Author Topic: Wheel of Time  (Read 15589 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: Wheel of Time
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2004, 04:41:01 PM »
That's an interesting analysis, Paper.  However, I must point out that the presence of a formula alone isn't necessarily indicative of an unentertaining book.

Most books and series follow patterns.  Whether the author uses the traditional heroic cycle, or a more modern narrative structure such as the 'detective/mystery' plot, formulas are quite common in writing.  In fact, if there ISN'T a formula, then many readers become confused and uninterested because they can't unconsciously predict the narrative flow and tension of the book.

The skill of an author, therefore, is not to defy plotting conventions, but to use them in a way as to make them invisible.  Depth of characterization, clever discoveries in the plot, general world submersion--these things, when done well, can make the most cliched plotting structure seem vivid and real.  That is why we can read virtually the same plot structure at the beginning of every Harry Potter book, yet enjoy them all thoroughly.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2004, 05:15:52 PM »
Ok who keeps on resurecting this thread! Some threads deserve to die in obscurity and this is one of them.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2004, 06:32:27 PM »
I think his point was more that the story could have finished in 3 books yet for some reason RJ insists that it can't and now we are moving into 10+ books.  And he is right, its getting even worse now.  The last book even worked in reverse, moving further from the ending.  Grrr, I must stop thinking about this now before I tear out my eyes.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2004, 02:47:07 AM »
I wish I could get paid to write a book with no plot, no action, and is worse than a fanfic.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2004, 04:28:06 AM »
which fanfic?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2004, 04:38:01 AM »
That comment barely deserves a response, so I'll barely give one.  

If they have no plot, no action, and terrible writing, why do people read them?  I guess the fantasy-reading public is just a big mass if idiots who can't distinguish quality.  I'm glad we cleared this up--now we can all go read James Joyce and Toni Morrison and forget that fantasy even ever existed.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2004, 02:48:11 PM »
Old One, (why did you pick that name? It doesn't suit you at all, and I have trouble associating the real you with it...)  You'll find that going around posting in threads that are over a month old is going to annoy people.

And in cases like this where we've already hashed out why we do and do not like Jordan, will apparently gain you nothing but contempt from EUOL.

Edit: I personally share your opinion of Jordan, but EUOL has hashed his views to death on this, and he's quite right.  Not everyone hates Wheel of time, some love it, some worship it, and enough people buy it to make him a very successful author.  
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 03:04:58 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2004, 02:58:02 PM »
yes, your posting patterns indicate someone who is much younger in habits.  But at least you're either interested in fantasy or you can pretend to have some knowledge of it.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2004, 03:06:29 PM »
She's a bastion of trivia concerning Tolkien's mythology, for one thing.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2004, 02:31:15 AM »
I wanted to say 'Thanks" to fuzzyoctopus, but I wasn't sure whether you truly want this thread to go the way of Paul. For something that you are all so desperate to kill off, six posts in one day sure doesn't seem to help.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2004, 07:46:05 AM »
actually, what was more annoying was the contentless bashing of something that we'd already discussed. It was more about content than resurrection.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2004, 12:32:16 PM »
Another Tolkien buff, heh.

The Golden Rule of forum conversations is: 'Does this post add anything to this conversation?'

Meditate upon it, little one.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 12:32:56 PM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2004, 09:01:53 PM »
Golden Rule Two:

Never take anything we say TOO seriously.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2004, 11:44:36 PM »
I kinda figured that. It's a good thing I waited until this evening to reply or you'd all be subject to a blast of sarcasm. This is the first board I've been on where people get upset for bringing up old threads. Elsewhere it's encouraged as opposed to starting a new one.

Just out of curiousity, if an entire forum should fail to have a post for over a month, does the forum die? Or would the poster that resurrects a thread therein be also subject to such a blast of ire? And if you're looking to kill a thread, why don't you just wield that handy-dandy sysop power and delete it?

Just consider those to be rhetorical questions. And since you seem to feel that everything that could be said about Jordan has been said, and since I don't feel like defending my opinion on the subject, I'll go ahead and let this thread "die in obscurity."

BTW, fuzzyoctopus, I picked this name because Brenna never lets me forget my age. I'm what, 235 by now?

Ok who keeps on resurecting this thread! Some threads deserve to die in obscurity and this is one of them.

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2004, 11:55:54 PM »
close. You're 236 today.  Silly.  ;D