Author Topic: Jakob the Liar  (Read 1191 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Jakob the Liar
« on: January 17, 2004, 03:19:24 PM »
Almost 5 years old now. A Robin Williams flick I picked up yesterday. Its about the Jews in WWII. Its both humorous and compasionate at the same time. There are a multitude of good actors in this movie.

Antal Leisen, Armin Mueller-Stahl, Liev Schreiber, Alan Arkin, Adolf Hitler(as himself), Justus von Dohnanyi, János Gosztonyi, Mark Margolis, and many others.

Jakob Heym (Robin Williams in overbearingly earnest mode) gets tangled in a string of self-perpetuating lies about a hidden radio, supposedly broadcasting news that the victorious Red Army is nearing. His desperate attempts to convince a clutch of insistently idiosyncratic friends (clichés to a man: Liev Schreiber, Bob Balaban, Michael Jeter, Alan Arkin) and obligatory Nazi bad guys that the radio doesn't exist are complicated by the fact that he's stashed a fugitive kid (a dead ringer--sorry!--for Anne Frank) in his attic--and by abundant evidence that lies are the best medicine for the ghetto's skyrocketing suicide rate. Copious unfunny misunderstandings and pratfalls eventuate in this Holocaust rendition of Fiddler on the Roof (you expect Williams to break into song: "If I were a funny man...."). Ultimately, Jakob the Liar loses its way for good in some very ugly violence and a rather nasty final twist: the film's ending might just be rubbing our noses in another feel-good lie. --Kathleen Murphy

Don't really understand what she means about the ending. But this is the 2nd best movie of 2004 that I've seen. (I've only seen Jakob the Liar and big Fish this year so far.)
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Jakob the Liar
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004, 10:24:28 PM »
I went and saw RotK again today (with my wife, which is a landmark case!) so that's currently topping the list for sure.

But Jakob the Liar, while a remake of another flick (I can't remember the title/lead) was pretty good. I don't know what this Ms. Murphy wanted. It wasn't SUPPOSED to be funny.

However, it does fall in the Robin Williams drama movies (Dead Poets Society, Patch Adams...) and I know that got tiresome for a lot of people. I have one friend who started complaining that Williams thought he had the answer to all life's problems and stopped seeing his films altogether.

I agree with Gemm that it was pretty good though

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004, 06:00:34 AM »
The movie had problems in the theaters because it came out soon after "Life is Beautiful" got big.  In this case, the similar themes hurt the second film, rather than bolstering it.  The Holocaust, as a topic, is so depressing that few people could take one flick after the other.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 09:42:11 AM »
That may be why it didn't bother me. I didn't see Life is Beautiful until it was in second run theaters. And I didn't see Jakob the Liar till it was on video.