Author Topic: review: Brokeback Mountain  (Read 3968 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: review: Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2006, 07:11:22 AM »
The social workers I work with had some pretty vulgar things to say about this movie. A lot of it was stuff they picked-up from the sex offenders unit. When it comes to the sex offender unit, I don't ask why. Life is just better not thinking that way.

Why?

That doesn't answer your question, but it's something to think about.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 07:12:05 AM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2006, 09:30:02 AM »
Why is because I don't want to spend 7$ watching someone condone such morally offensive behavior.  Plus you have all these homos trying to get special treatment under the label "equal rights" ie trying to change gay marriage laws.  Don't expect me in line to pay 7$ to promote the growth of an immoral society.  I am no angel, but there are some lines not meant to be crossed.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2006, 09:56:35 AM »
I'm pretty disgusted by homosexual behavior myself.

If it's any consolation to those of you not disgusted, I am also bothered by extra-marital sex of the non-gay sort. Although, I confess, it is of a different category and degree.

This does not change how I treat people who do either. But that doesn't mean i'm wrong to be extremely turned off by movies promoting the aforementioned behaviors.

Paul_Gibbs

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Scorcese in '07
    • View Profile
    • www.laughingstock.us
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2006, 11:26:40 AM »
This is yet another movie that will recieve critical praise yet, will only be seen by a few. Then it will go on to be required viewing by jaded professors who are offended that people are offended by this film.

Actually, it has performed very well at the box office thus far, grossing over $22 million (impressive when you consider it's low budget and still somewhat limited release),, and with the Oscar momentum rising, the film's grosses rise. Sure, it's never goign to a "Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire", but when the dust settles and the awards have all been handed out, a lot of people will have seen "Brokeback Mountain".

People have the right to see, not see, be offended by, or not offended by, anything  they choose. This is America. If you don't want to see the film, don't. The review on the site makes it quite clear this film is not for everyone and does not encourage everyone to see it. Personally, howver, I would imagine people will be more damaged or badly influenced by films like "Hostel"  (which I wouldn't see even if I were getting paid to write reviews) than by this one.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 11:37:53 AM by Paul_Gibbs »
"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2006, 01:17:29 PM »
Paul is right: everyone is entitled to be offended by whatever they want. That said, let's try to avoid derogatory uses of words like "homos."
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2006, 02:34:54 PM »
The only thing that bothers me is when people say that people have a right to see this film implying that everyone has to see this film.

This is a film that some may want to see. It might also be best if some people don't see it. People should know for themselves which category they fall under.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2006, 09:15:58 PM »
Paul is right: everyone is entitled to be offended by whatever they want. That said, let's try to avoid derogatory uses of words like "homos."

"Do, or do not. There is no try." Let's just NOT use words like that, please? I mean, Where I come from we have another word for them: we call them people. You can register your disapproval without spewing hate.

"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

akeyataa

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2006, 12:36:52 AM »
I didn't say it wouldn't be critically acclaimed or not win awards, I just said that the (I assume) target audience found the concept ridiculous.  

That, of course, has no bearing on the actual content of the film, or the direction, or whatever.  

I do wonder, however, that this film has everyone up in arms and offended (or trying very hard not to be), and no one is offended or speaking out against the new trend in torture movies (The Saw, Hostel).  Kind of a sick statement about our society in general I think.

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2006, 04:48:22 PM »
I didn't say it wouldn't be critically acclaimed or not win awards, I just said that the (I assume) target audience found the concept ridiculous.  

That, of course, has no bearing on the actual content of the film, or the direction, or whatever.  

I do wonder, however, that this film has everyone up in arms and offended (or trying very hard not to be), and no one is offended or speaking out against the new trend in torture movies (The Saw, Hostel).  Kind of a sick statement about our society in general I think.

I totally agree about the "Hostel" point. You could not be more right about that. Look at how many young people saw the "Kill Bill" movies and loved  them?

No one who isn't gay is going to see "Brokeback" and decide "Hell, I think I might try that. Nothing good on TV anyway." Anyone who is leaning that way may, possibly, be prompted to talk to someone about what they are feeling. Not a bad thing, as far as I'm concerned.

As for the target audeince issue, I don' see "Brokeback" and "Rent" as being aimed at  the same target audience just becasue they both have gay characters. "Rent" was an in your face, flamboyant (which I liked, don't freak out), wheras as "Brokeback" is not onlya subtle drama, but one in a western setting. Totally different audiences.

"Rent" was aimed at the musical thatre crowd, which admittedly includes a lot of gay people, but still, it's more about the music than anything else. "Brokeback" is really not specifically aimed at at a gay audience - it's an Ang Lee movie, which means it's it is not aimed at anyone is particular, it's just aimed at people who appreciate excellence in filmmaking.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 05:22:06 PM by Patrick_Gibbs »
- Sting

akeyataa

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2006, 06:04:49 PM »
I don't ever freak out--I can't imagine what you would be referring to! ;)

I suppose you're right, my husband knows every lyric from Rent and would probably kill himself before he saw this one--simply because it's about cowboys.  

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2006, 06:19:59 PM »

Look at how many young people saw the "Kill Bill" movies and loved  them?

I liked kill bill 1 (not seen 2 yet). Admittedly, I was laughing the whole movie at the OTT blood, but I'm like that.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2006, 07:04:32 PM »
I don't ever freak out--I can't imagine what you would be referring to! ;)

I suppose you're right, my husband knows every lyric from Rent and would probably kill himself before he saw this one--simply because it's about cowboys.  

That's hysterical! People were very confused when I told them that the gay content in "Brokeback" didn't bother me, but I was really sick of cowboys by the time it was over. I mean, what is up with bolo ties? It looks like you are wearing a shoelace around your neck.
- Sting

akeyataa

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2006, 07:34:06 PM »
yeah, skinny little ties and gigantic belt buckles.  I don't get it.  

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2006, 08:17:49 PM »
Why do some cultures insists on women wearing rings to lenghten their necks.

You just have to think of cowboys as being a seperate culture. Well, it's actually an American sub-culture.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2006, 03:54:25 AM »
The only thing that bothers me is when people say that people have a right to see this film implying that everyone has to see this film.

Just because people have a right to do something, it doesn't follow that everyone must do that thing.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder