Author Topic: July 27 Frog DR Chp1  (Read 2188 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: July 27 Frog DR Chp1
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 02:11:36 PM »
Finally getting around to continuing DR. Dur, I've been slow. Okay, that was a terrible pun off the non-title.

Too little description for my taste. I didn't know the setting was in a desert until the dialogue told it to me. I don't feel the ambience or any background.

The genie, as well, seemed a little off, viewpoint wise. Why would he describe himself in his own viewpoint? It seems to me like Aishia should still be the viewpoint character here, and it didn't feel that she was. If we were in Aishia's viewpoint you could keep a lot of the same prose. But then again, I like Genie's prose, too. So make a decision there :)

As chapter ones go, I don't have a good feel for the world and I'm not especially interested in it, though Genie and Aishia make up for it. Aishia's character started a little slowly but once we got the prophecy things got much more interesting. Now I'm curious as to whether you'll set up a "defy fate" storyline or a "self-fulfilling prophecy" storyline, or what. Prophecies are fun that way! Lots of cool things you can do with them.

I second everything else people have said, too. Though I prefer Genie over Djinni, if only for my overzealous affinity to a GBA game called Golden Sun which had djinn which didn't exactly grant wishes (well, now that I think about it, they did, it was simply a battle mechanic). Genie gave me a clearer picture.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Frog

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 04:00:53 PM »
Oh! Golden sun is a great game. Loved it.

Thanks for getting to it... finally;)
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 06:31:02 AM »
Oh! Golden sun is a great game. Loved it.

Thanks for getting to it... finally;)

Golden Sun is probably my favorite game of all time :)
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.