Author Topic: The Decline of Reading  (Read 4933 times)

readerMom

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
Re: The Decline of Reading
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 09:14:36 PM »
Twilight was interesting to me because it made a lot of people who swear they have no time to read (mothers, especially stay at home moms) find the time.  My hope would be since they started they would continue.  I have a very small peer group-Stay at home moms who read- and I always hope to enlarge it.
 I personally couldn't stand Twilight, I did try and made it half-way before giving up in disgust, but anything that gets people reading is good.  I will even say that about Captain Underpants.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 10:42:04 PM »
I think once the price of e-book readers goes down, then reading will go up.  I know I would have a lot more time to read if I had one.  Most of the time carrying a book around is just not convenient, where something smaller could help.

Although I think it will mainly increase the amount that is read by current readers, I don't that it will inspire too many new people to start reading. -sigh- They just don't know what they're missing.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 04:54:58 PM »
I don't think so.  In my experience there has always been a stigma against reading books.
I think also there's a sense of distaste and displeasure attached to books and reading (like…associated imagery, except with emotion? something like that) because they are so often associated with school (which, needless to say, is the object of many a young child's anger and frustration).
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The Decline of Reading
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 12:37:16 AM »
I don't think so.  In my experience there has always been a stigma against reading books.
I think also there's a sense of distaste and displeasure attached to books and reading (like…associated imagery, except with emotion? something like that) because they are so often associated with school (which, needless to say, is the object of many a young child's anger and frustration).

Actually, that's something I've never understood about the human race. If you're a kid and seen reading by your peers, they will actively taunt and persecute you for it. Also, the same will happen if you show passion or enthusiasm for anything that isn't sports. The teacher is the enemy, so you can't be seen fraternizing with them, either. I'm SO glad my public school experience is far behind me.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The Decline of Reading
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 03:41:26 AM »

Actually, that's something I've never understood about the human race. If you're a kid and seen reading by your peers, they will actively taunt and persecute you for it. Also, the same will happen if you show passion or enthusiasm for anything that isn't sports. The teacher is the enemy, so you can't be seen fraternizing with them, either. I'm SO glad my public school experience is far behind me.

I'm glad I didn't go to your public school... :(  I go to a private school, so the cases aren't exactly the same, but I talk with my friends about good books. I have a friend who works at the library and we rib him about it a bit, but its all in good fun :D  And we have good conversations with teachers. Although, that may just be because the teachers at my school are kinda cool... the guy who does third grade also used to coach soccer and has a black belt in some Western martial arts blend :o 
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 01:50:42 PM »
I think it has a lot to due with the generation (and the time)…it will (hopefully) pass on in a decade or two (although a day or two would be better). It's very sad, though.

has a black belt in some Western martial arts blend
*runs away and hides under sink*

I go to a private school, too; a very good one, actually, that is often thought of as not having kids who do the whole 'I'm too cool for school' routine. But even so, (in my grade at least,) there's a ton of that crap and it bugs me sometimes. I mean, there are a lot of people who aren't–but, still. And there are a bunch who are just so not academically motivated it drives me insane; they're the ones who do the big goofball act where the kid acts stupid, says some great line, like 'wait, 'feet' has three 'E's, right? OK, thanks,' and then makes whatever trouble he gets into into a joke to get laughs. …  *grumbles*

Lol, sorry I was kinda venting back there. But yeah, it's sad that books are no longer a part of so many kids' lives…and adults, too.  ;)
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.