Author Topic: A celebrity who doesn't go insane  (Read 2824 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
A celebrity who doesn't go insane
« on: June 20, 2005, 09:27:16 AM »
http://www.examiner.ie/breaking/story.asp?j=3118110&p=3yy8yz5&n=3118202&x=

Gotta respect tom cruise for not doing the usual thing of going ape**** on the other guy. That makes him a rare thing among celebrity culture these days.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: A celebrity who doesn't go insane
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 09:37:06 AM »
Eh I'd rather have Russel Crow and Tugga' fighting 'round the world then Tom Cruse and Katie Holmes talking about how much they love each other any time of the day.

Trust me hitting someone with a phone is much healthier then jumping up and down on a couch screaming you're in love.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 09:40:13 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 10:26:56 AM »
What's actually cool about that is Tom Cruise NOT going ape makes the prank player look like a big idiot.

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 12:23:51 PM »
He may not have gone insane in this instance, but I have issues with Tom Cruise. For one thing, he doesn't think anyone should take anti-depressants. He thinks a healthy dose of vitamins can cure depression. Talk about not knowing what he's talking about!

http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/entnews/eo/20050603/111784140000.html

Not only this, but I totally think that Tom Cruise's engagement to Katie Holms is a publicity stunt. Maybe she thinks it is real, but for Tom it's just getting to kiss a beautiful young woman and get a lot of attention. I mean I don't usually follow news of the stars because I think it is somewhat boring unless something unusual happens or it is about my favorite actor or actress, but I've been bonbarded with Tom Cruise news lately, without even trying. I didn't see him go crazy declaring his love for Katie, but I heard all about it anyway. It's even on the local news broadcast. Totally for publicity!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 12:26:55 PM »
see, to get angry about him, we have to CARE about him

I just think he totally ruled with that reaction to the prank.

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 12:39:39 PM »
It's not that I care about him, but rather I'm annoyed about hearing about him all the time recently. That's all. In fact, I'd really rather not know about the personal lives of actors. It can really ruin some movies for me when I don't want to watch a movie with this or that actor because of something I know about their personal life. Also, it bugs me that he has vocally come out against ant-depressants. Unfortunately people look up to celebrities and it could cause people to go off the meds just cause he says that they should.  I don't think that's a good thing.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 12:40:15 PM by Jelly_Belly »

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 04:22:12 PM »
He's also a scientologist. -100 points. And I don't know if his relationship is a prank, but i'm not interested in prying into his personal affairs.

In the IMDB biography of Christian Bale (link) it quotes him as saying:

"An actor should never be larger than the film he's in." (Spin, March 96)

and

"I don't want to know about the lives of other actors and I don't want people to know too much about me. If we don't know about the private lives of other actors, that leaves us as clean slates when it comes to playing characters. That's the point, they can create these other characters and I can believe them. I think if you're a good enough actor, that's the way to longevity in the film business. Keep everybody guessing."

I think he makes good points.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 04:34:53 PM »
Christian Bale rocks.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 06:33:57 PM »
I agree, although I haven't seen him enough to really determine whether or not he is as good an actor as he seems.

As for Tom Cruise, I disagree with GrapeJelly. If someone decides that they agree with Tom Cruise, then that is their business. If they are basing their decision solely on Tom Cruise's opinion, then, no offense, it is their fault if they stop taking their meds and something happens. It is their own responsibility to know how they feel, and what works for them. So, if something comes of it, I wouldn't blame Tom Cruise for it, because it is the person's own fault for being irresponsible and lacking good judgment.
     As for Katie Holmes, let him date who he wants. Even if it gets insane amounts of media coverage, there are still two things to consider.
A) Why shouldn't he be able to date whomever he wants?
B) It is most likely the media's fault, not his or hers, for the whole deal receiving so much coverage.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 06:35:45 PM »
I agree, he seems like a very cool guy who is excellent and acting tormented, very human, characters. I'm just saying that based on Equiliberium and Batman Begins, mind, but I look forward to seeing more of his work. Cool guy.

Fellfrosch

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 03:00:12 AM »
As for Tom Cruise, I disagree with GrapeJelly. If someone decides that they agree with Tom Cruise, then that is their business. If they are basing their decision solely on Tom Cruise's opinion, then, no offense, it is their fault if they stop taking their meds and something happens. It is their own responsibility to know how they feel, and what works for them. So, if something comes of it, I wouldn't blame Tom Cruise for it, because it is the person's own fault for being irresponsible and lacking good judgment.
     As for Katie Holmes, let him date who he wants. Even if it gets insane amounts of media coverage, there are still two things to consider.
A) Why shouldn't he be able to date whomever he wants?
B) It is most likely the media's fault, not his or hers, for the whole deal receiving so much coverage.

I find myself leaning in this direction and agreeing with Archon. If people don't take important medication because of what a celebrity said, then that is just silly. However, I do think that Cruise's comment showed a lack of knowledge. I have found, though, that people who haven't experienced depression have a hard time understanding people who have struggled with it. They give you a look and say "Can't you just be happy?" That is one reason I am grateful for the challenges I have had--it has given me more compassion for others when they are going through something difficult that they don't have complete control of. Cruise obviously thinks that medication is not the answer--and, to an extent, drugs are not a "cure all" pill. But they can help. I have seen them do so in the lives of people I care about.

Also, this is part of Cruise's religious beliefs. I don't think we can get down on him for that. We might not agree, but we can recognize where he is coming from. It's kind of like how the Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe in blood transfusion--we see that as completely ludicrous, but many people see facets of the LDS religion as ridiculous. It's all about perspective. What is truth in Cruise's mind is not necessarily truth in mine.

And what was so wrong about Cruise jumping up and down and declaring his love for Katie Holmes? Let the man be happy! I actually saw the show (funny, I never watch Oprah, but I was in the room eating while my roommate watched it), and *I* thought it was sweet. Perhaps that is because I am a silly sentimental girl, but I liked it. I liked that he said he had never felt that way before, that he was excited, and that he hoped everyone got to feel that way someday. I don't think that showing emotion should label you as a lunatic. And perhaps it IS a publicity stunt. Oh well. That's their business. For now, I'm happy that other people seem happy in love--celebrity or not.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 12:15:02 PM »
Well, you obviously missed part of what I was saying. Part of it was that I thought it was wrong for Tom Cruise to come out and publicly say how it was wrong for Brooke Shields to take depression medication and that her career was going down the drain because of it (did you even read the article I linked to?).

Also, if he is really in love, great. But I just wonder if it is real. And the hype that was created from this was on purpose. He helped promote this relationship, so don't even say it's not his fault that the media has been so focused on it. You don't think that he planned to jump up and down? You don't think he wanted as much attention as possible? Many actors and actresses fall in love and they try to keep it private. You don't hear about every celebrity relationship on the local news. But he just happens to tell the world right when they got together and just happens to choose to go to the Eiffel Tower to propose? No. Whether he is really in love or not, he did it all on all of these things on purpose to get attention. Don't even try to say he didn't. It was carefully planned and executed.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 12:26:11 PM »
But why does it matter if he's in love or not?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 12:35:15 PM »
So everyone that chooses a romantic location to propose is suddenly aiming for maximum publicity?

The main thing here is that you are apparently determined to talk about his love life. The irony is delectable.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 12:36:56 PM »
/me licks the irony, and too late realizes that the temperature is sub-freezing.