Author Topic: Query letter question  (Read 2543 times)

Kristal

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Query letter question
« on: August 31, 2007, 04:38:04 PM »
Brandon,

I know you have better things to do besides humor aspiring authors, but I'd thought I'd ask anyway.

From what I understand, you didn't write a query letter to get your agent?  I'm in the last stages of finishing my book (probably in the next couple of months), and every time I sit down to work on a query, I feel completely overwhelmed.

How does one write a nice, concise query when their plot is so entwined.  And if I break it down to really simple, all I am left with is something very generic sounding.  The uniqueness of my novel is more based on the power system I use.  If I skin it down to the bare bones it is just another hero trying to defeat a powerful and evil king.

(yawn)

But it IS a unique story.   I just can't figure out how to get it in a paragraph or two.   

I'd love to see your query, if you ever wrote one.  In many respects I feel our writing is similar (except you are much more experienced and god-like compared to me right now  :))

Thanks for you time...whenever you get some.  No rush.  I know you are working on your book tour stuff right now. 

I'm looking forward to reading Mistborn 2.  I have your other two books already, and you have become both mine and my husband's new favorite author.

--Kristal

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: Query letter question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 06:57:37 AM »
Whew.  Query letters, you are my bane!

Seriously.  I NEVER felt that I was very good at them.  I didn't use them on most of my novels, since I sent to places (like Tor) which didn't require them at the time.  With my agent, however, I DID use them.  Only the first one really mattered, since that hooked him into looking at some of my writing.  Even though he passed on that book, from then on, I could simply send him a "Hey, you want to see the next one?" email, and he'd let me bypass the query stage.

I did ask him, later on, how one wrote good queries.  Here are a few tips he gave me:

1)  Don't make the plot sound like a movie trailer.  Stay away from hypothetical questions, stay away from dramatic cliff-hanger sentences. 

2)  Do include a paragraph about yourself, but try to make the information in that paragraph relevant to your writing and the story.

3)  Keep it to one page. 

4)  Try to include a sentence or two that hints how clever your book is.

So, I think the trick here is to NOT explain too much.  There's a sweet spot for writing a query, one I'm not sure that I can do myself.  You're right--if you boil the plot down, it will sound dumb.  (Little furry-footed British guy needs to throw a ring in a volcano.)  However, if you can write a paragraph that doesn't try to cover the whole book, but gives a good idea of what is unique about the story, maybe that would work.

Aaaanddd...just looked at my original query to Joshua.  Ug.  It stinks hardcore.  You DON'T want to see it.  The only reason I got looked at was because I'd met him at the Nebula Awards, and he'd agreed to let me send the first three chapters along.  The query stank, but my writing--fortunately--was good enough that he was willing to look at something else by me. 

http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Kristal

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 06:50:26 PM »
Thanks Brandon!

I'm not sure if I'm happy that you wrote  bad query letters.   (sigh)   I might have a chance, that is if I can find someway to rub elbows with the right agents.  Which, unfortunately, I don't see happening any time soon.

I'm nearing the end of my 3rd draft, and I'll take a break from my manuscript at that point and work on my...gulp...query.   I keep feeling like I'm going to have an anxiety attack every time I think of this query thing.  The whole publishing industry is so vast and daunting, and there is so much that rides on one simple page.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice/input.   

--Kristal
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 07:29:51 PM by Kristal »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 09:33:28 PM »
If you want to rub elbows, you've got to go to the major conventions where the major industry folks are going to be. World Fantasy, Worldcon, Nebula Awards Weekend (okay that's not a convention, but the people are there and it worked for Brandon).
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Kristal

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 12:10:53 AM »
I mentioned that idea--of going to fantasy conventions--to a writer's board, and they thought it was a bad idea. They thought I should go to the writer's workshops instead.  The problem I foresee with that, is that most of the agents at a lot of those, don't represent fantasy.  And I guess Brandon is an example of one of these attempts working. 

So how does one approach an agent at ones of these without coming across as rude?

And I am curious, how many other writers visit this board and try and catch some of Brandon's author germs.  ;D  And how many of you are just fans?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 02:57:09 AM »
There are good science fiction/fantasy writing workshops; check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarion_Workshop

I think Brandon has outlined approaching editors/agents in previous posts here or on his blog. At the moment I'm not sure where to find them.

Many of the oldest regulars on this board worked with Brandon back at the Leading Edge magazine in college and/or were in writing groups with him at the time. Others have shown up later. There are quite a few writers, some more successful than others so far, as well as a couple editors like me and stacer.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Soryn

• Level 3
  • hey hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 03:59:06 PM »
And I am curious, how many other writers visit this board and try and catch some of Brandon's author germs.  ;D  And how many of you are just fans?

I'm both a fan of Brandon and a writer myself. Unfortunately on the forums I tend to mostly be a lurker, though--but I barely have time to check the forums at all. :(  I've found a lot of the questions and discussions extremely helpful though, especially this one. I'm only just starting a book, but someday I'll have to write a query! I feel it looming over me....

It's rather funny, I feel like I've had some practice doing some of those sort of things, since in school I have to write summaries for books all the time in one single paragraph. How am I supposed to boil something so interesting into one paragraph?!

Speaking of summaries, the Mistborn 2 book summary was almost dangerously spoiling of the first book. I've already had a few instances of interested people walking up to me and trying to read the summary. These usually end with me diving between them and the book and screaming something like "NO! You'll ruin the first book for yourself!!" Not really a problem though, I've mostly found it humorous. Sorry, got a bit off topic there.

GnosisPhoenix

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 04:18:07 AM »
Kristal,

I'm TOTALLY not a writer.  I'm a big fan.   ::)

Kristal

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 05:32:29 AM »
There are good science fiction/fantasy writing workshops; check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarion_Workshop

I think Brandon has outlined approaching editors/agents in previous posts here or on his blog. At the moment I'm not sure where to find them.

Many of the oldest regulars on this board worked with Brandon back at the Leading Edge magazine in college and/or were in writing groups with him at the time. Others have shown up later. There are quite a few writers, some more successful than others so far, as well as a couple editors like me and stacer.

Wow, an editor! (gulp)  Should I call you Ookla, or Mr. The Mok?  ;)

I'm sure if I get published in the future, I'll give my editor a good run.  I have a friend who, fortunately, looks over all my stuff and is very kind to point out everything I was quite stupid about.   I have this knack of not noticing even simple mistakes when reading my own work.  Such as shuttered instead of shuddered or his head lulled instead of lolled (Though I suppose if one was to lull you could very well loll.)  One my better (or worst) ones was when when my protagonist was practicing some fighting skills, imagining an appointment (supposed to be opponent...duh)in front of him.  I swear I reread it like 5 times, and still didn't see it until she pointed it out to me.  Then I felt like a ruddy fool.

Ok...I'm babbling...

Thanks for the advice, though I imagine I couldn't escape to that long of conference even if I wanted to.  My job as a mom comes first.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 05:34:03 AM by Kristal »

Kristal

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 05:36:16 AM »
Soryn: Ahhh a fellow writer.

GnosisPhoenix:  Ahhh, a fellow fan.

;D