Author Topic: MISTBORN Magic Question  (Read 5887 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
MISTBORN Magic Question
« on: April 04, 2005, 07:07:58 PM »
This is for both those of you who've read MISTBORN and those who haven't.  

In the first book, you'll notice that I named two of the three magic systems present in the world.  The primary name, which I'm quite satisfied with, is Allomancy.  

Sazed's power is the one I'm considering changing.  It is called Hemalurgy.  Now, I like the way this sounds.  However, it doesn't quite fit in meaning with Sazed's powers.  (The Hema, which should evoke thoughts of 'blood' has rightly drawn complaints from readers.)

However, Hemalurgy DOES fit quite well with the third (mostly unmentioned magic system) used by the Steel Inquisitors.

So, I'd like to rename Sazed's magic system.  Here are my thoughts.

Ferrachemy.  I like the sound and construction of this one--it fits with the other two, and seems to relate well to Sazed's powers.  The only problem is that I think it's too easy to read as "Ferr-Alchemy," which just doesn't feel right to me.

Ferruchemy.  The word I'm drawing the 'Ferr' from anyway is Latin for iron, which is Ferrum.  So, this is truer to my source, but it just doesn't sound as good to me.

Ferrichemy.  I'm not sure if I like the way this one looks or not.  

Ferrochemy.  Perhaps where I'm leaning right now.  

Anyone else have any suggestions?  I like the traditional-science feel endings of things like 'mancy, 'lurgy, 'chemy.  I also like beginnings that relate somehow to metals, as those are used so prevalently in the magic.

http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
Re: MISTBORN Magic Question
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 07:40:33 PM »
Aurachemy or Auronomy from Latin aurum, meaning gold
Argentonomy from Argentum for silver
Also, just Ferra or Ferramy
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 08:40:21 PM »
Perhaps this is because it's been a while since I've read Mistborn, but I don't remember thinking Hemalurgy was all that out of place for Sazed. It did evoke blood imagery to me, which seemed right because of where the power was drawn from, yes? But either way, if you switch that over to the Steel Inquisitors, that seems good, too. It always just seemed a more generic name, a broader definition of the power.

Anyway, on the ferr- thing. I don't like the -chemy. I would go with a -mancy or -lurgy. Ferromancy? Perhaps not. -lurgy doesn't seem to fit, either, does it. At any rate, the only one of the -chemy endings that looks at all comfortable is the one you're leaning toward. Have you already played with similar combinations using -mancy and rejected them?

Hmm, here's something interesting. How about different forms of those endings? If you go to the dictionary and look up -mancy, for example, you get older variations such as -mantia, -manteia, from the French mantis, diviner. Ferromantia? Seems a bit affected, but perhaps if you played with different forms of those endings, you might find something you liked.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 10:31:45 PM »
ferromantia sounds like an affliction.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Smith, but it appears your cerebellum is affected by ferromantia. We'll have to operate"

Ferro- as a prefix at all reminds me too much of Ferro Boy. Probably, however, this is not a wide spread problem.

The greek for "iron" is "sidenos" (all short vowels) and for "steel" is "chalubas" (again, all short vowels) of course, greek nouns decline so there's latitude in ending those, those are just the subjective singular versions.  Chaluchemy sounds better to me, but like Stacer, I wouldn't shy from reusing "lurgy" or "mancy" as the ending again. chalurgy actually suits me.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 11:05:54 PM »
Chalurgy sounds mexican.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 02:36:15 AM »
All that Ferr buisness reminds me of ferrets, which sounds more goofy than magicky.  Just a thought.  

Come to think of it, Ferricamy sounds like people getting married to ferrets.  
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 02:38:12 AM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 02:41:28 AM »
Auronomancy
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 09:46:25 AM »
That sounds like something to do with hearing.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 09:49:50 AM »
Chalurgy sounds mexican.

y'know, now that you mention it, it does.

"Would you like some Chalurgy on your chalupa?"

Except that Spanish doesn't usually use that soft g sound.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 12:09:20 PM »
Ah! I don't like ferrachemy at all.  It sounds like small furry animals doing thing they shouldn't.

May I suggest: Sangrimancy.

I don't personally see the connection with blood for Sazed's power but if you say there is one, then there is one.  Sangri- is a prefix that has to do with blood in spanish.  And I think sangrimancy rolls off the tongue.  And for me at least, it doesn't have any odd associations.

If there is no association with blood but only with exterior metal as opposed to interior/ingested metals may I suggest:

Exochemy or Exomancy

Since all the magics have something to do with metal it seems like "they" might not have bothered to reference metal in the name.  "Allo" implies the alloys that allomancers use in addition to the pure metals.  "Hema" would nicely imply the blood involved in the creation of a steel priest, while "Exo" implies the unique trait that Sazed's magic has of being able to use metal on the outside of the body.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 12:14:17 PM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 12:39:02 PM »
I think exomancy is probably the best suggestion in this thread to date.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 03:15:47 PM »
Hrrrrm. I'll have to think about this.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 03:41:56 PM »
I like both of Skar's suggestions, and his reasoning.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 04:08:31 PM »
Since all the magics have something to do with metal it seems like "they" might not have bothered to reference metal in the name. "Allo" implies the alloys that allomancers use in addition to the pure metals. "Hema" would nicely imply the blood involved in the creation of a steel priest, while "Exo" implies the unique trait that Sazed's magic has of being able to use metal on the outside of the body.

Excellent point.  
I like the -chemy, and do not htink you should use -mancy or -lurgy again.  Other latin roots that could describe what Terrismens' power does:
resto- (to await, be in store for the future) restochemy
recondo- (to put away , put back, store, hide) recondochemy
condo- (to put up, put away safely, store, to hide, withdraw) condochemy
cella- (a storeroom , or a garret, mean apartment) cellachemy
abdo- (to secrete, hide, to put away , withdraw, remove) abdochemy
amolior- (to remove by an effort , set aside, get rid of) amolchemy
repono- (to lay back; to put aside, lay up, deposit, store) reponchemy
sevoco- (to call aside, withdraw, separate) sevochemy
avoco- (to call away , or off, to withdraw, remove, divert) avochemy
detractio- (drawing off , withdrawal, taking away) detrachemy
mando- (to commit , entrust) mandochemy
aspiro- (figurative: to infuse spirit, etc) aspichemy
compleo- (to fill up) complechemy
cumulo- (to heap up , pile up, increase, heighten; to fill up, overload) cumuchemy
gravidus (heavy; laden , filled, full; pregnant) gravichemy
perfundo- (to steep in, fill with) perfuchemy
attineo- (to hold, keep, detain) attinechemy
capio- (to take in, hold, contain, keep in) capiochemy
distineo- (to hold asunder , keep apart, separate) distichemy
sospito- (to keep safe , preserve) sospichemy

My favorites: cellachemy, abdochemy, amolchemy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 04:28:57 PM »
exomancy is still the best. I have no issue with "chemy" except that it isn't really working with any of the prefixes suggested. It sounds consistently awkward.