Author Topic: 5 people from history  (Read 3494 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: 5 people from history
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2004, 06:56:34 PM »
Because - remember - this is for my history class, and the point of the exericise in MY case is not to form the best society, but to show which people you admire in history and to prove how much you've learned.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 06:57:09 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2004, 06:58:28 PM »
So I guess, a large part of the this question is what kind of specialties will be necessary.

I would have to argue that most artists, musicians and writers would not help a lot. Not that they are unimportant, just that they would need to have some other skills. So daVinci or William Blake would be better choices than say Elvis or Picasso. The purpose of art in societies largely to help pass culture to the next generation and for psychological well being.

At least one mechanical and one electrical engineer would be necessay, as well as a civil engineer.

Probably multiple doctors as well as a nutritionist and physical therapist/trainer.

Several educators and women who are willing and capable of having lots of kids. So anorexic super-models are probably not coming.

And of course, there will have to be some good administrators and leaders.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2004, 06:59:59 PM »
Good points, Jeff. And you'd want as diverse of a gene pool as possible.  Would you pair off couples, or just make sure that there was a set ratio of men to women?  Or would you want more women than men?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 07:00:31 PM by fuzzyoctopus »

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2004, 07:00:43 PM »
Yes, but history is relative about who they choose to honor. It's why I wasn't a history major because some of the dumbest people are glorified by history.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2004, 07:02:34 PM »
Probably more women than men. On a genetic level that makes sense, but the pologamy thing creeps me out.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2004, 07:11:31 PM »
one of my 5 is going to be Brigham Young. He has experience doing many, many things. From business to colonization to travel to spiritual advisement to societal structuring. He'd be great.

Also, more women than men. The polygamy thing doesn't creep me out, though I'd be afraid to try it, but ensuring a rapid increase in population seems ideal, so long as we can cultivate to match it (there's always the old exponential and geometric increase differences to take into account), polygamy seems like a nice compromise to achieve rapid population growth without too much danger of inbreeding problems.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2004, 07:16:57 PM »
Yeah, in the gene pool, men are more disposable than women. And family units would still be important to organize the people and to prevent inbreeding.

I was reading recently part of a journal written by my great-great-great-grandma. She was a polygamist, and I realized that it was better for her to have had the chance to have children than go her whole life childless. It was her 8 children that built her a house and took care of her when she was old.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2004, 07:34:55 PM »
are you technically a polygamist if you're married to one man who has multiple wives? Just wondering about term usage.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2004, 07:50:37 PM »
I would say so, especially in the Mormon sense where you're all one big happy eternally-sealed family.  Or however that works...
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2004, 08:17:45 PM »
Maybe it's like communism where if you support it, you're considered communist.  So if you support polygamy you're a polygamist?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2004, 10:43:02 PM »
Wow, I know my first choice would be MacGuyver.  Every one is listing some good people, but what happens if something goes wrong with the ship or you need a bomb made out of a paperclip and some chewing-gum.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2004, 11:17:22 PM »
No, No, No, No No, you have it all wrong. Here's how it works:

The Buddha - If we're not allowed Jesus, it helps to have someone enlightened. I mean, he's an ENLIGHTENED BEING. He knows everythign about the universe and reality. Kinda useful, don't you think?

Sun Tzu - His strategy can be applied to anything. Thus, he'd be a handy guy to have around, given he knows the strategical way to do evrything.

The dude who invented Everquest - Imagine if his powers were used for Good rather than evil.

Any Famous Ninja - Because we all need Ninjas.

Some really fat, ugly, stupid and smelly guy - See Scapegoat Theory.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2004, 11:22:44 PM »
I think one of the requirements is that the person has to be real.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2004, 11:24:33 PM »
are you trying to say macguyver isn't real?

HERESY!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2004, 04:53:26 AM »
Genghis Kahn, Napolean, Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, and Hannibal.

Because wherever we land may be inhabited, and we'll need to kick some serious butt.

The dude who invented Everquest - Imagine if his powers were used for Good rather than evil.

Any Famous Ninja - Because we all need Ninjas.

Bravo!  Ten bonus points to you both for making me out-right-bust-a-gut-laugh.

http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch