Author Topic: I suggest...  (Read 8005 times)

Manny

I suggest...
« on: August 25, 2003, 03:59:52 PM »
...that you review this webcomic.

http://fivecomix.keenspace.com

I hope this isn't considered a shameless plug. It's not my website, and I don't give a rat's ass if anyone else reads it.

I've just never seen such a melange of comics before on one site.  The original series "five"...I can't even tell if that's supposed to be funny. It's more creepy than anything.

As far as YOUR site goes, I suggest a constant ticker which shows the amount of time a person has wasted of their own life, starting from the day they were born.

Gratzi,

Manny

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: I suggest...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 04:37:17 PM »
That would be even cooler if we could do it without asking what day you were born--we'd just know, thanks to our inside information from the alien-controlled government. We're watching you, yes, and you look delicious.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 05:05:09 PM »
lip-smacking, gob-stoppering YUMMY!

So, Tage, Sprig, see that suggestion? Get on it.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 09:43:45 PM »
Lol.  I actually considered Fivecomix to review once.  The thing is, I found the comic to be far too vulgar for my tastes.  (Which is saying a lot, since I didn't mind Chopping Block.)  So, in the interest of being fair, I decided I wasn't the proper person to review this comic.  I wasn't willing to read it enough to give it an honest criticism.  

I'm not trying to be prudish, Manny, but I looked at the site again.  I REALLY don't think the author would want me to review it.  If you can't say something nice (or at least constructive) don't say anything at all....
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 10:09:11 PM »
Since i am apparently the resident strong stomach, having read through Exploitation now in its entirety, i may take a look.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2003, 10:27:23 PM »
On the first version of TWG a long time ago we had a ticker that would keep track of how much time you spent at TWG.  It wasn't anything fancy and reset if you left the site, if we realy wanted we could use a cookie to keep track of the total time you were on the site and how long you've been comming to the site.  It dosen't seam worth it ATM but if more people ask I'll consider doing it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2003, 10:42:59 PM »
Do it! Have it appear underneath our pictures, with the line, 'Time wasted: Xhours Ydays since [date]'.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2003, 10:44:40 PM »
/me votes for the proposal again.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2003, 10:45:49 PM »
Ahh you wanted it posted in the forum.....Well we'd have to wait for the new forum I'm not going to try and mix PHP and perl.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2003, 01:38:04 AM »
Not so sure it's a good idea...I, for one, would be scared to know how much time I waste. It might actually encourage me to...*shiver*  DO something.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Manny

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2003, 01:45:18 AM »
I agree about the vulgarity. The "five" series was a little too over the top for me...I mean, it was vulgar, but the writing style was just bizarre....it was like a philosophy book gone wrong.

The "In Poor Taste" comics were hillarious, though. They tended to border on racist and crude, but I think it's pretty evident that the author doesn't really intend them to be hateful.  They're just so freaking weird. It's strange to think of He-Man as gay....Awesome!!!

I'd be interested to see what you guys had to say about it. The other reviews were so literate.

I thought the animations on the site were kind of weak, but I have to give the person credit for having so much content of different styles.

Manny

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2003, 11:46:16 AM »
Couldn't you just rig the counter to the login/username? So that I could see how much time I've wasted total, no matter what computer I was on?

I think it would be cool. Maybe it could even be a profile option for that those that don't want to know how much time they have wasted.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Manny

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2003, 02:10:17 PM »
I think however it's done, it needs to be as dismal as possible.  Like, it needs to be such an over-the-top reminder of mortality that the person barely has the energy to click any other links.  

Maybe include Scythie, the animated scythe who follows you around the site swinging at you every 5 minutes or so.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2003, 05:08:35 PM »
That misses the point of the site. We take JOY in wasting time. Bigger numbers are better. not depressing.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2003, 07:38:32 PM »
I agree with Saint. I love timewasting. I hate doing work.

Fellfrosch