Author Topic: Your Background  (Read 87898 times)

Hayley

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Things are meant to be the way they're gonna be
    • View Profile
Re: Your Background
« Reply #135 on: November 26, 2008, 05:30:22 PM »
Arriving

Being there

Leaving

????
"The rats on the street
They dance around my feet
They seem to say" Hayley "It's up to yooooou!"

Duel! All the cool kids are doing it!

Karl

• Level 5
  • Rolling. Speed. Scene one, take one. ACTION!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 26, 2008, 05:57:41 PM »
Did you know the word 'gullible' is not in the dictionary?
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."

Hayley

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 26, 2008, 05:58:46 PM »
[sarcasm]

It isn't?

[/sarcasm]
"The rats on the street

Karl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 26, 2008, 06:51:33 PM »
"Clean up in aisle three, clean up in isle three! Someone spilled some sarcasm. Get Sortitus to clean up this mess!!"
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."

Hayley

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 26, 2008, 07:43:36 PM »
Yay aisle 3?
"The rats on the street

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #140 on: November 26, 2008, 09:34:21 PM »
So I just went to the kitchen to get something to eat. I opened the microwave, and guess what was in there?....Bacon. Yeah, that's right. Bacon. My mom's cooking it now.....I think it's hilarious.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Hayley

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 26, 2008, 09:54:26 PM »
Haha!!

I was at work earlier, putting bacon into the fridges.

It's actually scary looking stuff.... It's all like... weird...
"The rats on the street

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2008, 12:20:40 AM »
Ach! The treads explode if I disappear for a day!

Anti-sarcasm deployed. Cleanup imminent.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2008, 06:13:05 AM »
Ok, hi.

My name is Jason. I'm 30 years old, and I live in northern California. I'm married, and I have two little boys.  By day I work for a major technology company that makes routers. Chances are you own one of our products.  Your school or work certainly does.   At work I say things like "Here are the quality metrics for that product line."  And "The customer downgraded their Linux kernel to a version unsupported by the file system."  ... Yeah..  I know.  Blah.  Tell me about it.

By night, however, I'm a filmmaker, writer, and webmaster.  I've made a fair number of short films, some of which have won awards, and all of which can be viewed here.  My most recent project is called Spectre. It's an (ahem) epic fantasy short film about a Paladin who finds a cursed sword on a battlefield.  You can learn more about it here.

Although I have never written a novel, this year's NanoWriMo inspired me to get off my butt and try.  30 days and a wimpy 13,000 words later, I was hooked.  I didn't have a lot of time to write, but I love the process, I love my story, and I can't wait to go farther with it. 

In addition to filmmaking and writing, for the last 10 years (eep!) I've been the webmaster of a big ol' giant website called Dragonmount.com.  It's a fan site for the Wheel of Time novels, which probably explains to you how I first heard of Brandon Sanderson, Writing Excuses, and TWG website.  One of the best parts of running a site like DM is that I've had the amazing opportunity not only to meet and become friends with Robert Jordan, but that I got to see a lot of the behind-the-scenes action at Tor Books.  I've had some very open conversations with editors and other writers, including Mr Tor himself, Tom Doherty. (Tom is, hands down, the Nicest Man In The World).  I actually met Brandon in person recently. We had a few hours together, so we played MAGIC: THE GATHERING.  Bad idea.  Never play Magic with Brandon.  He wins every time. At least when he plays me. :(

What I hope to get out of Reading Excuses is pretty simple:  I look forward to reading your stuff and giving you some insightful input. I'm no stranger to collaborative writing (mostly from my screenplays).  I've been around the block enough now where I'm confident in my ability to provide useful feedback. In turn, I can't wait for you to read over my stuff and tell me how bad it is, and how I should stick to making short movies and big websites.

Oh, and, I'm definitely looking forward to getting to know all of you.  Y'all have a nice cozy little community going here and it looks like a lot of fun.

See ya around
J

These are not my stories. I just write them.

Karl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 04, 2008, 06:26:28 AM »
Dude! We so need to talk! So glad I'm not the only film maker in this bunch.

And lay off the Spectre title! I just submitted my script Spectre's End to this group on Monday!

Jeez, not even a title is sacred...

Look forward to seeing your work and reading your critiques.

Welcoome!

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 04, 2008, 06:26:46 AM »
Wow, a big name person joining our small group of nobodies... now I'm almosts scared to submit.  Just kidding.  Welcome to the group!
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #146 on: December 04, 2008, 06:28:35 AM »
Never play cards with Sanderson. Got it.

And Karl, I don't do film, but I do scripts? They're... sort of the same...only ... not...

(Hah! I can't imagine two mediums farther apart. Two narrative mediums, that is.)

Welcome, Jason - pleased to have you on board. :)

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
« Reply #147 on: December 04, 2008, 06:40:01 AM »
Karl... Yeah, I hear you're the other filmmaker around here. Very cool.  I also hear that, unlike most of the kids here, you remember the 80's.  Granted, I'm a decade behind you still, but I tellya friend... This side of 30 is already seeing less and less hair on my head.

@ M... A fellow dad with two kids!  Right on, brother.  I applaud you and your wife for fighting the good fight.  Thanks for sharing such a personal bit of info.  Looking forward to seeing how those experiences reflect in your work.

@ WEKM... thanks for pushing this writing group idea. Good stuff.

@ firstChristmaSnow...  LOL.  I'm hardly a 'big name'.  But speaking of big names, yours is the largest one here I think, and also the coolest.  I just stare at it wondering if you mis-spelled "Christmas Snow" or if this is just your First Christmas Now.  I'll probably be up all night thinking about it.  Scary.

Oh, and based on how quickly you guys reply to this thread, I bet I'll NEVER have time to write. I'll just be trying to keep up with your posts and wedding plans and stuff.

I'm going to go log off now and try to watch some LEGEND OF THE SEEKER.  I could use a good laugh and cry.

J
These are not my stories. I just write them.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2008, 06:42:24 AM »
It's how we weed out those who are not dedicated.

Those who can keep up with us, AND write, those are the worthy!

Or... something.

Laugh and cry?

Yeah. Yeah, I've heard that about Legend of Seeker.

>>;

<<;

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #149 on: December 04, 2008, 06:47:01 AM »
So have I....Not outside of this board, though. I liked The Sword of Truth, so I'm thinking I should go find it to watch online somewhere....But I'm afraid to 'cause I've heard it's VERY different from the books....And that's sad.

And we do keep a VERY fast-pace around here. 'Tis fun!...Speaking of which, I wonder if 'the wedding plans'  he was referring to happen to be "The Wedding" thread that we need to pick back up...somehow. Because that was one FUNNY thread.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."