Author Topic: Amidst Sumter  (Read 2458 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Amidst Sumter
« on: May 18, 2005, 12:12:28 PM »
TWG's first downloadable adventure supplement! Get it here: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1066

I should also point out that, with a name like "Amidst Sumter," you get the added value of two non-standard consonant clusters, absolutely free! It's a deal you can't afford to miss!

In all seriousness, though, 42 did a bang-up job with this adventure, and we hope it will be the first of many. Play and have fun!
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Amidst Sumter
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 01:19:11 PM »
This thing really sounds interesting but I found myself wanting to peruse it without having to download and then open it.  I wanted to peruse it right on the web and download it if I wanted to use it.  Possible?  Not?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 01:34:38 PM »
the thing is, with a PDF, if you open it on the web, you've already downloaded the whole contents anyway
You might as well save it to your desktop where you don't have to deal with the IE plugin anyway

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 02:00:34 PM »
Yes, bang-up job.  Excellent, 42!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 04:02:06 PM »
We should have put some knights into the story, and called it, "Amidst Sumter, Knights Dream."
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 04:07:28 PM »
Skar when you read something on the net you've ALREADY downloaded it to your pc. It just isn't actually saved usually (well, except to your internet cache which loads up the same page as closely as possible to cut down on download needs). :P
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 04:59:39 PM »
Thank you Entropy, you truly have a firm grasp on the obvious and I benefit immeasurably from your ability to point it out. ;)

However, what I meant was that I wanted to peruse it in my internet browser and only have to decide where to store the file on my machine (other than the internet cache(probably someplace more intuituvely accessible)) if I decided I liked it well enough.

Better?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 07:41:09 PM »
I tried submitting this news to ENWorld via their "submit a scoop" link but when I submitted it I got a blank white page so hopefuly it went in.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 01:32:30 AM »
Bravo!

Excellently done!

I'll submit a scoop also, just in case yours didn't go through, sprig.

You should hit the official M&M message boards too.  

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2005, 03:07:48 AM »
thanks Mr. P I was hopeing you'd know weither or not mine went through.

I think we'll hit several other forums as well but GR is supposedly going to link to this adventure from their M&M site since 42 got them to approve it.

Also I've added the following sort link to the nerdery list sticky
http://www.timewastersguide.com/RPG/sortarticles.php?sortby=score&filter=twgventure
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 03:18:41 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 08:40:05 AM »
hah, just realized my name appears somewhere in this adventure.  Before I never bothered reading the sidebars until now.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 11:30:45 AM »
Why not just have a few sample pages available to read before the person downloads it?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2005, 11:54:37 AM »
Because it is more work. I guess that not a bad idea, it would work better if we just presented a random sampling.

But here's the thing. This one is only 18 pages, EP's is shaping up to be only 9 pages. It's not like anyone is downloading a whole book. These are pamphlets really. So if we put out just 3 sample pages (most places I go to usually offer 6 to 8 pages) of EP's adventure, that's a 3rd of the adventure.

I think we do need to mention how many pages these adventures are in the intro. Just so people realize that they aren't getting a full-blown adventure book and they can estimate how much effort it will take to download.

As for having it accessible from a browser, well that is up to Spriggan and Fell. I don't really care, but I'm sure there are file size issues. Usually, all you get is an intro, then you have to pay $20, and then you get to download it. So letting someone peruse the adventure in their browser would be very nice of us.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2005, 03:54:05 PM »
It lets me peruse it just fine in a browser. And honestly, on most connections 660kb is a heartbeat to download--just grab it, look through it, and if you don't like it, well, that's what your recycle bin is for.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2005, 06:09:08 PM »
it's also on MY bandwith not TWGs, so until that takes place there will be a ziped versions only.