Author Topic: X-Men -- ***Spoilers***  (Read 14814 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: X-Men -- ***Spoilers***
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2003, 12:28:05 PM »
Collossus, IMHO, should have gotten more scenes in that movie. For what its worth I don't think it helps the clueless ones (like stacer) know why he is Collossus. I highly doubt that anyone is born with that power, and if they are then it must have been a painful birth.

Nightcrawler was very awesome.

I can't wait to see a CGIed Sentinel. That'll be really cool.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2003, 01:23:04 PM »
I think the stuff with the X-kids was fine as it was. Yes, there was very little there, but this movie wasn't about them. It gave fun little foreshadowings for Colossus and Kitty Pryde and some others, but they ARE supposed to be still just kids.

I'm sure that if they're able to keep making movies, all the younger ones will grow into cool characters. I especially hope they do something with Rogue, who has a lot of potential.

Nightcrawler is now one of my favorite characters.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2003, 01:44:09 PM »
Nightcrawler is just now one of your favorite characters? ;)

Actually, I'm sort of glad they didn't show more of the mutant kids. They were juggling far too many characters as is. they do a great job, considering that having more than 3 main characters is usually very confusing and problematic.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2003, 02:24:05 PM »
Yes, the problem with doing a huge brawl at the mansion (which admittedly would have been very cool to watch) would have been that the movie (already over 2 hours long) would have just gotten longer to do the exact same thing and not add any depth. I guess it also would have raised another issue that the movie wasn't really about: why are these kids so emotionally capable of fighting a dangerous battle with adult authority figures carrying heavy weapons. Sure, Wolvie can do it, he's violent already. But kids? I think I'm glad they didn't do it.

And yes Colossus was cool. I think they showed him in contrast to the smaller kids because  we're supposed to be challenging our presuppositions about what is right. Colossus is supposed to be the same age as the kids he schools with, he's just a mutated and huge.

Now, for Dark Phoenix. Yes, anyone who's seen the flick now knows she shows up in Ep. 3. BUT! Didn't the X-Men have to fight her? From what I understand (and even though I love comics, I've never followed the X-men closely, too many titles to buy -- and I've *never* watched the cartoon) she really didn't remember much about her life and her goals and desires were twisted. Anyone read the comics and know about that?
And the X-Men, far as I know, have NEVER had the tide turned against their enemies. They've always been underdogs, which is what has made them so appealing (aside from the cool powers). The closest that I know they've ever come to being ahead was when Prof X gave into temptation and, feeling he had no other option, wiped Magneto's mind. This DEFINITELY didn't put them on top because although Magneto joined their side for a while, it also signalled the rise of Onslaught (which "killed," among others, Capt. America, the Hulk, Iron Man, Punisher, Dr. Doom, the Fantastic Four, the Avengers, etc. etc...). All of which is to say a) please someone who's read the Dark Phoenix Saga (tv cartoon doesn't count) who can enlighten me more about it? and b) I have a nerdly amount of knowledge about Marvel continuity

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2003, 02:37:52 PM »
Just to speculate...

What do you think the chances are of seeing a) Gambit, b) the Sentials, or c) Cable in an upcoming X-Men movie?

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2003, 05:00:23 PM »
Okay, after I saw the end of X2 I ran (well, drove) home and checked my Marvel illustrated history thing. Apparently, Jean Gray first becomes Pheonix, a reborn good superhero, then *later* goes crazy or something and becomes Dark Pheonix. So personally, I don't think X3 will have them fighting Dark Pheonix. Most likely they'll introduce the Sentinels. And my guesses for new characters are Beast (with more than a cameo), Gambit, and possibly Cable. The real question, though, is when will Jubilee get more than 3 second cameos in each film?
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2003, 05:37:11 PM »
Jubilee is an all around worthless character. She couldn't even beat up Robin, much as my brother and I rooted for her. (I refer to DC vs. Marvel vol 2, wherein they fall in love first). I say not to bring her up. They've already got the two teen characters who are getting larger roles.

Cable's the one from the future though, I'd imagine Bishop has a better shot than Cable. I don't see a need to introduce Beast as a mutant either. I mean, he was one of the originals, which is why he's been around so long, but Wolverine does the job of the animal better. I guess Beast is more of a monkey than a beat down guy tho, and he has a vastly different personality, so they could work him in. But I don't think they need him. They've got enough characters. Which I guess applies to Cable and Gambit too, but I like those characters more.

On the other hand, we should start posting this stuff as official rumors, get more traffic, and seriously mess with the minds of comic nerds across the planet.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2003, 09:06:24 PM »
I for one would be more than happy if Gambit NEVER shows up in an X-Men film.  The truth is, though, he might be in number 3 simply because he looks normal and his powers would be very simple to handle through special effects.  Cable I would LOVE to see, alongside his X-Force strike team members like Domino (who has always been a personal favorite of mine), Shatterstar (cool character, lousy design), and Cannonball (as if Rogue wasn't southern fried enough).  The sentinals would be great to see, and from what I am hearing they might indeed be appearing, but it is waaaay too soon to confirm anything like that.

I'd like to see Beast (I forget who brought him up), but it is doubtful.  His selling points are his high IQ, his athletic prowess, and his bizarre appearance.  With Nightcrawler we already have somebody who is athletic and weird looking, and Jean Grey seems to be the resident brain of the group (and yes, we all know that she will be popping up again in the next film).

Some characters I would personally like to see: Juggernaut (and his buddy Archie-naut; sorry, couldn't resist), Apocalypse, Deadpool, Collossus, Shadowcat (in a REAL role), Sabretooth, and Blob.  I think that if they focus on a human-mutant war in the next film, we will see a LOT of Marvel's mutants, but only in brief cameos.  

Some characters I DON'T want to see: Gambit, Maggot, Marrow, Celia Reyes, Black Tom, Pete Wisdom, any of those freaking loser Morlocks (well, maybe except for Caliban and Callisto), the X-Babies, Longshot, Dazzler, Starjammers (ie: X-Men: the Star Wars Rip-off), anybody with an "X" in their code name.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2003, 09:11:13 PM »
I can agree with most of that just on general principle. But I don't get what your beef is with Gambit

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2003, 10:32:34 PM »
I would sor tof like to see gambit.

Jubilee doesn't bother me, I think she makes a good contrast in showing that not all mutants have really powerful abilities.

Course, I read a review by Roger Ebert where he complained that Wolverine was the weakest of the X-Men from what he gathered watching the film. He did have a point that more often than not they make sure the mutants are in positions where their powers are useful rather than showing situations where their powers just suck. For example, Wolverine in most daily activities reaps no benefits from being a mutant and really isn't all that cool, but in a fight he suddenly seems awsome. I just found that to be intersting commentary.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2003, 02:22:21 AM »
Just got back from seeing this and I must say I am thoroughly rocked!  Not only did they do the characters well, but they managed to juggle all the characters pretty well and still keep a fairly tight narrative.  

One of my favorite scenes is when Magneto tells Rogue he loves what he did to her hair.  Nice.  My biggest problem was that I went with a bunch of folks who never read the comics so when I saw Phoenix underneat the waves at the end I couldn't go "OH! OH! PHOENIX!"  because none of them would get it.  They did a great job of foreshadowing it I thought.

You all have the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix story right except you neglect to mention that Phoenix was pretty much all-powerful.  When the power got to her she didn't just mess with the Earth, she started comsuming other planets.  She was one big bad hunk of woman.

The Hulk preview before it changed my outlook on that movie from "eh" to "hmmmmmmmm"   I'm starting to get excited about it now too.

Also, I wouldn't expect to see either Cable or Bishop.  Both are from the future and both carry whole new complex storylines with them.  Plus, Bishop's powers are close enough to Rogue's that there'd be some overlap.  
« Last Edit: May 06, 2003, 02:32:11 AM by Mr_Pleasington »

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2003, 03:28:10 AM »
Wolverine has a wide variety of powers, but unlike, say, Cyclops, most of them don't have a lot of flash (claws nonwithstanding).  He has super senses that would give him all sorts of little advantages in life.  Just think how hard it would be to lie to a guy who can hear your heartbeat.  Logan's most valuable power is actually the one that we never actually get to "see."  It is his longevity.  Very often we don't remember that even though he only looks to be in his early 40's or so (in the comic), he is actually somewhere around 120.

Oh, and did I mention his mutant ability to always get the babes?  You gotta love that one.

My problem with Gambit is simply that he is an annoying character.  He isn't the WORST X-Man of all time (that award would likely go to Maggot), but he is certainly the most overrated.  I don't like how he just hangs out in his civilian identity wearing his superhero costume.  I mean come ON, if you were in a Starbucks and some guy came in wearing pink spandex and a wool coat wouldn't you kinda think there was something not right about him?  I'm just not fond of the character for a million little reasons.  It isn't a hate thing; I just think he's goofy and I don't understand why people like him so much.  But I WILL say that I liked the "Ultimate" version of Gambit and what he did to Hammerhead.  THAT was wicked cool!
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2003, 09:23:14 AM »
The coolest thing about Wolverine is that you  can't     do      ANYTHING     to     him.

Ok, Magneto can hold him back, but even when he ripped all the metal off of Wolvie's bones and out of his body the man recovered.

then the other thing about him that they haven't explored is that when his healing factor is working, especially when it's working HARD like in his big fight during the movie he loses discipline and control, he becomes more and more animalistic. Which is the chief way of getting to him. There was a story about that in his solo comics.

Anyway, if your chief problem is his costume, realize that it's going to be very different in the movie, and that the character you see will be some sort of Jackie Chan who can turn anything he touches into explosive ammunition. Plus, he lives in the world of comic books. NO ONE is exactly normal, even the unpowered civilians.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2003, 02:04:28 PM »
Here's something interesting I came across....

Here is a supposedly complete list of the little details in the film from comics2film.com:

"O.k. kids, I have what I "believe to be a definite list of the X-men easter eggs from X-2 Most of the names come from the computer screen that Mystique is looking at in Yuriko's office.

Lebeau, Remy(Gambit) Gibney, Kyle (aka Wild-Child) Samuel Guthrie, Paige Guthrie (aka Cannonball, Husk) Harada Keniuchio (aka Silver Samurai) Kane Garrison (aka Weapon-X) Lensherr, Eric M. (aka Magneto) Meddicks, Artie (aka Artie) Maddox, Jamie (aka Multiple Man) Mahn, Xi'an Coy (aka Karma) Maximoff, Pietro and Wanda (aka Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch) McTaggart, Kevin (Proteus) Moonstar, Danielle (Moonstar) Munroe, Ororo (Storm)

These are the names of the files that are around the CERBRO file in the window that Mystique looks at. In clockwise order Omega Red, Franklin Richards (YEAH!!!!!!!) and Muir Island. Also on the TV screen in the bar Dr Henry ( Hank) Mccoy (aka Beast) also mentioned in the same sequence "Dr Shaw" (Black King from the Hellfire Club.) I also belive there is some reference to Stark Industries in connection with Magneto's Plastic Prison."

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2003, 02:35:40 PM »
I think that the reference to "Stark" industries is actually Stryker, as he tells Mystique (disguised as our favorite Senator) that he was responsible for the prison.

And now they'll never actually show Franklin Richards, but I think it's great that they nodded at him.