Author Topic: The Origins of Allomancy *Spoilers*  (Read 9003 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: The Origins of Allomancy *Spoilers*
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2008, 12:29:20 AM »
I am almost finished with WoA, with just about 80 pages left to read.
If you haven't read the last 80 pages, you really should not be reading most of the threads here. Almost all the speculative threads hinge on something revealed in the last 80 pages.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Vambram

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Multiply page
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2008, 12:49:32 AM »
I am fully aware that if I read something here, that there is a good chance of a spoiler from WoA being revealed. I don't mind. :)
Death is as Light as a Feather;
but Duty is as Heavy as a Mountain

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2008, 01:13:20 AM »
You're cheating yourself out of the proper reading experience.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Vambram

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My Multiply page
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2008, 01:28:53 AM »
WELL, since I have well over 800 novels in my collection, and I have been reading sci-fi, fantasy, and other forms of fiction for well over 30 years, I shall, instead of arguing with you, simply choose to disagree agreeably, and please ask that you do not tell me what I am or am not doing with my own reading experiences.

Thank you.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2008, 01:41:40 AM »
Well, I won't tell you again, since once is enough. However, I will certainly not take it back because I believe it very strongly.

But you are of course free to do whatever you want with whatever book you choose to pick up. (Er, at least, according to copyright and fair use.)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 01:43:19 AM by Ookla The Mok »

Vambram

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My Multiply page
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2008, 01:47:47 AM »
So, lets talk about the origins of allomancy, and just how does an allomancer actually burn the metals in their stomachs, .. shall we? :)
Thank you.

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2008, 03:20:43 PM »
I am sorry, but the only thing we know is from one of Vin's quote who said that she did not know how she was burning metal and that the important thing to her was simply that she could.

Actually, I do not believe we can find out how all magic systems works in all of the fantasy books. Why should we bring an imaginative world to our level ? You could tell us what you think of its workings, but I doubt it will even be answered in MB3. But do try, if you please.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2008, 03:42:53 PM »
Only EUOL knows for sure, and he hasn't told us yet.  Until then, something that specific, which has little bearing on the story, probably won't come out in the books, especially if you consider it is all in first person POV, and the characters don't know how it works either.  We can guess all day, but this is something EUOL will have to tell us, if he so chooses.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2008, 06:53:10 PM »
"burn" is also a figurative term. They could easily have used another term like "drain" or whatnot. Doesn't Vin talk of the metals inside her as "reservoirs"? (I'm thinking of the part where Sazed gave her feruchemical store to swallow.)

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2008, 07:20:42 PM »
I am also curious to know if the metals even need to be in the stomach.  Could they technically still be in your mouth.  How about the bloodstream?
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2008, 10:14:43 PM »
The "origins" of Allomancy seems like a question that has two parts.  When & How.

The How part does seem to be addressed at the end of WOA, with the quote posted earlier by Vin.

However, it seems like Allomancy existed before that.  Does anyone remember any references about Alendi burning metals?

The connection that made me think about the "When" was Vin and Alendi.  They both felt the thumping.  There does seem to be some "interesting" and "abnormal" effects when it comes to vin and sensing Allomancy, however, the fact remains that she only hears the thumping (I think) when burning bronze.

If that's the case, it seems like Alendi would of been burning bronze as well, meaning that Allomancy existed before that point.

I'd have to reread WoA and see if there is evidence for this.  I seem to recall at least one point where she turned on bronze and felt the thumping, but it also wouldn't suprise me if Vin had bronze on pretty much all the time.  If that was the case, than maybe she didn't need to be burning it to hear the thumping, it's just that she happened to be doing so.

Vambram

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My Multiply page
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2008, 11:52:32 PM »
"burn" is also a figurative term. They could easily have used another term like "drain" or whatnot. Doesn't Vin talk of the metals inside her as "reservoirs"? (I'm thinking of the part where Sazed gave her feruchemical store to swallow.)
In Final Empire, I remember when Kelsier gave a vial of metals to Vin for the first time, and she swallowed them, she described it as feeling a reservoir of power that seemed to awaken within herself, or something like that. I don't remember if Kelsier or any of the other more experienced Allomancers have ever described how they "burn metals" but its just something that they simply do. That is why I asked the question wondering if there were any answers or theories about just actually how do the Allomancers burn metals.

I am also curious to know if the metals even need to be in the stomach.  Could they technically still be in your mouth.  How about the bloodstream

So far, I only remember an Allomancer burning or using the metals if they were already in their stomach, not simply in the mouth or bloostream. Thats why, in my opinion, they drink down the metal beads in a vial of water or another type of liquid, so that the metal can quickly get down into the stomach. But this brings up another question of mine.
After drinking a vial of metals, how quickly do the metals travel down the throat and into a body's stomach so that they can be "burned" or as Ookla also suggested, "drained."

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2008, 12:00:52 AM »
So far, I only remember an Allomancer burning or using the metals if they were already in their stomach, not simply in the mouth or bloostream. Thats why, in my opinion, they drink down the metal beads in a vial of water or another type of liquid, so that the metal can quickly get down into the stomach. But this brings up another question of mine.
After drinking a vial of metals, how quickly do the metals travel down the throat and into a body's stomach so that they can be "burned" or as Ookla also suggested, "drained."

I think it's pretty much instant as soon as they put the metal in their mouth and swallow.  I think there is plenty of examples of this such as after Vin burns Duralumin and another metal, using it up, and then downs a vial and uses the metal they just used up instantly.

I'm pretty sure Vin does this specifically in WoA when she does a duralumin fueled Push to launch herself off the wall out to rescue Breeze.  She was then out of steel having just used it, but drinks a vial in mid air, drops a coin, and slows her decent using the Steel she just swallowed moments before.

Vambram

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My Multiply page
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2008, 12:11:43 AM »
Are there other examples of Allomancers getting instant usage out of a just swallowed vial of metals? Or is Vin able to do this because of how powerful she is?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2008, 12:20:54 AM »
Pretty sure  a metal is available for any allomancer as soon as they swallow, but I don't have specific references. How long it takes things to move down the esophagus is not necessarily widespread knowledge in this culture, so they may speak of things being in their stomach as soon as they're swallowed.