class Forsaker from future use, and the feat Monkey Grip.
May Christ be with you.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 04:22:15 PM »
Why didn't the rest of your party hand his arse to him, and then proceed to do that immediately as soon as the player makes another character? I honestly CANNOT see what is in this class description that you're so frightened of. the second he started PKing you shoulda stomped his face. Even if he killed the cleric before he could cast a spell, 3 spells from the rest of the party and an attack from the fighter should have been enough to stop him. If not, he'd still need a few more rounds and even with a dead fighter 3-5 more spells coulda taken him.

Banning a class and a feat isn't going to help, honestly. He'll find something else. You have to ban the player and ban PK. That's it.

Teach him a lesson, if you want. Have a couple sessions where you all min/max to get the most destruction you can out. Who cares about longterm longevity for the character? Just do the most killing you can the fastest. Then, as soon as every session starts, claim that you're all blood brothers, except for the guy who does the PK. Find an excuse IMMEDIATELY to kill him (or make one up) and gang up on him. Do this for several sessions. He'll get the point.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 06:51:33 PM »
Or just tell him either he stops doing it or he is looking for another group. If all the other players refuse to play with him there is nothing the GM can do about it.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 10:02:10 PM »
Exactly. If a player is ruining the game, simply do not play with them.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 02:20:56 AM »
Or take him out back and beat the living crap out of him.

He obviously doesnt care about you guys, and I doubt he likes you that much. Otherwise he'd be less likely to kill everyone and ruin your fun. Of course you could always buy Ghostwalk and waste him as the angry spirits you are.

But refusing to play with him is the best answer

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 07:23:50 AM »
I like killing his character off several times better. more satisfactory. THEN you can stop playing with him.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 09:21:52 AM »
You could always just reach across the table grab his character sheet and rip it up in front of him... then hit him hard in the nose.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2004, 09:31:34 AM »
see, actual physical violence is crossing the line.
And ripping his char sheet... maybe he remembers too much, since it's a new character and everything, and maybe he even has a back up copy. The problem is not attachment to character, it's denial of fun.

anyway, this is partly why I put restrictions on the personality types when I GM. I don't do anything really tight, but I always insist that we have personality types that will work together and that I can motivate in the stories I have. None of this "I hate everything you stand for" crap so "I have to destroy you on sight."