Author Topic: Pirates:  Curse of the Black Pearl  (Read 3292 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Pirates:  Curse of the Black Pearl
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2004, 01:19:14 PM »
no, it definitely wasn't that she was too skinny.

And no, it's maybe not the same on the small screen, but since the scale is the same on the letterbox edition, the movement should be the same. The movement was mechanical and jerky in places.

Moriosta

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2004, 01:31:16 AM »
Well I loved pirates! But I didn't really liked Orlando Blooms acting. He acted the same as Legolas in the Lord of the Rings. Maybe I have seen the Lord of the Rings too much. ;D

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2004, 01:33:38 AM »
Yeah, Bloom doesn't seem like the greatest actor. Boyd and the guy who played Merry did better than him in LotR, in my opinion. Haven't seen this movie about pirates that everyone keeps going on about though.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2004, 02:06:34 AM »
Actually, at least some people think the acting in Pirates of the Caribbean is exceptional. Almost all of the main actors have recieved acting nominations or awards of some kind. Depp is up for a Golden Globe and there are rumors of an oscar nod.

From my perspective, Depp does a great job of playing a mostly drunk and insane person. Yes he does seem a little gay, but then again alot of men seem gay when they get hammered. And the fact that the movies shows off that they are very aware of Depp's strange character makes it all the more enjoyable.

However, I think what makes Pirates so good is the fact that most people were expecting it to be pretty bad when if first came out. It is based on an old theme ride. Yet, surprisingly it's a fairly well done flick.

And if you aren't sure what to think about Keira Knightly, then watch Bend It Like Beckham. She gets to show more personality in Bend It than Pirates. It is intersting to watch Knightly play soccor because she is so thin you expect her legs to just snap.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2004, 10:09:37 AM »
I just watched Bend It right before Christmas and loved it so much that that's what I'm picking for my Christmas present (going to Walmart and returning all the things I didn't need/want and coming back with that). I loved the exploring of English Indian culture, the conflict between family obligation and personal desire. Plus it was just a beautiful movie, visually.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2004, 04:44:41 PM »
I think the gayness of Depp's character was part of the point, along with the insane-ness and the stoned-ness. You really have no idea what his deal is, which is why it's such an incredible character. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he got an oscar nod--it's just so rare that you see a completely original character in a movie these days.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2004, 03:13:51 PM »
Speaking of Keira Knightly, I recently learned (watching the DVD) that she was only 17 when that was filmed.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2004, 07:22:44 PM »
She looked a lot older. I would have guessed 20.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2004, 07:40:30 PM »
jah I agree
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2004, 05:17:46 PM »
I've noticed that Knightley's mouth takes on an odd shape when she talks, maybe that's what Saint was seeing.

And Saint, I think the movie will grow on you. For me, it's not that the movie is AMAZING, but it's good, clean family fun, and there aren't that many movies like that.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2004, 05:19:21 PM »
I don't see myself watching it enough for it to grow on me, since I have precious little TV time as it is, and other movies I already love to watch in the time I do have.

And i think it's more the shape of her head, like Kije said, I think. At any rate, now that I know how old she was, it might be a little bit Jail Bait too.