Author Topic: review: Brokeback Mountain  (Read 3967 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: review: Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2006, 01:58:39 PM »
The only thing that bothers me is when people say that people have a right to see this film implying that everyone has to see this film.

I dont think it impies that at all.
It impies that everyone has a right to see the film. Nothing Ive seen in the advertising, or in the buzz about the film has said you must or should watch it.

Having said that the concept did make me laugh when I rewatched the South Park episode where South Park becomes the new Sundance. Every movie is about gay cowboys!

anyhow, I dont like romance movies much.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2006, 02:41:26 PM »
If I understand 42 correctly, he's not saying that those *words* imply it, but that the people *using* those words imply it. And yes, I'm going to have to say that those words in reference to this subject are most often used to excuse behavior and enforce an acceptance of it. I'm not saying this is *always* the case. Just most often.

And I have heard advertising for it that explicitly states that you *should* see it.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2006, 02:43:32 PM »
I hadnt, but it doesnt surpise me too much, I mean they said I should have seen Duece Bigalow II also. It doesnt mean I feel pressured to see it or offended by it. I just wont go.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2006, 09:05:09 PM »
If I understand 42 correctly, he's not saying that those *words* imply it, but that the people *using* those words imply it. And yes, I'm going to have to say that those words in reference to this subject are most often used to excuse behavior and enforce an acceptance of it. I'm not saying this is *always* the case. Just most often.

And I have heard advertising for it that explicitly states that you *should* see it.

Every serious Oscar type movie has advertising that tells you that "You have to see this movie." It's just standard advertising rhetoric. Even commercial films such as "Austin Powers" (which is by far more morally objectionable than anything in "Brokeback Mountain") features that sort of thing on it's ads.

The bottom line about this movie is, see, or don't. I don't see why so many people have to make such a big deal about whether or not they are going to see it or not. It is just a movie.

"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting