Departments > Movies and TV

Alice in Wonderland ::Maybe Spoilers::

(1/3) > >>

Miyabi:

OK so I personally loved the movie.  A lot of my friends however - who claim to be huge Burton fans - complained about the ending being lame.

I watched it in IMAX, it was a four hour drive both ways, but we got the midnight release in IMAX. ha ha.  The plotting was brilliant for a sequel. =]

Honestly . . . don't claim to be a Burton fan, then complain about a classic Burton ending.  Sheesh.

What did you guys think of it?

clarissavandell:
I went with a friend, and we both wore lame costumes for fun.  I looked more like Dorothy in Wizard of Oz than Alice, however.

Aside from that, I found it a fun movie.  The heads floating in the moat were a nice, Burton-esque touch, I think.  I agree, it fit with the traditional story, and I felt like it kind of completed the story.  We never DID find out how Alice got to be in Wonderland in the first place; what made her so special?  How did she end up in Wonderland/Underland when no other children did?

And I like Johnny Depp as the Hatter... the dance at the end was a bit pointless, but I think he did a pretty good job at his character.  And the quote about the best people being mad... I liked that.

Jexral:
Hmm... I really like most films by Burton, but hated this one, largely because of the end.  It wasn't, as you say, a "classic Burton ending."  He abandoned the characters in lieu of a relatively uninteresting and unbelievable action sequence.  Look at Big Fish or Corpse Bride.  Sure, they get more exciting at the climax, but he doesn't obliterate all the interesting things about the characters, and make them mindlessly fight.

I dunno.  The only one of his films I liked worse than this one was Sweeny Todd, though, I'm really not sure why I didn't like that movie. 

clarissavandell:
When you say mindless... Well, that's a bit of the point to the Alice in Wonderland story, isn't it?  I don't know, perhaps I'm just trying to justify the fact I liked the movie...  But the ending did lack something for me.

I thought it was the stupid dance, personally.

And I don't think they 'mindlessly' fought.  They're fighting for the crown to be liberated from an usurping, tyrannous queen. 

Miyabi:

For me everything fit and made sense.  The ending seemed perfect.  Each side fought for their leader and the good guys won.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version