Author Topic: review: Memoirs of a Geisha  (Read 2449 times)

spriggan at school

Re: review: Memoirs of a Geisha
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 02:42:26 PM »
I have no plans on seeing this movie mostly based off it's a romance, but if you ignore that part I'm annoyed they used Chinese actors for this movie instead of Japanese.  It's like making a movie about Africans and substuting Polynesions, and considering the current tensions between the two contries it would probably be more like useing KKK members instead of Blacks.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 02:48:57 PM »
I'm not a fan of the romance genre as a whole, hence it would take a huge amount of glowing reviews and some major bock-office success to get me to go. Since it has gotten neither, I shall have to pass.

I'm a little surprised Gibbs rated this one so high, when it has be severely panned as being nothing more than a big-screen soap opera by many critics.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 04:04:05 PM »
I'm not a fan of the romance genre as a whole, hence it would take a huge amount of glowing reviews and some major bock-office success to get me to go. Since it has gotten neither, I shall have to pass.

I'm a little surprised Gibbs rated this one so high, when it has be severely panned as being nothing more than a big-screen soap opera by many critics.

"Gone With The Wind" was big screen soap opera.

As for the Japanse Chinese issue, that bothered me initally, but when you think about it, we excepted a bunch of Brits, Scots, and Australian's playing Americans in "Black Hawk Down," to give just one example. We accept anything Hopkins or Al Pacino as wahtever race Holyywood wants us to (well, okay, I don't, but a lot of people do.). I don't see the big issue.
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 04:58:14 PM »
"Gone With the Wind" was also an incredibly boring movie.

It's a bigger deal considering that many (most) white americans are not a different race than the English, having ancestry there. Which means they're not really that different from Australians either.

I don't care, myself, but I think there's a difference there you're glossing over and your analogy doesn't work.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 05:25:21 PM »
The real reason they did it, of course, is that Zhang Ziyi is indisputably the most internationally-famous Asian actress in the world right now, and they wanted the name/face recognition.

I will also point out that hating Gone With The Wind doesn't help support your point. It just makes people say: "why should I listen to his opinion about movies? He doesn't even like Gone With The Wind."
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 05:29:20 PM »
It was boring. I said nothing about "hate." I couldn't work up the energy to hate it because of the tediousness of sitting there watching it.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 05:30:17 PM »
I shall remain undecided about my view on this movie.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 05:33:55 PM »
Hate, schmate, you still disliked it, which is the point.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Paul_Gibbs

• Level 3
  • Scorcese in '07
    • View Profile
    • www.laughingstock.us
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 06:58:46 PM »
This was, for me, one of the most difficult films to review I have yet ebncountered. While somewhat emotionally empty, I felt that was thematically germane to the lives the Geisha's lead. Visually, this film is pure poetry. I have never seen a more gorgeous film in my life. The story also engulfs the viwer, wrapping us up in it's world.

I fluctuated wildly on my star/clock rating for this one, and will never be entirely happy. But this much is certain: while I did not feel as much for the characters ad I hopes, I was mesmerized for the the entire length of the film. But it certianly was not as rewarding a cinematic experience as "Munich" or "King Kong".

And hey, most of all, let's remember, it's all about opinion.
"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 09:30:28 AM »
Fell, the people who will discount an opinion entirely on the basis that it doesn't agree with the unwashed masses are exactly the sorts of people whose opinion has absolutely no value.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 09:33:13 AM »
Fell, the people who will discount an opinion entirely on the basis that it doesn't agree with the unwashed masses are exactly the sorts of people whose opinion has absolutely no value.

ohhh!!!Burn!!!

I think we need an Editor steel ringed cage match to see who's right.  Tickets start at $50.  And the winner decides the fate of the Internet!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 09:35:12 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 10:29:37 AM »
/me gathers up the image macros for the mid-flamewar interval.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 05:56:02 PM »

Take it easy on Fellsy - he's the man. And while I agree with your point about basing your opinions on what you think, rather than what people tell you, watch who you are calling "unwashed." I bathe at least twice a week, thank you very much.
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2006, 01:47:46 PM »
I mostly agree with this Gibbs review. You echoed a lot of what I felt about the movie. I also really enjoyed this movie. However, I disagree with you when you say it was not moving and that the ending was a weakness. In your review you said:
In the absence of true happiness, they content themselves with aspiring to an illusion. While this ultimately feels true to the lives and experiences of the characters, it leaves the viewer with a questionable sense of satisfaction. In the end, Marshall makes the right choice in not trying to overplay a false sense of happiness in a story that is more pathetic than moving. From Sayuri's point of view, it has a happy ending, but it is simply the fulfillmen of the desperate dream of a young girl who has never really had the chance to know her true self, or to really live. This enigmatic quality will leave viewers unsure what to think of Memoirs of a Geisha, and manages to be a strength and a weakness at the same time.

I guess this is where I disagree. I feel the ending was a strength, not a weakness--anything else would have been unfaithful to the story. I can't imagine it ending another way--at least a happier way. And personally I was very moved by the movie as a whole.

***some spoilers about the ending ahead***
The ending does leave you feeling sad and slightly empty. I think, though, this is exactly how you are meant to feel. Sayuri/Chiyo got what she always wanted--to be the geisha of the Chairman. Unfortunately, her "dream" was in actuality only a pale reflection of true happiness. However, it was all that she could hope for as a geisha--a girl sold into slavery. There was a part of me that really wanted the Hollywood, Cinderella-type ending, where the Chairman said, "I don't only want you to be my geisha, I want you to be my wife." I was hoping that values and society had changed enough after the war to allow for this. But I don't think they had. Also, I'm not sure if the Chairman was married--it was never mentioned or shown, but I assume he was involved in an arranged marriage like all prominent Japanese men--so it seems likely he was. Which then makes me think, "Oh, his poor wife!" It seems like a sad situation for all. I'm not an advocate for divorce by any means, but it seems that the geisha system coupled with arranged marriages was encouraging all sorts of emotions that could only satisfy all involved on the surface level while keeping all three--the true wife, the wealthy man, and the geisha--from attaining true love and a fulfilling relationship. Which is what makes the story so tragic.
***end of spoilers***

I loved this movie. I don't regret seeing it at all. I was fascinated by the glimpse into another culture's way of thinking and extremely moved by the tragedy. And, if that wasn't enough, I felt the cinematography and acting was superb as well. Like the Gibbs brothers said, watching this film was like sheer poetry. So I would recommend it--and already have to several people.

However, it's not everyone's cup of tea. As my female friend and I walked out behind a teenage couple, we heard the boy remark, "Man, there wasn't any kung fu in that movie."

Sorry guys. This isn't Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. But I think *gasp* I may have liked it better.  ;)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"