Author Topic: The Origins of Allomancy *Spoilers*  (Read 9015 times)

Vintage

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Origins of Allomancy *Spoilers*
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 05:34:16 PM »
When Vin didn't know she was a Mistborn, when she was still getting beaten by her brother or Camon, she was already burning pewter. I read... where ?... that there was traces of metal in the water that was ingested and it had to be her unknown source. However, in the case of Elend, he certainly needed more than traces, I'd say.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 08:27:57 PM »
Yes, that's ture, but you're right he would have had traces, but I agree with you, Elend's wound was serious, he needed the vial.  Vin barely had enought pewter to sustain a punch to the face, Elend was slashed open.

Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but I wonder where the next book will start.  Will it be another year in the future, or right after Elend becomes mistborn.  I wonder...  I bet it begins with a training session though.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 04:38:41 AM »
Yes, that's ture, but you're right he would have had traces, but I agree with you, Elend's wound was serious, he needed the vial.  Vin barely had enought pewter to sustain a punch to the face, Elend was slashed open.

Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but I wonder where the next book will start.  Will it be another year in the future, or right after Elend becomes mistborn.  I wonder...  I bet it begins with a training session though.

It's possible, but I doubt it would be as in-depth as the ones in MB1. The stuff tends to be quite repetitive after a while, and we want him to focus on all these thousands of questions in the novel, not endless rehashed, no?

(Not that a little bit of rehash is bad, just as long it isn't overboard)
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 07:27:09 PM »
I can just picture it, Vin and Elend Sparring in the mists, when screams echo out, and they rush off to find the mist's latest victim.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 08:32:19 PM »
Blah! :)  The interrupted training session is so book 1!  The book never mentions that Vin actually burns pewter before she is discovered by Kelsier, but it must have been true.  Remember though that pewter burns very fast, so the trace elements would have been used up really quickly; I doubt there would be enough to heal a pimple.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 09:00:24 PM »
It does actually, when kelsier is teaching her allomancy, when she burns pewter, she says she's used this metal before.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 09:41:06 PM »
Good catch.  It still wasn't much help at the time though, I imagine.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 11:30:57 PM »
You are right again, when Camon is beatin Vin before Keslier intervenes, her "inner strength," fails her very quickly.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Vambram

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My Multiply page
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 04:52:07 AM »
I don't know if this has been covered before or not. However, how exactly does the body and the chemicals within the body "burn metals" so that an Allomancer or MistBorn may use Allomancy?
Death is as Light as a Feather;
but Duty is as Heavy as a Mountain

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 07:50:04 AM »
I touched upon it right here.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 09:01:49 PM »
Are you going to ask for that post to be published next, Chaos?  ::)  That is a good question.  I don't believe the explanations have gone to that level of detail.  All we know is that you are either born with the ability, or you can gain it by swallowing the magic well bead.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 10:45:44 PM »
I don't know if this has been covered before or not. However, how exactly does the body and the chemicals within the body "burn metals" so that an Allomancer or MistBorn may use Allomancy?
Magic.

No, seriously. This is a fantasy book, after all!

Though I'm not exactly saying that Chaos2651 is wrong in the thread he links. I'm not sure if that was the question you were asking, though.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 10:48:16 PM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2008, 11:47:14 PM »
Obviously, they are magical mists. Or something like that...

Vambram

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My Multiply page
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2008, 11:55:53 PM »
I touched upon it right here.

That OP of yours was interesting, but after reading through that thread, I got more questions than answers. I really do enjoy the Mistborn series, and I am almost finished with WoA, with just about 80 pages left to read. Also, I enjoy the rules and systems of magic that Brandon Sanderson has here in the books. Like Ookla the Mok said, we are dealing with Magic here, and I suppose we could just let that be the final fundamental answer to my question. However, given the detail with which Brandon Sanderson has supplied to his three systems of magic in Mistborn, I am really hoping that this very, very basic, and fundamental question concering just really How does an Allomancer or Mistborn burn metals? will be eventually answered either in Book 3, or perhaps in one of the books' annotations.
Thanks. :)
Death is as Light as a Feather;
but Duty is as Heavy as a Mountain

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2008, 12:22:34 AM »
I always find that my "final solutions" (no Himmler references, please) aren't very final at all. I just make them sound like they are very final.

In all reality, I don't really know what I'm talking about. I could be right, I could be wrong, and I could be totally seeing too far into this.