Author Topic: No Televison  (Read 3130 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
No Televison
« on: September 11, 2004, 09:37:20 PM »
So I realized that today marks my second week of being television-free.  Not by force of willpower, mind you, but the cable came free with our last apartment and when we moved into this house we decided we didn't need to pay $30+ a month for tv.  And we don't have any sort of antenna so we are literally TV-free.

We haven't even watched a movie in the past two weeks.  I only thought of it now because I just put in Pirates of the Carribean and realized I haven't turned the TV on in a while.

It's just kind of weird, because I've never EVER been a big proponant of the "Turn off the TV" movements or anything.  TV is TV.  It's usually just there.  Yes, it wastes a lot of time, but I don't think ANYONE should try and tell another person how they should and should not waste his time.  Most TV-free proponants work by guilt, and that irks me.

Except now it's not there and it's my choice (even if it's a financially-related and not a morally-related one).   I still feel the weirdness of not being able to sit on the couch and watch TV for several hours straight.  I feel that it's not necessarily a good thing, and wonder how long it will take myself to get that habit to go away.  We'll be here for at least a year - I'm sure that's long enough.  And my husband never really watched TV so I don't think he misses it much at all.

This post doesn't have much of a point, I just thought it kind of intersting and relavent for a time-wasting board.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: No Televison
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 09:55:45 PM »
just don't download stargate episodes in your tv-less state. they reported me to the cable company and shut off my cable modem for a day -_-
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 10:14:21 PM »
I've been TV-less because of financial reasons before, and it's always a good thing, for me. Even having fewer stations as we now do is a good thing. Especially during the school year, but whenever, it helps me concentrate on more important/interesting things that I'd be distracted from otherwise.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 10:14:36 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 10:41:38 PM »
Yeah, I was TV-less for over a year. It was great. I got stuff done.

Then I was offered an incredible DirecTV deal. *shakes fist*

The habit returns once your crack is available again.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 10:50:21 PM »
just don't download stargate episodes in your tv-less state. they reported me to the cable company and shut off my cable modem for a day -_-

What program were you using to download them?  And can they do that?  Downloading TV shows is legal, I thought, just not movies.

And Saint, yes I have no doubt that this is only a temporary thing.  Ah well.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Master Xaio

• Level 13
  • All power corrupts, absolute power's even more fun
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 02:06:04 AM »
See, I've just *never* watched TV.  I watched PlaySchool, and Sesame Street when I was younger, but apart from the occasional documentary, or interview, I just don't watch TV.  If I'm going to waste time, I prefer to read a book, or game, or draw, write, anything.  TV for me just kinda... sucks.
"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams"
William Yeats, 'He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven'.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 02:20:40 AM »
As a kid, I watched a lot of TV. But I kind of quit watching a lot of TV after my mission. Now, I'm not really sur if what I do with a TV could be called watching TV. Passively observing TV might be a better term for it. I kind of just like to have the TV on. It's mostly just to keep me company. Though I still tend to be a major channel surfer, Why watch one program when you can watch five or six at the same time.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2004, 02:25:18 AM »
     Yeah, the only thing is that the people you are watching with, they dont like it so much. Whenever I do that and someone is watching with me they yell at me to stop.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 04:02:17 AM »
bittorrent. actually, downloading movies, tv shows, and mp3s MAY be legal. UPLOADING of all 3 is definitely not legal. but everyone who downloads via bittorrent also uploads. it's how the program works.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2004, 08:16:16 AM »
I havn't really watched TV this year, just a bunch of anime. I waste equal amounts of time on the net though...
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2004, 05:04:53 PM »
I just got satelite about a week ago, before hand I got two channels, on a good day.  I never watched TV, and can't really get into watching a whole lot.  Occasionally I'll sit down and see a whole chunk of good shows and I'll watch them, but usually, no.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2004, 11:10:37 PM »
I watch SG-! and atlantis every friday
oh and I always watch adult swim... I'm probly gonna end up as one of the 80 year old guys who still watches cartoons...

*SE check your PM's it's kinda important"
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 07:27:13 AM »
I don't do PMs. I've told you that many many times.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 12:26:47 PM »
How can he have PMS?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2004, 12:42:55 PM »
one can only assume it's surgery of unspeakable unholiness being performed.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 12:46:40 PM by SaintEhlers »