Author Topic: Blogging for Serenity  (Read 13072 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Blogging for Serenity
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2005, 09:39:23 PM »
so true... so very true

/me weeps
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2005, 10:03:29 PM »
So, I'm watching the series for the first time, and in the second episode ('train heist') an alliance deskmonkey says, "cargo theft of medical supplies in the Georgina system".

Discuss.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2005, 10:07:22 PM »
Well it was the least consistant episode,... essentially written in a day because the FOX execs hated the pilot (episode 1) and threatened to cancel the show before episode one was finished filming. One of the many screw-ups that sank the show....

But the planet is actually a moon around a gas giant, so that could be part of the answer... could just be a way to catagorize the system 500 years in the future... like saying a theft in the Shire of York, or Fairfax County... especially since the Giant itself is not habitable but the system of moons around it was.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 10:09:07 PM by ElJeffe »

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2005, 10:23:10 PM »
Heh. Also, the G-men said they had come 86 million miles. I dont know the distances from planet to planet but that seems too much for one system but too little for interstellar.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2005, 10:25:47 PM »
its 886.7 million miles from the sun to Saturn (generally thought to be the farthest we could live from earth using massive t-forming (Titan)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2005, 07:17:48 PM »
So I dont know how Rottentomatoes scores itself but Serenity has an 80 again after dipping down to the high 70's... Im not quite so sure why some of the "critics" actually get weighted as high as they do, you can see some serious bias in more than a few of the "Its the worst movie ever made posts" serious sci-fi hating bias not to mention I dont think they saw the same movie I did. Theyre talking about laserguns, and River wearing SS boots when she goes all wonky and murderous.
Still..
Most of the posts have been overwhelmingly positive, and the one or two critics I think people listen too (Namely Ebert (a 45% rate)) have raved about Serenity. Personally I want to see the movie get a RT value higher than Star Wars III, just for effect.

80% approval is good though... dont y'all think?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 07:27:53 PM by ElJeffe »

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2005, 09:33:06 PM »
Episode 3 got 82%. So, close.

Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2005, 11:00:10 PM »
the sad part is they'll just tell you that you want the Dark Angel movie next summer.

Is this a rumor you're starting or a real thing that's going to happen? Because I've been renting Dark Angel and just finished the last disc tonight. Only TWO seasons? No fair!
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2005, 11:43:02 PM »
rumor... but It could happen Alba is a hot tamale in Hollywood right now, and reviving dead shows seems popular...

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2005, 02:40:41 AM »
And she was so incredible in "Fantastic Four." You almost believed that she was real instead of C.G.I.
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2005, 01:45:37 AM »
Episode 3 got 82%. So, close.

It's down in the 70s now.  Seams the biggest complaints of the movie are:

1) the main character is unlikeable
2) It's too smart for it's own good, to the extent that sometimes is seams like whole scenes were set up just for whitty banter and didn't help in advanceing the plot much.

Haven't seen it yet but they seam like fair criticisms, especially #2 which he did in his TV shows too often.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2005, 06:10:34 AM »
its been teetering at 79-80 and honestly the biggest complaint I saw was... "it science fiction" I dont think I ever saw one that said Mal was unlikeable. Too talky yes... and more than a few saying its sci-fi so why do the guns look like guns and not rayguns...
But as RT has expanded to some rather dubious critics Im less inclined to get worked up over it.

For instance take this womans bad review

Horrible.
SERENITY
By
Victoria Alexander
FilmsInReview.com

This is a woman who gave Rob Schneiders "The Animal" a Fresh rating...

Its quite obvious that her Judgement is in question,

« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 06:23:16 AM by ElJeffe »

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2005, 06:33:39 AM »
The movie was okay, not awesome.  It could have been a lot better, but some stuff seemed kind of pointless or just dumb.  I know nothing about the TV show, never even saw a preview or anything, so I don't know anything about that.  Like I always thought it was supposed to be some ripoff of Taken or something until I saw the movie preview.

Of course I would kind of expect for Joss Whedon to screw up a good idea once he started tinkering with it, ie Buffy was dumb, but Angel ended up being pretty cool cause he handed it off to someone else. (further proof IMO is that the few episodes of Angel that he did direct were lame).
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2005, 07:36:16 AM »
Well it's hard to grab the full gripe with a rotten review, or even a good one for that matter, from the one sentence blurbs on RT.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2005, 07:43:58 AM »
So despite my efforts I came across a spoiler in someones LJ. Blah. Stupid smacktards who won't give spoiler warnings before blabbing plot points.  >:(

Fellfrosch