Author Topic: 4-20-09 ErikHolmes, The Sword of Worlds Chs 1-3 v2.0  (Read 1631 times)

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
4-20-09 ErikHolmes, The Sword of Worlds Chs 1-3 v2.0
« on: April 21, 2009, 12:46:59 AM »
Sorry for the big submission and for posting twice in a row. This is a submission for a class that I need to turn in tomorrow so I'd appreciate all the input I could get. It's pretty much supposed to be what you would submit to a publisher (the first 3 chapters of your book).

Thanks in advance for the help!
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
Re: 4-20-09 ErikHolmes, The Sword of Worlds Chs 1-3 v2.0
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 01:36:24 AM »
It seems stronger.  It's hard to get the objectivity for analysis without a cooling off period but I think you've made improvement.  I'm still a little put off by Kail riding off into the sunset, then pounding on Elie's window, since it becomes obvious that he was at her window before the gunfight.  You may have over corrected a little in spots but nothing that stands out. 
I did have these questions.

Was this a typo?
"I caught sight of the front of my shi@t. I had forgotten that I was soaked in blood. I panicked for a second. . ."

A couple of places I saw tense shifts.

"everything seems unusually cold"
"I’m sure it’s full of wands"

Hope this is more helpful than frustrating.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 09:09:09 AM »
It seems stronger.  It's hard to get the objectivity for analysis without a cooling off period but I think you've made improvement.  I'm still a little put off by Kail riding off into the sunset, then pounding on Elie's window, since it becomes obvious that he was at her window before the gunfight.  You may have over corrected a little in spots but nothing that stands out. 
I did have these questions.

Was this a typo?
"I caught sight of the front of my shi@t. I had forgotten that I was soaked in blood. I panicked for a second. . ."

LOL, ya, that's a typo all right. Damn, I've fixed it a few times too, Word must keep changing it for some reason.

"I caught sight of the front of my SHIRT."

I don't know how to solve the problem with Kail riding off, then going back in time for Ellie's chapter. Do you think I should just cut out that first scene with Ellie and Kail and just start off with Ellie opening up her front door to the goons?

A couple of places I saw tense shifts.

"everything seems unusually cold"
"I’m sure it’s full of wands"

Hope this is more helpful than frustrating.

It's always helpful. Thanks for pointing those out.

I guess my big question would be: Did you think that the new chapter with Ellie I sent out was stronger then the first one? If you just had to choose, would you advise me to use the Gunfight Chapter, the Apartment Chapter and the Goons visiting Ellie Chapter, or Gunfight, Apartment and the Ellie and Sonja Chapter?

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 09:18:13 AM »
hmmm.

I think if those are my choices, the new Gunfight chapter and the Ellie and Sonja, but I might move the Kail and Ellie scene into a series of tiny flashbacks a few paragraphs into her chapter.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Flo_the_G

• Level 6
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 02:41:22 PM »
I saw a few of those tense slips, too. You could also substitute a full stop for a comma in a few places, at least in those scenes with lots of action. The order of the chapters works much better this way, imo, and I think that cutting the part about Ellie waking up would be a further improvement. It should be easy to insert somewhere why she's at home and not at work, and that she knows Kail and Lance, and cutting it takes care of all the chronological confusion it creates. I definitely prefer this version of Ellie's chapter to the last one, because it drives home the immediacy of the action and establishes a more direct connection between her and Kail (because they both encounter the bad guys).

Fore some reason I found the puppy-kicking to be somewhat comical, but maybe that's just me... :-\

What did irk me a bit about the torture was the fact that you seemed reluctant to actually hurt Ellie. Sure, you had her threatened and superficially hurt. But a slap doesn't really leave permanent damage, and she managed to avert the breaking of her nose, too. And then, when things could begin to be painful, you end the scene. Maybe a bit of finger breaking would have been in order here. Or maybe, again, that's just me. ;D

Overall I like this version much better, especially the new order of the chapters and the improvements you made to chapter one (there's another tense shift in the introduction, but apart from that it works really well).

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 11:54:00 PM »
I agree that this submission is much stronger. You really tightened up the action, and just that little bit of dialog at the beginning helped smooth the transition into everything going to hell.

I also wasn't jarred much by going back in time, but that could very well be because I was expecting it. If you can, try it on a fresh audience.

I wasn't a fan of how the villain was presented. The dark, stylish, handsome, sadistic villain is such a cliché. I also questioned why they even had to threaten Ellie in the first place. They found her house - they found Lance at his work - why couldn't they also find Lance's house? Wouldn't it be pretty simple just to follow him home? It felt like they were there because you needed Ellie to get hurt, not because there was really a good reason for it.

I also wasn't really feeling Ellie's motivations for not just lying. I think most people would agree that lying to men of ill intent who were threatening you with torture doesn't really constitute a breach of honesty. Plus, if you had Ellie lie, you could have her struggle with the guilt later on.

Sorry if this is too late to be of any help. Good luck with the assignment, and the rest of the book!

Edit: Spelling and grammar. Apparently I suffered from temporary illiteracy when I wrote this.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 12:48:39 AM by ryos »
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 12:40:46 AM »
I completely agree: this submission is much stronger. The new beginning to Chapter One totally made it worthwhile--that was perfect.

A couple of notes:
"smoke billowing out from under his new CRT helmet." -Great line.

"Oh ya, and he gorgeous." -Great typo. Haha.

Oddly, I have more problems with the Ellie chapter than before. The last time, I didn't have a huge problem with the change in chronology, but I feel it is more confusing now. We have a segment where we have the Kail/Ellie window scene, which sets up the expectation that we are slightly back in time. When the Sicko (by the way, I liked that Ellie called him that :P ) arrived and asked questions about Lance, it felt confusing. Why would they need to go to Ellie? Why would they find Ellie before Lance--why not just go straight for Lance? But then, it turns out they went for both. That part simply felt jarring. More puzzling questions: why didn't Sicko accompany his goons to get Lance? Lance is obviously the greater threat. Lastly, if they could find Lance's work, why would they need Ellie in the first place? Why would they even care?

I'm not feeling Ellie's personality at all, really. Kail has this humor which draws me to him, but Ellie seems boring. And when I'm bored about a character, I don't care if they are being attacked.

I didn't mind Ellie just straight up attacking Sicko instead of lying, but the part about her needing to be honest (that entire paragraph) just felt utterly weak. That certainly didn't help me like Ellie more.

Ellie's character just feels too weak right now. I think in this version, it's far more important to cut that Kail/Ellie segment than before. It feels more choppy than before, and doesn't really make Ellie a likeable character. Right now that short scene appears to only set up the fact that Kail, Lance, and Ellie are friends (which is important to foreshadow, of course, or else the action part of the chapter doesn't make sense), but does not develop Ellie enough for me to care.

The gunfight, however, was a huge improvement.

Final note: Mind control, eh? That sounds fun :D

Edit: About Chapter two, you still haven't described the wolf. :P
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 07:02:31 AM »
"My heart sank as an elderly lady, who must’ve been about eighty, began explaining to me her problem."

Heh. I remember this feeling very, very well. I wonder, though, if you could give us even just the start of this conversation - as far as the old lady starting to describe her problem and the narrator's sinking feeling while listening, maybe. It wouldn't take that much longer than the summary you've got, and it would help us empathize with the narrator a little more. That kind of immediacy is useful, particularly at the beginning of a story.

There's something about the way the narrator initial describes Lance that sounds very feminine. Maybe it's just the way you seem to be setting him up: as the jock/heartthrob archetype.

Your mom jokes? That sets a pretty firm age, in my mind. I'm thinking early twenties at the oldest. As long as that's what I'm supposed to think, no problem there.

The dialogue between Lance and Kail itself is fine, but even though you have particular actions assigned to each dialogue attribution here, the fact that you've attributed every one feels a little bit tiresome. You could probably lose some of those actions, "then I remembered, "he shook his head', or whatever altogether and we wouldn't miss them.

I'd like to see a little more tension when the guys in suits show up. We see that Lance doesn't like them - but we don't really know if he's afraid, angry, or not. If Lance isn't the type to show a whole lot of emotion, it wouldn't be bad to get a bead on what the narrator's thinking either. Is he afraid? Confused? What's going on in his head? Also, shorter sentences can really help put some extra terseness in there; your sentences tend towards longer anyway (note: not necessarily a criticism) so it wouldn't hurt to show some variety. Diction can help here too. You're using a lot of fairly neutral verbs in your descriptions. Maybe the guys don't "break off and take different aisles towards our area like they were trying to surround Lance"; maybe they stalked him down the aisles, surrounding him. That's a poorly written example, but you get the idea. And I think you could apply it to more than just this line (though trying to do it to ALL your lines isn't necessary either).

"Other people on the floor had started to take notice of the group of men..." -  I should bloody well hope so. What are they doing, other than just watching? What does the confusion sound like? Again, this might help to add to the tension; more than that, this helps ground us in your setting.

:People started screaming and running away once the shot was fired..." - again, show us.  You don't have to spend a great deal of time here, but you've missed the opportunity for some aural or visual imagery. Are people pushing and shoving as they run for the door? Do we hear just screams, or maybe people's feet hitting the floor? Did I just accidentally write a rhyming couplet?

(Hey, at least it wasn't in iambic pentameter...)

"The suit with the knife in his neck started to raise his gun, but Lance kicked him in the head, making his shot go wild." I'd be tempted to delete the "making his shot go wild", but alternatively, if you want to keep it in ... where does the shot go? Does it hit or nearly hit someone else in the background? By the way, at this point I'm starting to wonder where the other two suits are, and why they're not doing anything.

I seem to be noticing the same things over and over again in terms of your actions scenes, so I'll re-emphasize: More varied sentence lengths, more actual images (not necessarily visual, aural and other senses too, where they fit) to help ground us in the scene--and to help us keep track of where the characters (and objects) who aren't the focus of attention are. It's a tough tightrope to walk when the focus is so intensely on one thing, but remember that your characters do not exist in a bubble; and as readers, we only need the smallest reminders to accept that there is a world outside of where the protagonist is looking.

"I looked at the huge, bloody faced guy in confusion. He looked back at me. It was a very awkward moment."  I love the understatement here. Very effective.

The CRT helmet - awesome. More images like this please!

"The front of his white shirt stained black" - another nice one.

Kail is holding his dying friend. We have absolutely no bead on his thoughts. He's probably totally panicking right now. If he's not panicking, he's in shock. I think we need to see an indication of either one here.

Kail tucks the gun into his jeans. He's worried about running around covered in blood but doesn't think twice running around armed? Either this is weird, Kail feels better for being armed despite its conspicuousness, or you Americans really do run around with guns on you all the time...

Kail writes that he's in shock - over the shooting, over Lance's death, his violent impulses. I kind of like the way you've phrased it here, so instead of saying show not tell, I'm going to say show AND tell. Aside from Kail telling us that he's in shock, we haven't seen any indication of it. We probably want to see that indication a bit earlier than this. This line here would then be Kail calming down just enough to realize the fragile mental state he's in at the moment.

It's nice that Kail takes a moment to try and collect himself, despite the urgency of the situation, but again, you're basically telling us his thoughts here: the gunfight, Lance shouting as he dies, the dying suit. This is an intensely vulnerable moment, and if you use it right you could get us a LOT closer to Kail than we are at the moment.

Aaaaand he decides to get up and go just as the guilt kicks in. Yeah, we need to see more stuff like this; THIS is the kind of characterization we want.

"I looked at all of the stuff like it was part of some bad joke." What if he didn't just look at them? What if he started to laugh or something? I could see a little bit of hysteria sinking in by this point.

Kail has a fairly lengthy paragraph where he dons some of the items taken from Lance, tries on the bracers, etc. The level of detail is great, but getting it all at once feels kind of ... draggy. If you can't spread it out somehow, you can probably get rid of one or two of those details and they woudln't be missed much.

"I was sure it would be full of wands or pixies or something." Nice. I LOLed. (Good grief, I just used an Internet acronym as a verb. I am obviously far, FAR too tired.)

I like the wry humour in the last line of the chapter...

I'm not sure you want to have these guys actually kick the puppy. Kicking the puppy has become the instant stand-in for showing all things evil in the world. That and children.

I wonder why it hasn't occured to Ellie to call the police yet, or threaten to.

"Oh ya, and he gorgeous." This line seems really out of place with the rest of Ellie's persona. I kind of get the feeling that it was phrased this way to throw some humour into a terse situation, but if that's so, it kind of fell flat for me. I think it's fine for Ellie to notice that this guy is attractive, and it doesn't NEED to be humorous. It's just the way it's phrased that seems off to me.

So far, I have the same thing to say about Ellie's encounter with the suits as I did Kail and Lance: This situation needs more tension than I think is actually present. Again, I htink it's diction that will do the trick for you here; you're using a lot of neutral words. Find some loooooooaded ones.  But don't overdo it, of course. ;)

I like that Ellie is so unmanned by a single slap. It's very realistic. (Okay, and then she sacks up again afterwards. Still.)

Regarding Flo's comment, I'm not certain it's necessary to REALLY hurt her. That is, I don't think they need to cause permanent damage necessarily. Just the fear of being hurt, and pain itself, can go a long, long way - even more so if it's something you're not used to. Maybe if you emphasized that more it would help the believability issues some people seem to be having :P And actually, I think it would make a nice break from the usual torture scene with all its melodrama and permanent physical mutilation.

Judging by the ease with which these guys found Ellie - suits are phoning her house, for Pete's sake -  you'd think they could track Lance down just as easily. Either Lance had some way to avoid being found, in which case we'd better learn about it later (don't worry, for the moment I'm willing to wait) or they're after Ellie for some other reason and Lance just somehow made things convenient. I'm content to wonder for now. But I am wondering.

Okay, I'm having a bit of a problem with the age of these guys: I keep reading them as older than they apparently are. You keep sneaking in details like the fact that Kail gets paid $9.00 an hour, his your mom jokes, Ellie's remark to Kail about "my dad's gonna kill you one day". These details are great, and normally I'd laud you for it, but they shock me every time, because the person I've been reading as twenty-five has suddenly turned eighteen.

Regarding the whole Ellie chapter starting in the morning: I still don't think it's a huge problem, really; I think people should be able to make the leap. But then again, it definitely would help to have some line, early in the text, that specifically fixes the timeline for the reader, to make sure there's no confusion. Scanning what you've written, I can't think of an easy way to do that, or an obvious place for it. Maybe you could find one. Or maybe you could do something even simpler, like head off the chapters with the date and time. The one problem with that is if you do that for the first two chapters,people might wonder if you're not consistent about it later, and since I haven't seen the rest of your ms, I don't know if you want to be consistent with it. Or ,as you mentioned in the post above to Renoard, you could delete the Ellie-Kail scene altogether; I don't know how much we would lose. It's nice to see their relationship there, but presumably we'll see more of that in chapters to come. Of course, you may want us to be able to compare their relationship before the bad stuff happens with their relationship after. It's up to you.

Nice detail about Ellie's Arabian stallion (though, if the horse is a stallion, it's uhhh, probably not a she). Now we know for sure that she's financially pretty well off. Or that her father is, at least.

Wait, Sonja is Kail's mom? Wasn't Ellie waiting for Sonja to come home in the earlier scene? I'd thought Sonja was a roommate or something. Now I'm confused.

Oh, okay. So maybe Ellie isn't quite as financially well off as I thought (re: Sonja's line about the Arabian). And now I know why a "rich kid" is working at a call center for nine bucks an hour. Again, nicely worked in.

So, you were asking how Ellie was working as your female point-of-view character. I don't see any problems with her that can't be fixed fairly easily. I think the problem is that you're consciously writing Ellie as a female character rather than a character. For me the problem comes when she says things like "my cute chincilla" or "my cute daschund" or even the way she refers to Corwin as "my puppy" all the time. Those read to me like you're announcing that Ellie is female. You don't need to announce; the reader already knows, and as long as Ellie rings true as a character, we're happy to believe that she's also a female character. You don't have to go at all out of your way. And again, you've a knack for those little details that also help reinforce Ellie's femininity. The moment where she compares her much smaller stature to the suits is another.

To include, or not to include (chapter 2): That is the question. The answer: Yes. I like it for two reasons: This nice, quiet scene where Ellie hangs around at home, makes pancakes for her dad, etcetera, etcetera, makes an excellent contrast to Kail's first chapter, which throws us headfirst into the action. Contrast is good. I also like it for itself. There were times when the prose dragged, but I've already pointed some of those out, and the scene as a whole felt well-paced; it didn't seem unnecessary. And it means that we get to know Ellie BEFORE the thing with the suits goes down, which is really helpful. It's hard to start a book off with a lot of action - by which I mean bullets and fists flying - when we don;t even know the characters. You did a competent job of this with Kail, but because Ellie has been introduced to us fairly thoroughly when the suits show up, we care more.

Overall, stylistically: I really think it would help you out to vary your sentence lengths a bit more; you use a lot of long complex sentences and it gets a bit tiresome and talky at times. I think you could also cut down on some extra adjectives and trim some verbiage by watching for phrases like "started to pick myself up" when you could just say "I picked myself up". And while I know we're all sick to death of the phrase "show don't tell", I think you can do a lot more by showing than you are. Even the smallest things - "a piercing shriek" versus "somebody screamed" can be incredibly effective.

Alright. You can breathe a sigh of relief now, because I'm done. I'll shut up now.

...Okay, no, I won't shut up. I'm just going to go let loose a bunch more hot air where you don't have to listen to it.

Hope that helped.

RavenstarRHJF

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 10:32:44 PM »
I liked Kail's chapters put together, it just feels more logical.  You tightened up the action nicely, but I still think you could indicate the setting and where everyone's standing a little better if you just added some things like "looking over his shoulder" or "he came at him from the right," and "leaping backwards."  I honestly don't recall if any of that actually happens in your scene, but it would help the reader to understand what's going on.

I liked Ellie's chapter much more this time around.  You can bring in the fact that she's an animal lover later on, when it becomes plot significant- but good foreshadowing of that with the puppy and her reaction to it being hurt.  I noticed you took out the scene with Kail's mom... I don't know if I'd have taken it out, or just reworked it.  It does help us to understand Kail and his reactions a little better, but you put some of that explanation in the new version of Chapter 1.  Like I said... I don't know.  As for the "questioning," I've got the same concerns with them not knowing where to find Lance's apartment, and why they would go to someone as far removed from contact with him as his best-friend's next door neighbor.  Yes, they work together, but apparently not very often.  But I didn't think you went too easy on her.  After all, there wasn't much time for them to start hurting her between their arrival and the phone call that let them know Lance was dead, and that's pretty much where you cut off.  I'm still wondering why they didn't just call the company he works for and ask, or, for that matter, hire a hacker to get it.  You usually have to list your residence on your application at the least, and that kind of paperwork is usually digital in this day and age.  But maybe they just like hurting people... or maybe they're not familiar with the way things work in this world.

The dialogue, though... eh.  It's alright.  For some reason, it still feels contrived.  As mind numbing as TV can be, it might help to watch a few episodes of something just to get a handle on the way people talk to each other.  Or a movie for that matter.
A crown does not a King make, nor the lack of one a commoner.

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 09:06:54 AM »
I liked Kail's chapters put together, it just feels more logical.  You tightened up the action nicely, but I still think you could indicate the setting and where everyone's standing a little better if you just added some things like "looking over his shoulder" or "he came at him from the right," and "leaping backwards."  I honestly don't recall if any of that actually happens in your scene, but it would help the reader to understand what's going on.

Ya, that action scene is something I think I'll have to do a few more version of before I get it right.  :D

I liked Ellie's chapter much more this time around.  You can bring in the fact that she's an animal lover later on, when it becomes plot significant- but good foreshadowing of that with the puppy and her reaction to it being hurt.  I noticed you took out the scene with Kail's mom... I don't know if I'd have taken it out, or just reworked it.  It does help us to understand Kail and his reactions a little better, but you put some of that explanation in the new version of Chapter 1. 

LOL, so the day before I sent out my submission last week I'd been sick. When I sent out that version I basically had the 1.0 version of the scene with Kail's mom instead of the 2.0 version. The submission I actually gave to Brandon was The Gunfight Chapter, then the Chapter with Ellie in the morning, then the Apartment Chapter.

Like I said... I don't know.  As for the "questioning," I've got the same concerns with them not knowing where to find Lance's apartment, and why they would go to someone as far removed from contact with him as his best-friend's next door neighbor.  Yes, they work together, but apparently not very often.  But I didn't think you went too easy on her.  After all, there wasn't much time for them to start hurting her between their arrival and the phone call that let them know Lance was dead, and that's pretty much where you cut off.  I'm still wondering why they didn't just call the company he works for and ask, or, for that matter, hire a hacker to get it.  You usually have to list your residence on your application at the least, and that kind of paperwork is usually digital in this day and age.  But maybe they just like hurting people... or maybe they're not familiar with the way things work in this world.

You know, unless I add a few things in the first 5 chapters, those questions will never get answered in this book at all (but maybe in book two). Hmm, or maybe they can get a chance to question Sicko about it later on. I will say that none of the above methods would have worked though.

The dialogue, though... eh.  It's alright.  For some reason, it still feels contrived.  As mind numbing as TV can be, it might help to watch a few episodes of something just to get a handle on the way people talk to each other.  Or a movie for that matter.

All of the dialog or just the part with the goons? It's only the second draft and I've always figured that dialog is the last thing to touch up, but I am curious if you feel that way about all of it?

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 09:39:16 AM »
You know, unless I add a few things in the first 5 chapters, those questions will never get answered in this book at all (but maybe in book two). Hmm, or maybe they can get a chance to question Sicko about it later on. I will say that none of the above methods would have worked though.

I don't think you want to wait until book 2 to answer those questions. It's okay to keep us waiting a while, we're willing; but I think that'd be too long, and people would just assume that you don't know what you're talking about.

You don't need to answer them completely or all at once, however. You can string us along for quite some time on bits and pieces. We don't need to know everything right now; we need to know that there is an answer, that you know what it is, and that you're going to tell us eventually. A few hints can go a long way.

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 06:27:13 PM »
Thoughts while Reading:
I'm not crazy about your first line. It doesn't do much for us IMO and I rather you just get into the scene.

Umm... you are swearing quite a bit and it’s a bit graphic. It's not that big of deal, but just remember to tag your submits for that kind of thing next time. :)

First scene seems a bit glaze over and a bit too telly, but it could be a fun scene if you found a way to show it better. Oh, and some of the narration seems to just prolong and telegraph your action too much. Like this one: "I thought for certain that he was going to pull out a badge, and cause all sorts of problems in Lance’s life." I'd rather you skip and just pull out the gun. And this: "Everything went to hell." I would rather you just show me a lot of chaos rather than summing it up. Since there is a lot of action going on, try to simplify your sentence structure a bit and watch the passive voice. Okay, done here I promise. :)

"He pointed his hand at me and said something I didn’t understand, it sounded like he called me a giraffe. But the moment he said it my body went cold. An icy tingle spread from my chest to my hands and a look of shock and puzzlement spread across his face."
I didn't quite follow this part. Reactions of the characters just seem off.
Lance seems a bit too talkative for an almost dead guy.

"Lance has a really nice car. It’s a 2007 Charger SRT8, red with black trim."
This description seems way out of place.

"It was made of a wolf something and I’ll describe it later."
This is so telly that it takes me completely out of the story. I know it is first person, but be very careful about addressing your audience so directly.

You have a very fast paced 1st chp and then it slows WAY down in the second. I would try to bring in some more tension there somehow just even it out even if it’s just in the form of more panic in our MC.

Not too fond of this: "thinking about how cute and stupid this guy I knew could be" I think it distracts from the flow and would rather it be deleted.

The first scene in the third chapter overall seems out of place and I don't see it adding much to your story at this point. It also disrupts the timeline in a bad way. I would play around with it.

Next scene is much better.

"Oh ya, and he gorgeous." Not right now please....:P

Good cliff hanger.

Overall impression:
Okay, I am sure this looks bad, but I am interested in your story and think you have some good ideas going for you. I am interested in some of the mind control and other magics you hinted at. It is mainly stylistic stuff I was having issues with and that will improve with some more practice. You have so much action up front that I am having trouble getting a good feel for your MCs and I worry that you might have trouble keeping it up (as far as keeping your action from dropping rather than escalating as the story goes on). The first Elli scene doesn’t do much for you IMO,  and I would work on the dialogue, but it was a great start. :D.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 06:33:41 PM by Frog »
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.