Author Topic: review: Mutants and Masterminds 2  (Read 2256 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: review: Mutants and Masterminds 2
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 03:57:11 PM »
I really need to try this game.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 05:13:12 AM »
Yes, you do need to play this game. You don't realize how empty your life is without it.

Course, I hope to run an M&M game in Utah County sometime this month, preferably before the 21st.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 05:13:28 AM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 10:04:09 PM »
You don't shoot Gerund. Gerund shoots you.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 03:22:13 AM »
Panthro, just what is a Gerund anyhow?

Hmm, we need to play this again sometime.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 11:20:28 AM »
gerĀ·und
n.
1. In Latin, a noun derived from a verb and having all case forms except the nominative.
2. In other languages, a verbal noun analogous to the Latin gerund, such as the English form ending in -ing when used as a noun, as in singing in We admired the choir's singing.
3. The name of a bad-as ranger in Living Greyhawk, played by the ever-popular, charming, and debonair Harbinger.

Hey, don't look at me. It's how the dictionary entry reads.

And, yes, we do need to play again soon.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 11:22:25 AM by Harbinger »
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 09:16:42 AM »
in the blurb, it was a Space Ghost reference. Be thankful I didn't have him shoot the theory of relativity.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 09:24:35 PM »
Okay 42, I was trying to think of how to emulate the ability of highlander immortals to absorb powers.  So do think this would work?  If you use mimic, give it the extras continuous, extra subject, stacking.  Flaws: limited (can only mimic powers of other immortals you've killed or whatever, rather than just anyone you touch), tainted (if you emulate their abilities, you also get their drawbacks, via dark quickenings/light quickenings and such).

At first you'd probably just need extra subject x2, letting you mimic/retain the essense of up to 5 other immortals.  If you manage to kill more, then you'd need to spend extra power points you earned to gain a higher max kill quota.  I mean if you wanted to get crazy, you could start out even at PL 10 with a max of 1000 kills; the most kills ever was Jacob Kell with 665, so I think its okay.

It might even be better to only have a smaller number in memory, b/c that is less things to keep track of.  Looking through 665 char sheets would be a little rediculous, basically just keep your best kills and don't worry about maxing out extra subject.  Of course with the stacking, maybe just keep track of the total kills granting skill or feat X, rather than their whole character sheet.

You might also be able to take mimic more than once?  That would let you mimic more stuff at the same time.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 09:39:11 PM »
That sound fairly good, though I think it might have some more flaws. Probably the restricted flaw except changing it so that the mimic ability only works when the subject is dying.

I'm not sure if the extra subject thing is really all that necessary. Course that really just leaves the immortal mimicking the powers of his/her last kill. So I guess you wouldn't need stacking either.

The quickening thing does make for one pricy power.

Which traits were you thinking of mimicking? Basicly, are you looking at the 1 point, 2 point, 3 point, 4 point, or 5 point base cost?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 09:40:20 PM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 11:15:54 PM »
Yeah its kind of tricky to figure out, plus I don't fully understand how the power works.  I think the base cost would be either 3 or 5, probably 5.  Otherwise it is doubtful he would be able to get full use out of the 50 power points.  I think I'll try making some other characters first and try this later when I am better at it.  Possibly he could switch what traits he mimics by returning to holy ground and meditating.  Like to change from mimicking a boost to his regeneration to mimicking all of his victims' skills or whatever.