Author Topic: Sept 7-westwriter-heroes of the Necrowar-ch. 5  (Read 1422 times)

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
Sept 7-westwriter-heroes of the Necrowar-ch. 5
« on: September 08, 2009, 03:28:31 AM »
No topic was posted, so here it is:
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
Re: Sept 7-westwriter-heroes of the Necrowar-ch. 5
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 03:49:54 AM »
Overall impression: this particular chapter still needs a lot of work.  The storyline is good (battle in the town, hideous monsters, etc. is good stuff), but the delivery could uses some sprucing up.  Examples:

lThe first one had the body of a man- a giant man, but his head was that of some kind of giant creature.  It was dark gray with a wide snout.  The snout sported two giant horns, one behind the other.  It's hands were as big as giant pumpkins and had three large fingers.  It's hide looked like moldy gray clay.  It was as thick as an oak tree and it was holding a giant hammer which Will guessed was responsible for the door.   

Notice that you used the same sentence structure three times in a row, but that's not the main problem.  While it's good to give us a picture of what these creatures look like, put these description in motion.  Have the beast bellow and tell us how the horns on its quiver at the sound.  Show us how its moldy gray hide flexes as it swings its hammer; don't just tell us that it has moldy gray skin.  You can get away with that a little bit, but your reader is going to be more interested in what the creature is doing, so tell us that, and describe what the creature like while it is doing it.

Watch your use of passive voice, e.g.
"Dezkin was taken to the ground by a rope that had been thrown around his legs. "
  And,
“Just before they could lean in and strike with their hammers, their heads were grabbed from behind and smashed together.”
Passive voice doesn’t give your reader a very clear picture of what is going on.  For instance, if you said “A massive hand grabbed both monster’s heads and slammed them together” then we see what’s happening.  You’re trying to use passive voice to hide what’s going on from your reader, but you can do that with good action verbs instead of abusing the “to be” verb.

Also, vary your sentence structure.  You use a lot of short, choppy sentences in this chapter.  Example:
This man was obviously white for a different reason.   His pale color came from an apparent lack of blood in his body.  He looked like he was made of just skin stretched over bones.  His eye were milky white and sunk back into his head.  Only small patches of his hair were left hanging on his head.  He hissed through fangs that seemed more like an animal's than a man's.  His arms ended in big hands with long talons in the place of his fingers.  He stepped toward Will and reached his good arm toward him.  Abby swung her staff again and broke his other arm completely off below the elbow.  He acted like he didn't even feel it and kept walking toward Will.  Abby finally swung and snapped his head backward.  He collapsed, but still tried to get back up.

There are lots of other examples of this.  Liven it up for your reader and vary your sentence structure.

Well, sentence structure aside, there were a few other issues.  You state in this very chapter that the pods would only last an hour.  From the story line, will chews a pod, but appears to be normal once more in about ten minutes tops.  What happened there?  And how convenient that he runs out of juice right before he could save his dad.

Well, I’ve run out of time.  Sorry to be so critical, but I felt that this piece really could use some reworking.  I hope I helped.

this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

westwriter

• Level 3
  • Outnumbered by critics
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 02:39:24 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  I think I fell victim to trying to submit every week. Going to take a couple and rework this chapter and polish the next before submitting.
"I limit my writing to those few moments each day when my insanity goes on a smoking break."      greg

Hamster

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 05:40:23 AM »
It was a good chapter, but subpar to your other ones for a few reasons(I won't mention all of them, so just read Cynic's stuff again, cause he said alot of stuff I agree with)

Personally, I would move this at least one chapter forward in your timeline. It's a battle for the lives of all the townsmen, Will, his sister, his dad, and Dezkin. But we havn't had time to connect personally with these characters. To some extent I cared what happened, because I knew that it was important to the storyline, and I always like to see the main characters survive, but I wasn't hanging on every word, desperate to know what happened and who died/lived. I didn't really care if Dezkin was captured, cause I don't know him well enough to care, same with Will's dad. Now I got some emotion out of Will, but not nearly enough when his dad is capture.

He screamed, "No!" He had never felt so helpless.  He tried to hold back the tears as he turned and looked up the trail Abby had taken.   He listened to the sounds of battle.  He sighed and started up the trail.  He slipped deeper into the forest and left the town and all the people he loved to fight for their own survival.
That doesn't really move me at all as to his Dad's plight. I mean, He sighed and then walked away? It's kind've underwhelming.

I'm really sorry to sound super harsh and negative. I hope I'm being constructive here, it' s good, I just want to help ya make it better. :)  The action scenes were generally well written and gripping, but the flow of things happening could use a little work. ALso, this is a minor thing,and something that I messed up with doing in my first draft, is thatyou changed the pov from Will to Abby in one paragraph to the next, and then back again, but without letting us know you changed it. Now, I could figure it out, but still, it broke the flow of the fight scene for me.

Overall, a good bit of action that livens things up alot, which I generally like, but I hink that we needed more character development before it can really be effective. But I'm intrigued by the story so far, so keep it up!

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 05:38:37 AM »
I know you're not terribly concerned with grammar, but I noticed this three times in the first paragraph. So, a rule: "It's" as you've used it in the first paragraph is incorrect. "It's" is a contraction, "it is". "Its" is possesive, and the term you want to use here.

The action scene at the beginning of the chapter is falling a little flat for me, I'm afraid. I think it's because I'm not really getting any emotion out of it. Whether that's fear, panic, anger... I'm not really getting any of it. Even when Will is awed by the effects of the combat pod, you tell us rather than showing us.

When you mentioned "white people", at first I thought you meant caucasian and that your characters were of a different ethnicity. I see now that you're actually referring to albinos, but it was a bit jarring.

These thralls must be pretty fragile, since Abby is having an extraordinarily easy time abusing them. It feels a bit like a one-sided fight, actually. Why is she so much more proficient at this than Will seems to be?  Also, Will eating the pod when he doesn't know what it does to him seems like a really stupid idea. Maybe it's a desperate gambit, but it's still dumb. Maybe I'm just not getting the desperation that I'd need to buy this as a believable action.

In the middle of the scene you completely switch points-of-view, flitting from Will to Abby. I hesitate to say that you "can't" do this, exactly, though traditionally third-limited POVs don't change other than between scenes or chapters. If you're going to do this, I'd at least suggest some sort of in-scene transition from Will to Abby (he felt it starting to take effect in some way); that would also help the other problem I had here, which was that Will took the pod and then we seemed to forget about him for a while, instead describing the thralls crawling all over Abby.

Honestly though, I think I would rather see this chapters stay wholly in Will's point-of-view. The switch between POVs doesn't seem particularly necessary, and I think watching Will see himself turn into a stone statue would be way cooler. (Wow, that sentence sucked. But you know what I mean.)

I like that Will's stone-statueness wore off before he could help his father. And I like the fact that he fled the village, realizing there was nothing he could do. Or rather, I like the fact that he made the choice, though the way it's written right now I don't think it quite clicks. What I mean is that I think we need to see a little more of his desperation that leads him to making the decision. (Not TOO much, mind you. A line or two might help, even.) For example: is he realizing that there's ntohing he can do and will only get captured if he tries to help? Or is he realizing that he can be of most use if he goes to protect his sister? Also, the line "he sighed and started up the trail" seems awfully mild here for what he's actually going through. This is, or has the potential to be, a tremendously difficult decision, and I think with just a little bit of tweaking you could really make it have an impact on the reader.

Actually... I think I could take my whole critique and sum it up by ripping off quoting something Recovering Cynic said: The storyline is good, but the delivery needs some sprucing up. His points about the writing were good ones, too. Of course, that's the sort of thing that can be taken care of in a much later draft. I wouldn't be terribly worried about it at this point.

Hamster makes some good points as well, that I partially agree with. I didn't care too much about Dezkin getting captured, other than the fact that it's obviously not good if The Bad Guys get ahold of him. That's potentially problematic. Less problematic, as far as I'm concerned, is that we don't know the villagers; Will knows them, so in my opinion we don't need anything more than his connection to them to get us to feel for them, or at least for Will's loss. Of course, that means that Will has to emote much more than he currently does. He doesn't need to beat his chest and scream fruitlessly at the uncaring skies (or whatever) but we do need to get a little more from him.

That said, especially once you've gone back and added some emotion to it, this chapter has the potential to be a formative moment for Will, a turning point. If you want it to be, of course. This kind of guilt and remorse can really drive a character. Or break him. Or whatever you want it to do. :)

westwriter

• Level 3
  • Outnumbered by critics
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 04:06:39 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.  I'm actually going to resubmit this chapter instead of moving on.  I am changing it up a lot to show more character.  I am also changing the way it ends so i need to do this before I move on. 
"I limit my writing to those few moments each day when my insanity goes on a smoking break."      greg