Author Topic: X-Men -- ***Spoilers***  (Read 14813 times)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
X-Men -- ***Spoilers***
« on: May 02, 2003, 06:30:59 PM »
So - when Prof X is zapping all the mutants world wide, how come it doesn't hurt him or, more importantly, Jason?  Does Cerebro shelter them somehow?
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
Re: X-Men -- ***Spoilers***
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 10:54:50 PM »
It doesn't hurt Xavier because HE is the one doing the zapping.  Jason is probably so whacked out on drugs being administered directly through his spinal cord by that... THING implanted on his back that it would take a while for him to feel the pain (long enough to ensure Xavier has killed all the mutants), but I am assuming that Stryker meant for Jason to die as well.  Follwoing that, it would have been a simple matter for Stryker to just come in and put a bullet into Xavier's brain.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2003, 06:43:53 PM »
I just think it's awfully convenient that mutant Jason is the only unaffected mutant - allowing him to continue mind controling.  Then again, I guess if Jason is calling the shots, he could just tell Prof X not to kill him.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2003, 12:06:10 AM »
Just came home from watching X2. Loved it. We were arguing as we left whether Jean was going to come back next time more powerful than ever, or if she was really just dead. Personally, I don't think she's dead. Anyone who's read the comics, want to enlighten me? Okay, so I guess I'm asking for spoilers for a movie that hasn't been made yet, but I really want to know!

Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2003, 01:11:14 AM »
Well, to put it short Jean is reborn as Pheonix (that's why she was glowing every so often in the eyes and all over at the end). I forget what happened and all, but thats what I do remember from watching the cartoon years ago.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2003, 08:55:02 AM »
In the comic it's the result of a journey in space and an encounter with aliens and some other stuff. i think they're trying to keep from adding new elements. but yeah, she's not dead.

I though the "killing" of Jean was the most "convenient" rather than necessary actions in the movie. Why, when the Jet was above the waterline, didn't she allow Nightcrawler to grab her and shoot back? Answer: because they wanted to do a simplified Dark Phoenix saga. My friend disagrees and has lots of reasons why not (the most convincing being that her telekinesis was pushing out in all directions, not just against the flow of water, and that she doesn't have the control still).

Jason, however, is INSIDE Cerebro, so there's another reason for him not to be affected.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2003, 03:46:15 PM »
Hmm... I sort of figured that Jean was telepathically preventing Nightcrawler from getting her.

My question is why couldn't they just have Iceman freeze the lake?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2003, 04:28:12 PM »
maybe his powers can't do that much at once

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2003, 05:36:06 PM »
Nightcrawler does say that she was preventing him from getting her. And everything about the Phoenix makes so much more sense now. Remember the last shot? There was the image of a bird flying over the lake, and I couldn't figure out why. Must be it--the bird was flying while Jean's voice narrated that whole thing about evolution taking a jump forward.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2003, 05:37:46 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2003, 09:33:21 PM »
Ok stacer, I agree and disagree. I'm pretty sure that was Jean swimming in the lake as the Phoenix.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2003, 01:42:36 AM »
Either works for me. I couldn't tell if it was a shadow (from a bird flying above) or the image of something swimming beneath.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2003, 08:51:18 AM »
The kid X-men were lame as usual but you had to love Pyro's line "Im tired of all this Kids table crap."

And NightCrawler was just as cool as I expected YAY.

I think this one was better than the first one.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2003, 09:32:41 AM »
Hmm... I sort of figured that Jean was telepathically preventing Nightcrawler from getting her.

My question is why couldn't they just have Iceman freeze the lake?

A she was. But there's no reason for her to specifically forbid him to do so once the jet is above the waterline except for "plot convenience.

Also, Freezing the entire lake would have taken a lot of energy and concentration and time.

and on another note:
The X-kids were lame? They only showed the powers of three of them, and the one with the weakest power was the coolest personality (and the only one they really showed any personality for). IMO, Collossus was incredibly cool for how little they showed him. I didn't think there was anything lame about that. I just have to reiterate that the only real complaint I have is how convenient it was that Jean "died." And maybe how Stryker found someone with identical powers to Wolverine. But then, that scene was really cool, so I went with it.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2003, 10:30:14 AM »
Collossus was cool, really cool.

Yeah I thought The X Kids were a little lame. But hey they're kids!!! All in all it was everything I expected and more.

Except they didnt kill Cyclops off.  
Man I would have paid good money for that.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2003, 12:14:35 PM »
Cyclops was much cooler in the first movie. In this one, he was just window dressing.

I would have loved to see what powers those mutant kids had.  maybe combined they might have been able to free themselves without the X-Men (although this would have deprived Nightcrawler of being cool and heroic).

And I also really loved Collossus, but the scene where Xavier is surrounded by all of his new students at the end: all these little nine and ten year olds, and big hulking Collossus, just kinda looked VERY not right.  Aaaanyway, I hope Peter Rasputin gets more of a part in the third installment.

And am I the oly one who found it strange that with all the slicing and dicing Wolverine did at the mansion, there wasn't a single drop of blood on him?  Not even on his claws.  Guess he has the mutant power of Teflon.  

So it looks like Rogue CAN touch people safely, as long as the touch is not prolonged or intense.  I wonder if they will play this up either in the next movie or maybe even in the comics.

The shadow seen in the water at the end was the Dark Phoenix emblam, indicating very strongly that in movie #3, Dark Phoenix makes her appearance and will probably be the one who tips the scales to the side of the X-Men in their upcoming war against Magneto/humankind/Sentinals/etc.

Nightcrawler was great!  I hope he gets his own costume in the next film.

Oh well, that's my two cents worth for the day.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly