Author Topic: Eragon  (Read 21458 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Eragon
« on: November 01, 2006, 12:53:32 PM »
Trailer is available on IMDB.

Yes, the book was written by a kid; yes, a great deal of the story isn't original; yes, it's not the best writing in the world, but....

The trailer looks kind of fun. However, I'm having a hard time taking it seriously and Malkovich--a favorite of mine in bad-guy roles--sounds so cliche in the trailer that I was annoyed. But then Jeremy Irons makes even cliche dialogue sound original. Anyone know the kid who plays Eragon?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 12:59:16 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: Eragon
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 03:12:30 PM »
You know, bad books can often make cool movies; Da Vinci Code is a prime example. Things that are tired and cliche in writing can be given new life visually, so when I saw the trailer for this it actually piqued my interest.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 03:21:56 PM »
You know, bad books can often make cool movies; Da Vinci Code is a prime example. Things that are tired and cliche in writing can be given new life visually, so when I saw the trailer for this it actually piqued my interest.

You may be the first person I've heard say the Da Vinci Code was a cool movie.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 03:26:13 PM »
The trailer was cool, but it reminds me of something made for the SciFi channel. Thus, it ends up in my "When I Have a Saturday Afternoon to Kill I'll See It" category.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 03:58:08 PM »
Hmm . . . Jeremy Irons + Dragons = crap.  I think I learned that equation back in high school physics.

Seriously, I'll be surprised if this film is worth watching.  They've managed to hash together a bunch of people who aren't doing much, lately.

John Malkovich--has been meh since 1999's Being John Malkovich.

Jeremy Irons--see above equation.

Edward Speleers (Eragon)--Newcomer and unknown

Stefen Fangmeier (director)--Who?  This is his directorial debut.  He seems to be primarily a visual effects supervisor--over Lemony Snicket and Master and Commander most recently.  Putting an effects-guru in charge of a movie that could easily turn into all effects and no substance seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

Four people are taking screen credit for writing the sucker, none of them really consistent or well-known.  Too many mediocre cooks in the kitchen . . .

John Davis (producer)--His resume looks like a prime example of what not to produce.  A slew of sequels (Doctor Doolittle 3, anyone?), Waterworld, Garfield . . . There are a few decent flicks (Predator), but they're heavily outnumbered.

In other words, there just isn't enough here to make me have belief in the film, even if it was on something new.  The fact that it's on Eragon, a book that has sold well more because of who wrote it than any actual merit . . .  It'll take a lot of convincing to get me into a theater, more than 4 minutes of effects shots slapped together into a preview.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 06:20:18 AM »
So ABC Family was just showing a clip of this and when the dragon talks her mouth doesn't even move, not sure if there's supposed to be telepathy here or bad Special Effects.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 10:24:36 AM »
It makes me spectacularly happy to see this movie doing this badly.  http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/eragon/

The book was a waste of many many trees.  Sounds like to movie isn' t much better.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 03:04:19 PM »
I saw Eragon and right after went back and saw Apocalypto.  I think Apocalytpo was better, but it also creeped me out; I liked it though.  Eragon is something I wouldn't mind having on dvd and rewatching every now and then.  If anything, it was a bit too short, probably would have been better with some more time for character and story development.  Also, the dragons are real smart like in D&D and can understand people talking, they can also talk to their dragonrider telepathically, but I don't think they can just talk out loud to anyone.  I think it deserves a sequel, if they improve on the faults of the first one.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 03:17:51 PM »
mind turning that into a full review for us Eagle?

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 06:13:17 PM »
It makes me spectacularly happy to see this movie doing this badly.  http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/eragon/

I have to say, this line from a rotten review made me laugh:
In a time of darkness, under the evil reign of John Malkovich... a hero shall rise. But lo, there will be little rejoicing, for this dragon rider (newcomer Edward Speleers) is but a nancy boy.
Luke Y. Thompson
L.A. Weekly

I might risk watching this on DVD. With such bad reviews, it's very unlikely I'll pay $8 to see it in the theaters.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 07:24:01 PM »
My favorite review was the one that said it liked Eragon better when it was called Star Wars.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 01:56:57 AM »
And it got #2 with 25 million, pretty good for a december.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 03:08:01 PM »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2006, 02:39:52 AM »
Hm, you say the movie's flaws keep it from being good, but it gets over 50% of the clocks?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2006, 04:12:00 AM »
Sure, above average but not good.  I'd think an average movie like 3, good something like 4 to 5, and plain awesome 5-1/2 or 6.  Below average probably 2 or 2-1/2, terrible something below that depending on just how bad.  If you like playing D&D, then I think you'd like the movie.  If you don't go to the movies too much, there are other shows that came out this month I'd see before this; in that case better to watch it on video.  But I know a few people who average about 2 movies a week at the theatre.

Comparing it to some of the other movies I've saw this month, I thought Rocky Balboa and Apocalypto were both good; better than Eragon.  I'd buy Rocky on dvd and probably even Eragon, but probably not Apocalypto, even though I thought it was a much better movie than Eragon.  Apocalypto just isn't the kind of movie meant for numerous rewatchings, but of the three I'd say its the one to see in the theatre as it will lose a lot of its effect when not on the big screen.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.