Author Topic: article: Adventures in Eberron  (Read 1624 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
article: Adventures in Eberron
« on: October 13, 2004, 09:59:56 AM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=880

Mr. P keeps it up. We've got a breakdown on usable adventures set in Eberron for you.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: article: Adventures in Eberron
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 03:36:27 PM »
I've been very impressed with Eberron as a whole, so I'm glad to see so much support for it. Now if only I had an RPG group...
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 04:23:14 AM »
It's a good setting.  And as you can tell from my article, the support is hit and miss.  

Very hit and miss.

inevitable

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 12:31:53 AM »
You were pretty critical of Whispers. What happened when you played it? Where did things go wrong?

Conan McKegg

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 07:03:34 PM »
I have to disagree about Whispers - it is far superior to Shadows.

I tried running shadows, but found it a) Railroaded and b) full of inconsistencies. It totally ignores a lot of the key elements that cropped up in Forgotten Forge (The Journal, The Map of the Mournlands, Elaydren's real surname) - it provided poor conflicts and never considered the outcomes if the PCs managed to wipe out the NPCs early (and frankly, the Rose Quarry encounter ought to end with the PCs triumphant, Keith Baker forgot about the rather dramatic effect of Action Points over Challenges.) Not to mention some plain appalling set pieces - one sequence describes characters looking at the reflection of the moons in the water and it is only after a DC 15 check that they realise that there is a fog. Poorly written, badly designed and plain dull.

Whispers, on the other hand, has none of the inconsistency - namely by being its own story - and gives the DM freedom to run the game as he or she sees fit. It is open ended and has some wonderfully dramatic sequences - A chase through a grand ballroom, battle on an airship, fight on the roof of a lightning rail...

All in all, I found it to be the best of the published adventures to date.

Conan

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 07:34:02 PM »
I wasn't as disgusted with Shadows as Conan here, but I did find it to be pretty dull. I expected more travel and a bigger difference between locations...maybe I just thought Rose Quarry was a boring place to visit. The underground complex, however, while basically just a dungeon crawl, was still pretty clever. I haven't read Whispers, but the airship fight sounds cool.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net