Author Topic: New Endangered Species  (Read 1663 times)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
New Endangered Species
« on: January 25, 2006, 07:59:29 PM »
From Britian's Times Online.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0%2C%2C2-1881612%2C00.html

VILLAGERS who protested that a new housing estate would "harm the fairies" living in their midst have forced a property company to scrap its building plans and start again.

Marcus Salter, head of Genesis Properties, estimates that the small colony of fairies believed to live beneath a rock in St Fillans, Perthshire, has cost him £15,000. His first notice of the residential sensibilities of the netherworld came as his diggers moved on to a site on the outskirts of the village, which crowns the easterly shore of Loch Earn.  

He said: "A neighbour came over shouting, 'Don't move that rock. You'll kill the fairies'." The rock protruded from the centre of a gently shelving field, edged by the steep slopes of Dundurn mountain, where in the sixth century the Celtic missionary St Fillan set up camp and attempted to convert the Picts from the pagan darkness of superstition.

"Then we got a series of phone calls, saying we were disturbing the fairies. I thought they were joking. It didn't go down very well," Mr Salter said.

In fact, even as his firm attempted to work around the rock, they received complaints that the fairies would be "upset". Mr Salter still believed he was dealing with a vocal minority, but the gears of Perthshire's planning process were about to be clogged by something that looked suspiciously like fairy dust.

"I went to a meeting of the community council and the concerns cropped up there," he said. The council was considering lodging a complaint with the planning authority, likely to be the kiss of death for a housing development in a national park. Jeannie Fox, council chairman, said: "I do believe in fairies but I can't be sure that they live under that rock. I had been told that the rock had historic importance, that kings were crowned upon it." Her main objection to moving the rock was based on the fact that it had stood on the hillside for so long: a sort of MacFeng Shui that many in the village subscribe to.

"There are a lot of superstitions going about up here and people do believe that things like standing stones and large rocks should never be moved," she said.

I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: New Endangered Species
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 08:24:55 PM »
Well, at least they had as many supporting facts as most environmentalists.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 12:02:34 AM »
That's awesome. Power to the people of Perthshire.  ;D

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 12:45:14 AM »
But dude, faeries are BAD NEWS. Especially ones with thistledown hair.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 01:24:41 AM »
"Ow! It bit me!"
"Well what'd you expect fairies to do?"
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 11:55:16 AM »
I am also of the opinion that standing stones should never be moved, and now I have an awesome name for that philosophy: MacFeng Shui.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 03:35:13 PM »
Well, they should petition to have the fairies placed on the endangered species list, however, do they know what species of fairies they are dealing with? I'm not sure how popular it would be to protect thistledown hair fairies, but it's their call.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.