Author Topic: review: Kingdom of Heaven  (Read 1103 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
review: Kingdom of Heaven
« on: May 09, 2005, 10:53:26 PM »
read it here: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1060

I find it interesting that they say this movie avoided "pandering to political correctness or historical revisionism," since what I've heard of it sounds remarkably revisionist. An enlightened Christian warrior, during the Crusades, who advocated peace between Christians and Muslims? Maybe I've just been taught incorrectly (a likely scenario) but that seems like the opposite of the Crusades I know.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: review: Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 11:03:32 PM »
In other news, why does it have a mention of DS9 hyperlinked to itself?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 11:24:38 PM »
Because the html was screwed. Serves me right for not checking it before I posted it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 01:42:25 AM »
Sorry... :-[
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 06:45:55 AM »
Go back and check the hyperlink on Alexander Siddig, foolish editor! :P
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 12:37:48 PM »
Picky, picky...fixed.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 12:34:48 PM »
I saw this film over the weekend.  It was pretty terrible.  There were some really good scenes though.  If they had been in a movie that WASN'T a long transparently political diatribe against all things western they alone could have made the film worth it.

Of course, in order to produce a balanced portrayal of the time period you'd have to include much more history, like the fact that the Muslims originally sacked Jerusalem as they were conquering bits of the Holy Roman Empire, to which Western Europe owed allegiance, and the fact that the only reason Western Europe isn't yet another Muslim dictatorship today is that Martel stopped their armies of invasion cold on the Northern side of the Pyrrenese (sic?).  

Ridley Scott really knows how to do medieval battle, I'll give him that.  I would have preferred a sequel to Gladiator though.

-Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 12:49:15 PM »
I would rather have every copy of Gladiator burned over either.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 02:15:00 PM »
Really?  Why didn't you like Gladiator?

*Not trolling for an argument, just curious.

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 02:37:39 PM »
the camera work gave me a headache, I could see nothing accomplished by the fast motion bits, especially since it was only short parts of it. Also, everyone was so one-dimensional. I don't mind shallow characters if I have good action to watch, but even if they were choreographed well, the camera work totally ruined it for me.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 02:41:38 PM »
I see.  Interesting.  I'll have to pay attention to that next time I watch it.  thanks

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 03:04:01 PM »
np. Lots (most) people disagree with me on the quality of the film, so I won't be offended or surprised if you continue to do so.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2005, 06:33:30 PM »
Roger.

I already know I disagree with you but that's just because the camerawork didn't bother me at all.  The reason I'm going to pay attention next time I see it is just so I can put a "that" on it.  As in "that" is jerky annoying camerawork to some people. Then I'd know.

It's one of my favorite films.

-Fellfrosch