Author Topic: I feel like a massive tool because...  (Read 6717 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
I feel like a massive tool because...
« on: September 20, 2007, 02:03:20 PM »
I get confused, frustrated, and maybe a little angry when people go on and on about how great Robert Jordan was.

Look, I'm not happy he died. I know a lot of people are at best, disappointed, and quite a few of them genuinely grieving. Though he's probably free from pain now, and we should be glad about that.

It's that I had to *force* myself to read Eye of the World. It was derivitive, had poor prose, and made massive allusions to fantasy, literary, and religious symbolism for the sake of looking smart without actually using any of the tradition or meaning behind those symbols.  The characters are utter morons with poor motivations at best.

And no, I don't even like the cover art -- the poses look false.

So, yeah, that makes me a feel look the pope of the jerks. King Jerk. Jerkarino. Because so many people feel compelled to praise his work, especially since with his death I should be more sensitive, and I'm just tired of hearing about it.

Feel free to hate me now.

Ok, so, this is like a "grumpy bear" thread with a specific focus. My opinion, whether you agree or disagree, is not up for discussion in this thread, and I will separate those posts to another thread to keep it on topic. Feel free to tell me I *am* a tool though.

In this thread you should confess what you do, consciously or otherwise, that makes you feel like a maladjusted social misanthrope. Let Mortal Kombat Begin.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Re: I feel like a massive tool because...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 03:28:47 PM »
What does it mean, that you're a tool?  I've never heard that phrase before.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 03:51:42 PM »
actually, now that I'm thinking, I should probably change the phrasing. It means, roughly "i'm an insensitive jerkwad"

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 02:42:30 AM »
Generally speaking, Sigyn, a tool is someone who doesn't think for themselves, or is easily influenced by outside people and opinions, i.e. you are used by those around you. So yeah, I am going to agree with SE, I don't think it's what he was going for.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 05:31:14 AM »
Check out the current definition #20 on urban dictionary.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 04:30:05 PM »
I alwayse took Tool to mean "Jerk", at least that's what it ment when I was younger.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 06:04:51 PM »
Check out the current definition #20 on urban dictionary.

The one with the word "phallis"?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 01:13:38 AM by Pink Bunkadoo »
~금강산도 식후경~

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 06:58:56 PM »
Yes... It is the urban dictionary, after all...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 11:27:49 PM »
So, at this point I'm wondering if my comment from yesterday got deleted for some reason, or if I was just hallucinating that I posted on this discussion.  Anyone else remember seeing something by me?  I could swear...  Even had a cool MK scorpion chain at the bottom...
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 11:30:43 PM »
Okay, I found my post, and now the whole Mortal Kombat reference (in the new thread) makes me look like some random doofus.  Ah well.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 11:48:44 PM »
I guess they wanted to separate out the terminology discussion, but it was rather jarring.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 02:50:12 PM »
Ok, so, this is like a "grumpy bear" thread with a specific focus. My opinion, whether you agree or disagree, is not up for discussion in this thread, and I will separate those posts to another thread to keep it on topic. Feel free to tell me I *am* a tool though.

In this thread you should confess what you do, consciously or otherwise, that makes you feel like a maladjusted social misanthrope. Let Mortal Kombat Begin.

I said it right there. This is a collection of things we do that we feel bad about. RJ discussion goes elsewhere.

Ratlord12

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 05:25:41 PM »

I feel like a tool because I had to put some animals down under some unspecified circumstances. What makes me feel even more like a tool is the fact that I feel like a tool in the first place.

Explanation: My greatest desire is to reverse time and prevent the Big Bang, effectively unmaking the universe. This desire stems from the fact that I think life is evil, because without life, there would be no sorrow. We'd all be better off nonexistant, right? No more suffering.
Anyhoo, I feel like I am becoming capable of guilt, and this makes me feel like a tool. If I would end all life without a thought, why do I feel so chest-heavy for killing a few vermin for a just cause?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 05:30:21 PM by Ratlord12 »

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 04:51:29 AM »
I don't know if this counts but.... I feel bad because I ask to much of my husband with not much return (see now I'm already feeling defensive and want to explain myself, but this is a tell-all thread so I'll bare my soul to you complete strangers)

Example being that I asked for a specific quilting frame for christmas, so a week ago the UPS guy shows up with this HUGE heavy box. A quilting frame, but a bigger and better one than what I wanted. Now what's up with that! I know he's just trying to show his unending love for me but it really gets on my nerves and then I say something and feel totally bad afterwards.

I mean I understand why he did it, but I have to criticize, I can't just say, 'wow, thanks honey.'

I also expect him to do the dishes when he gets home but I don't fold the clothes and I avoid doing the dishes during the day. This makes me feel lazy to admit. I wonder how I'd express these feelings to him... or should I?

I've decided I'm just an ornery person and I can't imagine how my children are going to survive to adulthood without some sort of therapeutic needs.

Wow... I think I might have opened a pandora's box here....

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 09:20:09 PM »
Did I just kill the thread? Sorry.