Author Topic: Moving to Utah County  (Read 6411 times)

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to Utah County
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2006, 11:13:03 AM »
I have to say that since moving to Orem three months ago, I really like it. I don't know where your husband will be working, but it just seems closer to every thing. I've really liked it and decided that when we buy a place, I want to look mainly in Orem (unless we can afford something more north, but I doubt we will). Also, have you checked out Realtor.com. It's a great site cause you don't have to sign up to look for houses and it pretty much shows all the houses that have been listed because it's the Official Site of the National Association of Realtors. It's really great!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2006, 11:31:45 AM »
I have to say that since moving to Orem three months ago, I really like it. I don't know where your husband will be working, but it just seems closer to every thing. I've really liked it and decided that when we buy a place, I want to look mainly in Orem (unless we can afford something more north, but I doubt we will). Also, have you checked out Realtor.com. It's a great site cause you don't have to sign up to look for houses and it pretty much shows all the houses that have been listed because it's the Official Site of the National Association of Realtors. It's really great!

He'll be working at the hospital in Provo, so we're looking to find a place within 15-20 minutes commute time. Of course, that includes Orem. We have looked at houses in Orem, but haven't found many yet that suit our preferences. Who knows, that may change. There are a couple of houses in Orem that we'll be looking at when we come down on Saturday.

We have looked at realtor.com and found it very helpful in getting a better idea of what houses are out there. The Daily Herald's website also has been a great resource for us (through which I found one in Mapleton that I really hope we get...).
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2006, 01:37:08 PM »
Don't overlook Lindon.  I've lived here now for almost three years, and I really like it.  It takes me about 15 minutes to get to Provo, but it's far enough away that you don't feel like you're in a college town.  Also, you skip out on the orem traffic on I-15 if you're going to Salt Lake, and you can take back roads to get to Provo to skip the I-15 traffic that way, as well.  Also, there's more variety to the houses, and less strip malls. (Always a plus.)  We even have our own WalMart now (which is evil, but convenient).

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2006, 01:46:18 PM »
I will definitely look there when I am ready to buy, but the problem is whenever I have put that into the search criteria for Realtor.com, it has not come up with anything in my price range. It's true that I'm poor and that is partly why, but even putting in $150,000 to $250,000 for the search criteria only brought up 7 results (and this includes condos, townhomes, and single family houses), with no results for less.

You can't really live somewhere that has nothing in your price range, which is why I'll probably have to stick to Orem/Provo/Springville area when I look for a place.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 01:47:23 PM by Tink »

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2006, 02:46:33 PM »
Good luck, Nessa. Hope you find a great place. I'm partial to Orem and Lindon myself. ;)
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2006, 12:39:22 AM »
We found a house.

It's in Orem (it's about 200 E 300 S). We gave an offer today and hope to have it under contract by the end of the week.

Although south county had a lot of beautiful homes, none of them grabbed our attention quite like this older home has. It's a fixer-upper, but it's a good price and a great house in a great location. We're excited.

"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2006, 11:53:37 AM »
That is so exciting! I can't wait till we can buy something, but unless prices go down in the next year, all we'll be able to afford is a small condo that doesn't even have a garage! A couple years ago prices were so much lower. How frustrating!

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2006, 04:50:03 PM »
Orem! Orem! Good for you. I'm glad you found a great home. :)
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2006, 04:55:38 PM »
The market has really inflated out here, you can expect prices to drop significantly in a year or two.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2006, 07:10:15 PM »
That's about a block away from Lovebasket (a good friend of ours who rarely ever posts here). It's a nice neighborhood, well done.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net