Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Rifts
« on: July 02, 2003, 03:45:32 PM »
My my, is fell upset over that one :P

What would your version of the games timesetting have been fell? My first instinct would have been to use warhammers rules, due to their very bloody and high death rate tendencies. Low chance of survival seems pretty important in a post apocalypic game.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2003, 03:47:18 PM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Rifts
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 07:43:56 PM »
Wow, a Palladium game Fell isn't defending. I'm... er... speechles.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2003, 11:29:38 PM »
Sounds like a lame concept anyway...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 02:56:22 AM »
the concept is pretty cool, especialy if you like Rifts.  But I agree with Fell.  Why buy a game that's just Rifts but trying not to be.  I'd take the concept and use the new version of beyond the supernatual when it comes out.  That would be much better.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 02:57:01 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2003, 02:36:37 PM »
First of all, let me apologize for the virulence of my review. I try to be as fair as possible, but I honestly think that Chaos Earth is one of the most slip-shod, poorly-designed RPGs I've ever seen. Please don't take my white hot fury as an excuse to write similar reviews on a regular basis, however :)

I agree with Spriggan, really. Take Beyond the Supernatural (or any horror game, really) and play it that way. Drop the gung-ho military stuff and keep it simple. A game where you play as yourself (or a similar everyman) trying to survive the apocalypse would be fascinating; set it in your home town, grab a local map from the travel bureau, and start blowing stuff up with a big red marker. The characters have to find food and water, track down their friends and family, try to find out what's happening in other parts of the country, fight off looters, etc. I still like the supernatural, Rifts-y elements, but they'd be so much more effective if you weren't trained to combat them--what better way to emphasize the sudden appearance of demons in the modern world than to face them as inexperienced schlubs?

The key feature, I suppose, is that this setting should go in one of two directions: 1) a slow spiral toward decay, with lots of despair and horror, or 2) a situation that turns average nobodies into heroes. Palladium's version of the game didn't do either one.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2003, 10:32:24 AM »
Actually, i just noticed - we do not have a review of Rifts on the site. Whats up with that? Reviews of products without the actual corebook being reviewed?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2003, 11:27:02 PM »
whine whine whine
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2003, 09:14:34 AM »
Actually, it would be nice if we had at least one review -- possibly two, one from someone who liked it, and one from someone who didn't -- for every game system we can get our hands on.

Just from memory, we don't have any reviews for these core systems:
Paranoia
WEG d6
WEG heroic d6
Palladium
WFRPG
AD&D 1E
AD&D 2E
D&D
Car Wars (not an RPG, but we need to revive the old table top classic's popularity
Fulminata
Godlike
Pendragon
White Wolf

And that's just off the top of my head. Admittedly, some of those are quite old or outo f print, but I included them because I think we should shoot for comprehensive. Between Jeffe and I we could probably spit out reviews for every title on that list what do you think?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2003, 10:42:12 AM »
we've got several palladium core rules reviewed.  between me and Fell we've got all the core rules, I think. Ones we haven't reviewed yet are:
Rifts
ninja and superspies (mine is the first editon not the revised)
beyond the supernatural (we're waiting for the Augest release of the new version for this)
Nitebane (intresting game, but a little to dark for me)
mechanoids (I don't think this is a core, but Palladium says it is)
systems failure (this is the one I don't think me or Fell has).
And the old recon.

out of those that I beleave are cores that we should prioratise would be rifts and nitebane.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2003, 04:07:05 PM »
White wolf - i could do reviews for. I have half a Werewolf review i abandoned (couldn't think of how to finish it) sitting on my HD. Vampire i could whip one up i suppose... Mage no (never actually finished the core book). I could do a Demon review, but i would just re-iterate Kids one. Warhamer and Nobilis i need to finsih before i review.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2003, 04:31:15 PM »
You've reviewed several books. I haven't looked them all up, but to my knowledge, the most that's really been said about the rules is "If you like Palladium, you'll like this"

I'm talking about reviewing the rules themselves, not the book, not the presentation, not the organization. The rule system. IE, what's good to play. What are the strengths of the rule system? Where does it fall short? How easily understood is it? Is it for newbies or veterans?

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2003, 04:20:59 PM »
I've been working on doing the core Palladium books (going through Nightbane right now), but I hadn't realized we don't have a Rifts review anywhere. I'll have to do something about that.

As for reviewing core systems, I suppose we could do that...but it's not a priority for me. I personally wouldn't be interested in reading them. Maybe an article (or short series of articles) that compares the major systems. I don't know--what do the rest of you think? If there's enough interest we can look into it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2003, 07:24:59 PM »
a comparison article might be nice, but I agree why bother reviewing "just" the core rules when we review the core rule books.  That stuff should be included for the most part in those other reviews.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2003, 12:06:17 AM »
Mostly the point is to make the site a more generally useful place, and not just for the current core readers (think: expanding reader base). "What game should I play?" "What does this PLAY like?" "Hey, let's find out at TWG!" Just a thought. A comparison of systems would be useful that way, without having to slog through bits about setting that I'm just goign to ignore and organization with I can get around.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2003, 12:58:38 AM »
A year or so ago 42 and me thought that would be a good idea.  We even started to devise a chart plan that would list and compair all the core rules as well as giveing the adverage rateing of suplements for that system.  Never did, not sure if it's worth the time writting a PHP code to update the chart and such.