Author Topic: King Kong  (Read 3187 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
King Kong
« on: December 13, 2005, 12:01:27 PM »
I saw it last night, and it is awesome: equal parts horror, adventure, and epic, but more than anything a surprisingly tragic love story. Very moving and astonishingly human--Kong is more well-developed as a character, with no dialogue whatsoever, than 95% of movie characters this year. The transition from the island back to New York is abrupt and weird, but it is the only stumble in an otherwise excellent movie.

The only problem I see are the demands this movie places on the audience: it's nice that it has so many genres, but to really enjoy it you have to be a fan of all of them. You can't go to see the tragedy without seeing the action; you can't go for the wild adventure without seeing the love story. I happen to love all of those, so I was with it every step of the way, but if it has trouble finding the audience it deserves, this will be why.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: King Kong
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 01:00:34 PM »
I was reading an article about how Jackson went back and used the initial script, and prints of Kong to rebuild his movie. Even scenes that had been cut from the original had been restored to the movie with newer scarier techniques... I do like that they set it in the 1920's because the idea of Kong in a more modern age just doesnt work. We know too much :D
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 01:11:48 PM »
Yes, the lost spider pit scene is back, and pretty dang gross, and the 1920's period works perfectly. It's actually pretty neat how well they capture the look and feel of the history.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 03:26:59 PM »
Its not like Shelob gets a lot of roles... :D

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 09:51:24 PM »
Just saw it. It is a very, very well-made movie.

I was a little annoyed that I didn't feel the acting was that great, but then I realized that it really is good acting. It's just that Kong is so well done that the actors have a hard time holding their own.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 01:46:35 AM »
I thought Naomi Watts was great, but you're right that the rest of the humans can't compare to that Kong/Ann relationship, and have trouble breaking out of its shadow.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 01:56:41 AM »
Pretty good.  Of course my favorite part was Kong vs the dinos, has to be one of the coolest fights ever.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 08:31:19 AM »
That Kong vs Dino fight is really amazing. Almost all the scenes on the island are amazing.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 12:10:49 PM »
The best part about that fight is that it keeps getting bigger and wilder. Just when you thick its over, it adds a new twist and the audience gasps and it gets even better.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 12:28:25 PM »
The review has landed: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1213

An incredibly favorable review, and one I agree with almost entirely--we even had the same favorite scenes.

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 02:21:02 PM »
The review has landed: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1213

An incredibly favorable review, and one I agree with almost entirely--we even had the same favorite scenes.

Thanks, Fellsey. I can tell you this - even "Munich," which I await with baited breath, will have a hard time ousting Kong for my number one of the year spot (an article that we will be submitting as soon as we've seen "Munich.")
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 08:54:04 AM »
I've decided that I'm dissapointed with the lack of golden globe nods this movie got. Probably was released just a little to late.

I disagree with Fell--I think the transition to New York was fine. After all the exicitement on the island, I didn't want to go back to vinettes of life on the ship.

I've also decided that Naomi Watt's best moments are her vaudeville scenes, particularly those with Kong. Kind of reminded me of Jonny Depp in Benny and Joon, but better looking.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 09:09:41 PM »
Alright, I'm enough of a man, I can admit it.

I cried at the end.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2005, 09:25:37 PM »
you cried when Kong levels New York and takes down a whole squadron of biplanes!!!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2005, 10:33:29 PM »
you cried when Kong levels New York and takes down a whole squadron of biplanes!!!

It is very touching.