Author Topic: Giving away books!  (Read 4453 times)

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
Giving away books!
« on: July 14, 2005, 04:34:11 PM »
What do you all think of this?

Basically the author makes this books available for free download online at the same time as the printing of his books.

I would have like to have done this with my book, but very rarely can you find a publisher willing to do this.  

I particularly like this quote.

"This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright #154085, for a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin it without our permission, will be mighty good friends of ours, cause we don't give a dern. Publish it. Write it. Sing it. Swing to it. Yodel it. We wrote it, that's all we wanted to do."
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 04:35:36 PM by Firemeboy »
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

bosssmiley

• Level 2
  • Concealed in custard
    • View Profile
Re: Giving away books!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 09:59:11 AM »
What a great idea for building a readership.
People who read his books online and like them are almost bound to want a handy paper copy they can read anywhere.
The truth is too important to waste on every fool who asks

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 10:26:03 AM »
Eh, just makes me think the guy is such an amateur that he's desperate just to get people to read his book, he must be vanity published since no level headed publisher would allow him to do something like this.  Pretty much a huge warning sign saying "this book is a stinker".
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 10:34:54 AM »
I disagree. You don't earn a whole lot of money on your early books anyway. Might as well build press and awareness.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 10:47:36 AM »
This is his third book and all three have been free, I'd say the building awareness period is long past.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 11:09:13 AM »
maybe he's just interested in having it out there. Interesting how because it's free we assume it's not good.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 11:14:14 AM »
He's not necessarily bad - Bruce Sterling managed to convince his publisher to release The Hacker Crackdown for free.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 12:42:57 PM »
I can see this sysyem working best if the author has the book released both in paper form and free electronic form. For small press and vanity press authors, this is a good marketing stradegy.

It probably won't work for every author. If the author just isn't that good, well then it won't work no matter how much free stuff they have out there. But if the author is good then I can see them developing a fan base and having greater monetary success with later sequels.

The other option is to go the traditional route, which takes much longer.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 09:38:24 PM »
Though from reading this guys site some more it seams like he plans on doing this with every book.  Which begs to ask why would anyone publish this with that deal let alone TOR?  Who, according to amazon, is the publisher.  Make me embarrassed to have my brother at the same publishing house.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 09:45:48 PM »
I can think of a lot of reasons you should be embarrassed by your brother, but being published by TOR isn't really one of them.

The truth is that publishing houses don't really market books. Books are primarily marketed by the authors. So if one guy wants to market his books by giving them away for free first, then he's welcome to try. If he succeeds, good for him, if he fails, we will mock him mercilessly. Time will tell.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 10:27:05 PM »
TOKYOPOP is now marketing original manga by giving it away for free online, one chapter at a time.

http://www.TOKYOPOP.com/takuhaionline
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 01:22:07 AM »
I can think of a lot of reasons you should be embarrassed by your brother, but being published by TOR isn't really one of them.

Oh no you didn't!

Careful, 42, or you shall experience an angry girlfriend slapdown.  ;)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 01:24:33 AM »
Ahh, now I know what 42 was talking about. ;D

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 01:55:22 AM »
Touche.  :)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 06:54:09 AM »
Eh, just makes me think the guy is such an amateur that he's desperate just to get people to read his book, he must be vanity published since no level headed publisher would allow him to do something like this.  Pretty much a huge warning sign saying "this book is a stinker".

Actually, DOWN AND OUT was one of the most well-reviewed, best-selling sf/f novels by a new author of its year.  People are STILL talking about it at the cons and on the blogs.  

Research has shown that a web presence of a novel doesn't really impact paper sales.  People like to hold books, and libraries make most books very accessible to people who don't want to spend money on them.  The end result is that you can publish books or stories for free on the internet and the publicity can outweigh any lost sales.

Scott Card has been publishing all of his short stories (which he also publishes in anthologies in paper form) for free on the web for some time.  And, Baen (one of the biggest sf/f publishers) maintains a free library of downloadable books.  

So, Sprig, the truth is that this is neither a crap book, a poorly selling book, nor a self-published book.  You can make fun of him if you wish, but his marketing campaign made him one of the TO READ writers of 2003.  DOWN AND OUT still maintains a sales rank on Amazon better than ELANTRIS.  (The new book isn't doing quite as well, I hear--though it did get a starred review in PW.)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch