Author Topic: Revenge of the Sith -- Spoilers!  (Read 9146 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Revenge of the Sith -- Spoilers!
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 08:28:51 PM »
Finally saw it and I liked it.

Anakins turn to the dark side is believable enough for me. Sure he makes choices that I wouldn't make, and I hope most people wouldn't make those same choices. Yet, I know a lot of people who make choices that I find to be rather strange.

So following Ookla's lead, things I didn't like:

Vadar screaming "Nooo" after hearing about Padme's death. Like father like son I guess.

Padme not figuring out that Anakin was evil back when I figured it out back in Ep. II. Again, dumb choices.

Ian McDiarmid's acting. Sorry Ookla, but he was chewing every bit of scenery he could find, IMHO. His inflection and intonation were just off and he over-gestured way too much. Which is kind of sad, because the Emporer was way cool in this movie.

Chewbacca showing up. You're right it is unneccessary, but I'm consoling myself by saying it is really Chewbacca Sr.

The discussions on democracy, political thought, and other philosphical debates were just convoluded and muddled. In the end, I can't really say who was on which philosophical side.

Stuff I though kicked-a**

Ewan McGregor's acting was absolutly amazing. The cheesy lines he made believable and the general prescence he brougth reallly helped make Obi-Wan just plain cool.

Mace Windu was cool.

I liked R2 taking on the droids in the shuttle bay.

I  loved watching Anakin get defeated by Obi-Wan. I thought is was dramatic and I sadistically enjoyed watching Anakin get his upcummins.

No Jar Jar Binks diologues.

I liked the subtle tie-ins to the Clone Wars animated series with things like General Grievous.

I liked the sound editing right after Vadar's mask gets placed and all you hear is the breathing.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 09:01:23 PM »
I agree-that sound effect made me literally giggle with joy. And Obi-Wan did more with his part than anyone in the series. I really like McDiarmid, though.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 09:43:10 PM »
I think I need to watch all 6 movies in a row in a short period and then reevaluate.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 10:44:44 PM »
I agree, Ookla. If I were in California I'd suggest a marathon viewing over Memorial Day weekend.  Course we could do that here, I guess, but we don't own episodes one or two.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2005, 09:27:49 AM »
You didn't find his fall believable? Odd, to my mind, that is EXACTLY how you fall.

There's an obviously contradictory web of lies that the emperor weaves, yet Anakin buys into it (this is also believable: remember Korihor? YEah, the one that tells ALma that an angel from God appeared to tell him that there is no god? Yeah, but he still bought into it). Anakin is THERE because he needs to save Padme, it's more important than all the problems with the council trusting him, it's more important than killing an obvious source of evil. He's made a conscious decision to join with Palpatine, KNOWING he was a Sith lord. It was more importnat to him than anything else. He's still horrified with himself, but  he has to do it to save Padme. And as he sins more and more, he starts to accept other of his ambitions being important too.

Babies? Yeah, they were too big, but I would think considerably less of the mother that let her 1 month old be used in a film if she wasn't the one holding him. THat didn't bug me in anyway.

The only problem I had with wookies was that they were built up so much for movie promotion (which, frankly, is probably a problem with the fans more than Lucasfilm, we saw wookies, we wanted wookies, we got hyped about wookies...). The only thing that was necessary about them was that it had to be SOMEBODY. Why NOT be wookies? So it didn't really bother me. True, there's nothing to indicate that Chewbacca was a war hero, but there was also nothing at all to indicate that he WASN'T. The clone troopers are hunting down and wiping out wookies in the last scene on Kashyyk. If Chewbacca was a war hero, that makes him even more of a loner refugee in the galaxy by Episdoe IV. And he *is* 200 years old, so sorry boys, that was Chewbacca the buddy of Han, not his dad.

Things that bothered me? Not much. Perhaps Palpatine's butt-crack forehead, but that's about it.
I find it kinda funny that eight limbs (plus 3 heads, not counging battle droids) get severed over the course of the flim.

The thing I liked most? Seeing the Millenium Falcon. Yes, I swear I'm telling the truth. I'm the only one I know that recognized it, but I double checked on the second viewing. It was there.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2005, 10:12:17 AM »
I find it kinda funny that eight limbs (plus 3 heads, not counging battle droids) get severed over the course of the flim.

I thought about that too, quite a bit.  At least one hand/arm gets severed in each of the first trilogy too. It occurs to me that perhaps it's something they teach when learning to use a lightsaber.  Disarm your opponant by cutting off his hand (unintentional but necessary pun.)  Makes him drop the weapon so you can grab it, assuming he's not too busy screaming to grab it with the other hand and shoot you. It's non-lethal 'cause the wound is probably instantly cauterized and we all know a prosthetic hand is no trouble to get.  

So it must be something they teach.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2005, 11:09:50 AM »
3P0 also gets dismembered quite a bit throughout the films, except this one and TPM.
A quick dismemberment recap for the home audience :)

Ep1 - 3P0 not quite all there. Maul halved
Ep2 - 3P0 loses his head. Anakin loses right forearm. Jango loses his head.
Ep3 - Dooku loses both hands & head. Mace loses a hand. Grievous loses 2 hands. Anakin loses other arm & both legs.
Ep4 - 3P0 loses an arm. Ponda Baba (Walrusman) loses an arm.
Ep5 - 3P0 blasted to pieces. Luke loses right hand
Ep6 - 3P0 has an eye removed. Vader loses right hand (again!)

Plagueis is indeed Sidious' former master. He's mentioned in Labyrinth of Evil. I am curious which one of them may have helped conceive Anakin. Also brings up just how many strings Palpatine was pulling and for how long.

The Aayla thing was debunked [link=http://www.theforce.net/episode3/story/aayla_secura_talks_star_wars_tv_series_91649.asp]recently on TFN.[/link] According to this she will not be in the TV show. Her death, I suppose, is still up for debate. We don't technically see Windu die either.

Travel to anywhere in the galaxy now takes just minutes?
The time it takes to travel a given distance in Star Wars is in direct relation to driving the plot. ;) No way should Palpy have gotten to Mustafar so quickly from Coruscant.

No disbelief at his lord betraying him?
It's all in his look.

Ookla: If you like Grievous I would recommend Labyrinth of Evil and the Ep3 novel.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 11:16:37 AM by Dex1138 »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2005, 11:35:33 AM »
Sith are always betraying each other. It makes one wonder why they bother taking an apprentice. Every apprentice that isn't cut in half by a Jedi first eventually kills his master.

Maybe that's how they avoid getting killed by JEdi though. The masters are only ever killed by apprentices. It's probably easier to send an apprentice after a pack of Jedi and get him killed and start with a new scion than it is to avoid the entire Jedi order.

I don't see why ANakin couldn't have been on that planet for days. Or why those two battles had to be simultaneous (though they were presented that way). Why do you suspect that Yoda waited however long it took ObiWan to get to Anakin? It seems to me he would have gone right away. Which means that the emperor could have gotten to Vader shortly after he was made a quadraplegic.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2005, 11:54:10 AM »
Also in Ep2, Zam Wesell loses a hand and maybe an arm. And I swear someone loses an arm in Ep1, but I can't remember who at the moment.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2005, 02:30:24 PM »
Also SE you're correct about the Falchon being there I saw it too.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2005, 03:28:29 PM »
Where was it? Random background on Coruscant?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2005, 03:42:11 PM »
its the scene when the shuttle is landing that has Palapine, Anakin and Obi-won when they're meeting all the senators right after the rescue.  The falchon is really small but docking below that shuttle.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2005, 06:20:34 PM »
Which means that the emperor could have gotten to Vader shortly after he was made a quadraplegic.

But Anakin called Palpatine on the holo-phone after killing the trade guys, then right afterward Padme and Obi-Wan showed up, then the emperor said he thought Anakin was in danger and left to go get him. I don't think Anakin was sitting there on the rock for a week while Palpatine's ship got there...do you?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2005, 07:16:21 PM »
Maybe. Anakin's tough enough to survive that kind of ordeal, I think.

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2005, 07:34:36 PM »
By that point, he was probably feeling he deserved to be there anyway.

Can't believe I forgot about Zam!

I caught that Falcon-ish ship when I saw it also. If it is really the Falcon, I'm not sure who would be piloting it at that point in time. Since Lando would be too young.
* Also, when Anakin is going into the opera house to meet Palpy if you look screen left there are a man and young lady conversing. That's Lucas and one of his daughters.
* Lucas' other daughter was in the same scenes as Bai Ling. <*snip!*>
* The young Jedi boy that shows up when Bail tries to land is Lucas' son.
* The front of Bail's speeder is supposedly modelled after the [link=http://www.tuckerclub.org/html/see_a_tucker.php]Tucker car[/link]