Author Topic: Revenge of the Sith -- Spoilers!  (Read 9145 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Revenge of the Sith -- Spoilers!
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2005, 07:42:37 PM »
Is one of his daughters in the funeral at the end. There are two or three who get really good close-ups, and I wondered if that might be them.

Also, I find it very funny that Lucas never put his kids into any movie until Peter Jackson put his kids into LotR--I bet Lucas's kids went straight to him and started complaining. The mere thought of that makes me laugh.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2005, 07:56:28 PM »
From the imdb trivia page for the movie:

SPOILER: Samuel L. Jackson (Mace Windu) said he knew that he must die in this film, so he told George Lucas he would only do the film if Mace Windu goes out in a blaze of glory and not "like some sucka". On an American late-night talk show, he confirmed that he did indeed have a meaningful death scene; and he does not go out like "some punk".
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2005, 11:37:34 PM »
Finally saw it, loved it!

I, too, saw the Falcon.

I also really dig that Anakin does fulfil the prophecy in Episode 6, which we all knew.  Now it seems more real though.

The dialogue between Yoda and Obi-Wan in Episode V also is quite a bit cooler.

Sure, there were flaws, but he made me believe again.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2005, 12:14:49 AM »
I saw the falcon too. I suspect Lando won it off a bet originally, though.

I'm thinking I'll be buying the DVDs of the original series very soon.

and reading all the books and such.

For more on my opinion, read my review when it gets put up, or now if you're a mod.

Oh, and I really loved the idea that R2 wasn't brain wiped. It explains a LOT.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2005, 12:23:54 AM »
I kind of wonder why they had to bring C3PO along. He kind of seemed like excess baggage in the new movies.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2005, 02:07:05 AM »
The close up of the girl in Padame's funeral was her sister in the movies, the same girl is in deleated scenes from EP2.

Also Lucas's kids were all in EP2, the son was the one that replied to Yoda about the missing planet and his daughters were in the Bar where they chased Zam.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2005, 11:44:36 AM »
I kind of wonder why they had to bring C3PO along. He kind of seemed like excess baggage in the new movies.

Three reasons, I think:

1) Lucas had always mentioned the movies were kind of from the droid's point of view.

2) Anakin built 3PO so would probably keep him around.

3) People wanted to see him.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2005, 05:10:55 PM »
actualy I've only heard Lucas say that about ep 4 Mr. P (about the PoV), and that movie is very much from their PoV but not so much the others.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2005, 12:48:25 AM »
Since everyone is (on the net, not here necessarily) is complaining about paradoxes and such, I have to say this comic amused me.

http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cgi-bin/comic.pl?comic=600
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2005, 03:43:15 PM »
Ok, saw this. It was so so to me. I would have been entirely happy had they recast Hayden with some other person to play Anakin in this episode.

Why do the ships get those round "FTL" travel rings now and are never brought up in any of the other episodes? Crazy wild.

Vader should have just blew everything up at learning that he "killed" Padme. The "no" was too much. I cringed, litereally.

It was really rather dark, which was what was wanted I suppose, but the younglin's? Why oh Vader, why! OOhhh, so edgy.

The points everyone else has brought up has made me realize that I am not, indeed, this much of a nerd. You're all nerds. Nerds! =P I jest. nerds
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2005, 12:35:13 AM »
SE:

Odd, to my mind, that is EXACTLY how you fall.

You DON'T go from stopping a man from committing a dishonorable murder to SLAUGHTERING CHILDREN in the very next breath.  

He didn't do enough.  Perhaps what happened is a little more true to life, but it didn't work for Star Wars (for me.)  This is space opera--it's exaggerated.  When a ship turns in space, people fall down elevators.  (Think about that one for a while.)

Anakin did something GOOD and then swore allegiance to a dark lord.  In my mind, he didn't make his decision when he went to go interrupt Mace.  Anakin was at his best point, morally, in the film at that point.  

Didn't work for me.  

Sith are always betraying each other. It makes one wonder why they bother taking an apprentice. Every apprentice that isn't cut in half by a Jedi first eventually kills his master.

Actually, I really liked how they added to this part of the mythos in the film.  When Palpatine is talking to Anakin, he implies that some day he'll be killed by his apprentice--and he doesn't really mind.  It's the way of the pack.  In this way, they actually become a little bit more noble.  The ideal is more important than the individual.  

The Sith were less evil in this movie than before.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2005, 12:46:57 AM »
Anakin did something GOOD and then swore allegiance to a dark lord.  In my mind, he didn't make his decision when he went to go interrupt Mace.  Anakin was at his best point, morally, in the film at that point.

I didn't really see is that way. To me, Anakin had decided what he wanted before he stopped Mace from killing Palpatine. He knew there was a strong possibility that Palpatine was evil and that Mace would be doing the right thing by killing him.

But it was established prior that Anakin had a beef with the Jedi and saw Palpatine as his way out. The Jedi were not going to give him the power he desired and were also not going to let him be with Padme. Palpatine had offered what he wanted and Anakin felt justified in accepting that offer.

So when Anakin stops Mace from killing Palpaltine, it is really for his own interests, not so much to save Palpaltine or to do what is right.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2005, 09:31:12 AM »
As for Leia remembering her mother. Why not remembering her adopted mother? It's not like anything in any of the dialog stated that it had to be her birth mother. If adopted when only a few days old, she probably very much called her adopted mother "mom" or whatever her entire life. THe description Leia gives in Ep 6 isn't exactly Padme specific.

But Anakin called Palpatine on the holo-phone after killing the trade guys, then right afterward Padme and Obi-Wan showed up, then the emperor said he thought Anakin was in danger and left to go get him. I don't think Anakin was sitting there on the rock for a week while Palpatine's ship got there...do you?

I think there could definitely been a time lapse in between there. But the reality of time of travel has never been a big issue for Star Wars.

Anakin DIDN'T go from being a perfect person, EUOL, or even one NOT prone to selfish displays of behavior. He has been living in violation of the Jedi code for years now, keeping his life a secret. He killed an entire tribe of Sandpeople for revenge, remember that? INCLUDING the women and children (in his own words).

Plus, I submit to you, that he did NOT stop Mace Windu for doing the right thing. What does he say right before CHOPPING HIS ARM OFF? (because, y'know, he couldn't have BLOCKED that blow, could he -- oh wait, yes he could). He says "I need him!" "I" not "we" not "This is wrong!" His reason for so brutally stopping Mace Windu, and breaking a direct order from a superior, and for not acknowledging that Mace is right: the senate will let him off, and he'll be free to terrorize the Jedi again, this time with even more legal protections -- his reason is because he wants to save padme.

At that moment, he has made his decision. He has decided that saving Padme is more important than anything else. Even bing the person who doesn't kill little kids. He has already betrayed his own people, he has already decided to throw in with the Dark Side. Knowing addictive and sinful behavior, he's probably of the mind set that it doesn't matter what he does now. His mind is clouded by passion and guilt, and he doesn't think reasonably. In fact, he still can believe the lie he tells himself when he calls the Jedi evil and argues that he is now in a position to do good in the world, having turned to the Dark Side.

So yeah, you're right, you don't go from doing from nobly stopping a dishonorable murder to slaughtering children in an instant. But that's not what Anakin did either. He didn't stop the murder because it was dishonorable (and you'll have a difficult time convincing me that Mace's proposed action was dishonorable: illegal MAYBE, but necessary for the good, Mace was RIGHT). He stopped that murder for purely selfish reasons. He was already the killer of children. He already had chosen to follow the dark side. That was completely believeable and how I think it really would happen.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2005, 10:15:22 AM »
I agree with e on this one. I went into Eps. III thinking of Anakin as a bad guy. He was a bad guy by the end of Eps. II. The older Anakin is just selfish, arrogant, and manipulative--in other words, evil.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2005, 12:14:15 PM »
I agree, but I do want to point out that Anakin does some very good, noble things in this movie--like turning in Palpatine. He was not yet completely evil, but he did have the potential.

As for Leia remember her adopted mother, sure, she might have, but then why should Luke (or us) care? What's the big deal? Back when we all assumed that Leia was talking about their birth mother (whom we now know as Padme), that dialogue had powerful resonance. Now that she's just talking about her adopted mother, it's a waste that has no real significance to Luke or to the audience or to the story.