Author Topic: For Utahans the MATRIX is real  (Read 3451 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: For Utahans the MATRIX is real
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2004, 08:25:34 AM »
hrm... that's pretty freaky.

But I don't think it's just Utah. I've NEVER EVER had a good experience dealing with any sort of government. Federal, local, or state (in any state). If I could tell you what we're STILL going through to get my baby's name spelled right on her birth certificate (yes, she is over 6 months old), it would piss you off, and you're not going through it.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2004, 01:49:54 PM »
It kinda strikes me that the government pisses people off on purpose.  Along with hospitals, insurance agencies and car salesmen.  It seems those jobs are filled with lackies who enjoy pissing people off.  No offense to any government official, hospital/insurance worker/owner, or car salesman and/or women.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2004, 01:50:22 PM by GorgontheWonderCow »
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2004, 01:51:13 PM »
Underpaid, overworked.  Yeah, there are probably way too many people out there who are in bad moods who work for the govt.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2004, 01:55:33 PM »
Yeah, but what's the insurance companies' excuse?
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2004, 01:57:09 PM »
they employ college students at minimum wage to take your calls. Probably that.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2004, 01:59:01 PM »
wouldn't doubt it.  I wonder if those college students ever go home and have to mess with the insurance company...

that would be a REAL pain
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2004, 04:18:32 PM »
Well offense taken ...  
Those lackies your making fun of are dedicated patriotic individuals who are underpaid and overworked. (While the military's been getting raises for the last few years, state and federal governments have had to cut back on salaries) These people who you think enjoy pissing people off have to deal with thousands of people who piss them off all day long. I think its a huge case of lets shoot the messenger really, but generally the government only messes with you when somethings wrong. So people automatically expect the worst from them all the time. In many cases the annoyance and frustration your placing on the government is actually your own frustration and annoyance. Eric likes to badmouth cops, but he's had some good luck with them too... like the time we got pulled over in North Carolina up by Duke and the guy just told us too slow down... of course we didn't and a few hours later he got a ticket...
Its like the IRS and taxes, we hate them right? But without those taxes we wouldn't have parks and schools and roads to speed on.  
as a government employee I think that a lot of people arnt sensative to the needs of the individuals helping them many of the customers I deal with are rude, argumenative and disrespectful.
I attribute that to a me oriented lifestyle, one where if someone dont get instant service they have to pitch a huge fit.  Many callers to the NRC try to people like me on the defensive by tring to control the conversation, talking non stop and refusing to allow me to ask questions. I have to get specific information to start a report but they go on foaming at the mouth for as long as they can with me trying to interrupt  to explain that we have a standard way of doing our reports. Eventually they shut up and get pissed when I explain to them that they have to go through the same 20 minute diatribe again but slower and more concisely because I have to be able to type their gibberish into some sort of meaningful report. My favorite are the people who supply no information whatsoever, no call back number, no address of the incident, no responsible party and no location the event happened in. Then they demand immediate spill response. I may have the state and county to go off of and they want me to send a truck...

Add to that the hours of work we do without overtime pay, and the crappy equipment and tools we are given to do our job with and yeah that begins to tick you off.

But with the nice people, im nice, I'll banter back and forth, ask them how the weather is to fill dead air time while Im typing and so on.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2004, 06:42:15 PM »
My comment was directed more towards the government officials who decide to underpay their workers and cause everyone so much trouble.  But more-so than that my comment was towards insurance agencies, hospitals (don't get me started...) and, uhhhh, car salesmen.  I have nothing against the little people in the fray, but the lackies I refere to are the ones with real power.  
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2004, 10:11:22 PM »
actually, I DON'T believe every idiot behind a counter at the DMV is a patriotic individual. I think a lot of them are there to pay the bils. True, the situation is almost contrived to make them snarky arses, but I think attributing them the motivation of seeking employment at the records office or the DMV or something to their patriotism has no basis.

And yes, in my 15 years of driving cars, a single cop has been nice to me. That is the ONLY story. The number of times I've been harassed beyond reason FAR exceeds it. every other cop has treated me like an idiot or a criminal or someone trying to aggravate the cop personally. The abuses are far beyond that. PLus there's the total incompetance that I've met at public health offices, DMVs, voter registration offices, social security offices and records offices. The complete lack of ability to do their job in these locations is astounding.

Note, Jeffe, that I am not saying ANYTHING about you and your job, or anyone at your office. I've never called your office to report anything, so I have no experience there. But I do know that people at a multitude of other government offices have MADE UP ANSWERS rather than try to seek the correct one out for me, which has caused me a LOT of grief later. I am NEVER rude when I'm trying to get things done, because I just wanted to get something done, and being an arse doesn't help. But I nearly always meet with incompetance. This is not explained by frustrated customers. It CAN be partially explained by underpaid employees, but it also involves people who cannot distinguish between the jerk who came at them with a bad attitude and the guy asking a simple question so he can accomplish a task. THAT, my friend, is incompetence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2004, 11:13:35 PM »
Im not really responding to you either Saint... mainly Gorgon,
My experience with the government has been largely positive, gettin my new passport rushed to me in 3 weeks. Talking my way out of traffic tickets. Getting out of parking tickets.. and of course working for them and getting decent (not great but pretty good healthcare).
because those officials that choose to pay their employees like crap are the citizens of the US, to ones who determine the budget the government has to work with.  Sometimes it comes up to a toss up between building a school and paying 300 more DMV workers.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2004, 05:03:26 PM »
I appear to be wrong (as usual) but I am sticking to my guns about insurance agencies and used car salesmen.  I don't think there is any way anyone who isn't affiliated with them can defend them in their right mind...
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2004, 05:14:01 PM »
I suppose I am generalizing here, so I should admit my possible misdoings now.  I am sure there are SOME good car salesmen/women somewhere, but most I've ever dealt with will do anything to make a sale.  I am pretty sure, however, there is no good insurance company that is a profit making one.  If so, I have never heard of it.
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2004, 05:54:47 PM »
USAA
they give me a refund check at the end of the year...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 05:55:26 PM by ElJeffe »

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2004, 07:16:02 PM »
Well la-di-da.  You have an answer for EVERYTHING, don't you, eh?  Well I don't have to deal with any of them for now, so I guess I shouldn't really worry about it...
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2004, 07:19:02 PM »
Let me offer you some advice about insurence too... you get out what you pay in... pay more (without accidents that is) and you get treated pretty nice.. if you can afford it never ever have any deductable, if you do have one make it very very low. That way any and all repairs come from their pocket and not yours. ( Well ok it all comes from yours, but you dont have to scrounge around for 500 bucks when you dont have it)