Author Topic: Moving to Utah County  (Read 6377 times)

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to Utah County
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2006, 01:15:28 AM »
Idaho is dirt cheap too.

That's why there are so many farmers there.

Edited to add: Oh, wait, I thought you said the dirt was cheap. ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 01:17:11 AM by Harbinger »
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 12:04:16 PM »
So we sold our house here in Salt Lake, even before we were planning on putting it on the market. Yay!

However, this means we need to immediately begin looking for a house, since now we're going to move in June instead of July.

This could be fun or very very painful.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 12:53:17 PM »
I live in North Orem and actually love it up here.  It's far enough away from the Y that you don't get the students everywhere thing, but close enough to everything else for decent access.  I don't have kids, but my neighbors are very complimentary of the Orchard schools in our area.

One thing to keep in mind with coming south. The construction on the I-15 corridor is going to get worse before it gets better.  Orem to PG is a HUGE bottleneck for traffic going both directions in the evening.  Not as bad in the morning, but if you mistime your evening commute you can sit for as long as 30 minutes in stop and go traffic.  I communte between South SLC and Orem every day and if I miss the window for going home and beating the traffic I just stay at work until after 6.  Better to be here where I can accomplish something than sitting in traffic and wanting to swear.  The current plans for construction will increase the  number of cross roads to I-15 and give stronger options for getting into SLC while continuing the I-15 work to expand the lanes all the way down to Springville.  Not to say that won't change, this was just what was in the last city update I got in the mail, but something to keep in mind as you figure out where you wanna locate to.

~J
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 12:55:51 PM by JenaRey »
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 01:08:14 PM »
House shopping in Utah County can be frustrating. It's often easier to sell a house than buy one. Hence there is so much construction to meet demand for more housing.

Course, in June you could probably rent a place for a month or two at the last minute if you run into a snag.

Good luck.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 01:57:41 PM »
Not as bad in the morning, but if you mistime your evening commute you can sit for as long as 30 minutes in stop and go traffic.

NO! NOT HALF AN HOUR!
On the best days my commute is 55 minutes. Stop your whining you panty waists!

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 02:14:10 PM »
*THIBBIT*

I wasn't whining, but commenting.  :)  I hate stop and go traffic whether the hold up is 5 minutes or 3 hours.  I'm sure there's documented evidence, somewhere, that stop and go brings out the road rage in all of us.
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2006, 02:25:07 PM »
The realtor we used to buy our house in Orem was awesome, Nessa. We've worked several after buying three times, and this guy was the best. I can give you his info if you like.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2006, 03:50:04 PM »
whoo-hoo, Nessa! That's wonderful to have your house sold way early! Although, hearing about your plans to move to UT county are making me rather homesick.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2006, 06:38:23 PM »
The realtor we used to buy our house in Orem was awesome, Nessa. We've worked several after buying three times, and this guy was the best. I can give you his info if you like.

Sure, what the heck. We're working with a realtor through my husband's job, but if she doesn't work out...

whoo-hoo, Nessa! That's wonderful to have your house sold way early! Although, hearing about your plans to move to UT county are making me rather homesick.

You are invited to visit me whenever the mood strikes you.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2006, 11:24:22 AM »
So my husband's new company has set us up with a realtor, who seems really nice and knowledable. Right now she's setting us up some places to see on Saturday when we go down to Utah County to look at houses.

We got a contract via email yesterday that we're supposed to sign and bring with us on Saturday. It's a typical exclusive realtor contract thingy. Do I have to do this? The flat rate for houses marketed by her company is fine, but the % for helping us with non-company marketed houses is out of control. Is it reasonable for her to expect us to only go through her? We would rather look at for sale by owner houses on our own if she's going to charge 3% of the house cost to represent us.

I could really use some advice.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2006, 11:30:46 AM »
Sometimes you can negotiate the realtor fee, usually when they are trying to get you to buy a more expensive house than what you had planned on getting. This just what I've seen on HGTV during the middle of the night.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2006, 03:44:28 PM »
I'll get you my realtor's info this evening when I get home, and you can call and ask his fee. If it's better then go with him, if they're the same then it's probably pretty standard.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2006, 07:26:28 PM »
Although 3% seems standard, you don't have to take it. 42 is right, you can negotiate the fee and I would do that before you sign any contracts or look at any houses (unless they are for sell by owner). Tell the realitor that 3% won't work for you and see if the realitor will give you a different offer.  Do not sign a contract with a realitor unless you know for sure that you want to go through that realitor to buy a house.

The important thing to remember in any negotiation is to recognize what leverage you have (you can walk away and find another realitor) and having information (what other deals/options are avialable).

A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2006, 12:52:58 AM »
And if you need any advice about bed posts, I'm sure Lost One could help you out.  At least until he levels.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2006, 12:57:54 AM »
Hehe Fish. Great advice, thanks.  ;)

So we negotiated, talked it down, straightened everything out, and I'm happy with how it's going. Saturday is all set. I'm excited to look at houses! We're mostly looking in Springville and Provo, but there's a few houses in Mapleton and Orem.

Wish us luck!