• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: ugg..
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2003, 11:10:11 PM »
I like your random assignment of nations to fantasy cultures. It amuses me.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2003, 10:47:25 AM »
Random...? Tolkien based middle earth on europe.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2003, 11:34:31 AM »
sort of, yes. It's a gross over simplification to uniformly assign a European culture to most of the cultures in Tolkien. And if some of your assignments aren't as accurate even if you can. For example, the Hobbits are the gentlemen English farmers. There's your Britain -- short, insular people with hairy feet.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2003, 11:54:47 AM »
I did not mention cultures, only physical locations. You were talking about distances, so i put them into perspective. Down boy!

And might i point out that the hobbits may be englsih farmers, but i am not. The dwarves are the scots :) So... if you are a dwarf and dwarves are scots, you are scottish. Which i find disturbing.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2003, 05:46:12 PM »
I dont' think you could fairly assign dwarfs to Scots.
And don't think I don't find it disturbing that you think I'm a Scot.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2003, 06:43:22 PM »
I dont' think you could fairly assign dwarfs to Scots.

Why not? Scots have clans, are traditional, hold grudges,  are warlike (the highlander regiments were the vanguard of the redcoats during the 7 years war), have connections to mountains (loadsa hills) and go in for beards. And, of course, if the English are Elves (traditional, sea farers, interest in royalty/bloodlines etc) then that makes (historical) sense. Two races fighting etc.

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2003, 06:46:40 PM »
Warning!Warning!someone has thought way too much about a work of fiction
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 06:47:01 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2003, 09:11:02 PM »
1) there is rarely such a thing as "thinking too much"
2) I think the problem is thinking not enough. There are too many other aspects of Tolkien dwarves, and most of this is just superficial. Same for the elves, who are not imperial like the English and prefer to stay out of affairs. Also their linguistic/folklore traditions vary widely from tradition British Isles mythology and language. It's nice enough for a very brief comparison, but doesn't hold up when you "think too much."

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2003, 10:08:30 PM »
It was a joke Eric, a joke.

Tolkien dwarves? Everyone knows they're German anyways.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2003, 10:51:29 PM »
it's one of those things I don't allow jokes about. I hear it too much as a derisive comment. Remember, when you talk about analyzing literature, you're talking about what I *DO*. With Entropy it's one thing, he doesn't even WANT me to respect his opinion when it comes to how literary studies. But you're different. I do respect your academic opinion, so it annoys me when you say something so blatantly ignorant.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2003, 10:17:03 PM »
Ouch.  That's a little over the top, SE.  

Anyway, I'm going to have to go with the Dwarves being Scots--if only because that's the way everyone generally interprets them.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2003, 10:40:53 PM »
Like I said, it's one of my pet peeves. It angers me to no end when someone tells me I'm "over analyzing" when I explain the Apollonian/Dionysian worship trends manifesting in a movie like "Joe Versus the Volcano" and the bearing that has on the love/hero dichotomy played out in the film.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2003, 03:33:52 PM »
ehh, well deal, I was insulting the scot and not you.

And I say German, they have a love of fine craftsmanship (especially weapons) they covet lots of things and are willing to make war to get them. They have prejudices against just about everyone. Oh and they dont have sheep.

Oh and they tend to start their wars strong and then lose them.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2003, 05:11:34 AM »
ehh, well deal, I was insulting the scot and not you.

And I say German, they have a love of fine craftsmanship (especially weapons) they covet lots of things and are willing to make war to get them. They have prejudices against just about everyone. Oh and they dont have sheep.

Oh and they tend to start their wars strong and then lose them.

Er...? Since when did tolkien actually describe the dwarves losing a war? The war against the misty mountain goblins was won y'know.

The scots have predujuces, believe me. We are apparently the most rascist country in europe.

Fellfrosch

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2003, 05:17:46 PM »
To my knowledge Tolkien had no intentions at allegory whatsoever.  Sure, some similarities exist between history and Tolkien's story, but as far as analogies go, I'll take JRR's word for it:

[The Lord of the Ring's] sources are things long before in mind, and little or nothing in it was modified by the war that began in 1939 or its sequels.  The real war does not resemble the legendary war in its process or in its conclusion...Other arrangements could be devised according to the tastes and views of those who like allegory or topical reference.  But I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence.  I much prefer history, true or feigned, with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers.  I think that many confuse 'applicability' with 'allegory'; but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.
 etc. etc.

J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring, Foreward to the Second Edition.