Author Topic: bylines  (Read 8382 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
bylines
« on: September 03, 2003, 05:20:30 PM »
Just going to renew my bi-monthly gripe that the AUTHOR byline should really be on the main page of the site, as that is a much more handy piece of info for visitors than the person who posted the article they didn't write.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: bylines
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2003, 06:59:56 PM »
Hey, that's one of my favorite gripes.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2003, 07:05:11 PM »
I aim to please

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2003, 07:55:19 PM »
Yeah I'd have to third that gripe. As much as I love wasting time, I'm on a 56k, and I don't like loading a nw page and scrolling to the bottom to see the author.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2003, 12:48:30 PM »
Just to be clear on this, I have no intention of making this change. Ever.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2003, 01:26:11 PM »
That's because you're a stubborn git, Tage.

See, some of us try to make a livlihood off our creative production, not refusing to be user friendly. People who I speak to want to know what I write, and yes, honestly TWG is one of the references I make. They go to a site, and there's a list of articles on the introductory page, which soemtimes I've written as many as 4 or 5 of. But does it say that? No, it says "posted by Fellfrosch." Which you and I both know means he's the admin who linked it to the front page, but which no casual user has any reason for knowing. The second thing they notice is that a search for my last name doesn't turn up anything. Which again makes them think I'm talking out my arse when I tell them that my work is published on this online zine.

A third reason, frankly, there are some reviewers (not naming anyone) in the past who I've decided to either not read at all or to take with giant bags of salt. It is nice to be able to see this BEFORE I go to the page, esp. when I'm on a dial up connection. Remember that the number of people with regular browsing access to broadband connections is still very small, so I'm not alone in this.

In other words, this isn't a nitpicking thing for me. This is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE for me on this site. It's MUCH more important than a message board with neat doohickeys for tracking characters, or a new site design, and especially more important than a poll. It's a professional issue as well as convenience.

And it REALLY bugs me that you just write it off that way without thinking that it's something even worthy of attention.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2003, 01:56:40 PM »
I'd have to agree that it's very useful to see the author on the front page, and not useful at all to know who posted it.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Tage

• Level 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2003, 02:19:45 PM »
I'm not saying it wouldn't be useful, I'm saying the mechanics behind it would be extremely complicated. The news posts are in now way tied to the articles. This allows us to make news posts without having to post ariticles, and vice versa.

Unfortunately for me I just thought of a way to do this. I hate when people bring things to my attention and my subconscious starts working on them.

I'm admittedly surprised that the search doesn't include the author. I could have sworn it did. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

EDIT: Search now includes author, and defaults to 100 results instead of 10. Also, the search results show the author of the article.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2003, 02:25:45 PM by Tage »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2003, 02:48:39 PM »
Mark another vicotry for the snarky arse.

Of course, to be properly penitent, I should point out that I did remember that Tage had talked about major coding problems with this before. So I was being kind of a jerk. I apologize. I felt bad, and I shouldn't have written the last sentence of my previous post, nor really the first, though that one, at least, was funny.

Anyway, I have also thought up a solution! One that is much less work for Tage and a little more for Fell! This involves no coding: Fell simply identifies the author in the little blurb! By name! He already writes something, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Of course searchable options are nice. Thanks for that. I likes it. (this I say without having used it, since I'm at work, but I definitely likes the concept).

Now, if you are going to implement a code solution to the blurb issue, this is a completely uneccessary but kinda nifty add in. The author's could be a link to either/or both of the following.
a) a search by that author's name for articles (which in my wildest fantasies also have the "bio" as well as the list of articles).
b) the author's forum member record.

Just a cool little brainstorm.Entirely uneccessary. I do like a code solution better than Fell just putting in the name, but whichever we agree upon, I'm happy.

Anyway, Just to repeat, this time I *was* a "snarky arse." And I feel bad about it. So I'll shut up now.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2003, 03:11:24 PM »
And it REALLY bugs me that you just write it off that way without thinking that it's something even worthy of attention.

Well most things/people are beneath Tage.  He just does the occasional thing to keep the teeming masses content.

And we all know the only person's reviews that you read SE are your own, so I don't know why your so insistent on this.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2003, 03:12:05 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2003, 05:00:18 PM »
well, I am egomaniacal. But not THAT bad.

Tage

• Level 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2003, 05:18:46 PM »
You know what I love about Spriggan? His wild, unprovoked personal attacks on anyone and anything, thrown about randomly. It really spices up the boards.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2003, 05:29:48 PM »
glad I'm good for something.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2003, 06:00:09 PM »
Do you get paid for that?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2003, 06:01:25 PM »
nope youre love and affection is enough payment for me.