Author Topic: Novel in a month  (Read 37643 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Novel in a month
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2003, 04:10:19 PM »
I think that would be cool.

Sounds like you're doing great. Don't stop when you reach a word count, just keep going!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2003, 04:39:04 PM »
which is like the biggest thing I've ever done to myself

Er...

done BY myself, i desperately hope.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2003, 04:41:41 PM »
Sounds like you guys are going great--1360 words by 1:00 is awesome, Gemm. I'm about to start, so wish me luck.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2003, 04:43:15 PM »
speaking of word count, I just passed 1700, and every idiot in the world started calling me. Kill them I'd like. KILL THEM ALL! But at least I got that far.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2003, 04:48:37 PM »
Heh, so far I've got about 200 words of novel stuff, and 700 words of a short story that ambushed me last night.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2003, 04:49:29 PM »
hahaha!
you should change the story intot he novel, sounds like you're doing better on that.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2003, 05:01:24 PM »
Alright, I've gotten the interview finished.  So anyone who wants it give me a hollar and I'll send it to you (will need e-mail address). Now I think I'll have to see if I can get some of my English essay finished before I start anymore noveling.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2003, 05:04:01 PM »
The Assassin and the Princess: a novel.

Nope, I think I'd run out of story Loooooong before a week was up.  Though if I get really really stuck, I might do it out of desperation.

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Writing music?
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2003, 05:13:48 PM »
So what's everyone listening to while they write?  Any really good playlists going on?

I'm listening to Massive Attack Right  now.   Quite nice, actually.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2003, 05:16:59 PM »
The princess could be undead. or immortal. Or else the assassin could keep falling. c'mon, work with me here!

I got nuthin on the radio. I'm at work. I'm just hoping more idiots don't call to interrupt me.

Gemm, send it on over, just use the email on my account.

Incidentally, my hero's name is Anpechswyn (ahn-PEK-so-in). Most of the characters so far have pseudo welsh sounding names, with lots of w's and y's. I decided to run with it and give an amalgam of British isles influence. The local landowner is a laird, (Scottish, in origin, i think), etc. I'm liking it so far.

And ok, guys, I need some ideas. I've started talking about something. It's not going to stop me from continuing the story, but I need a reason why I have so many dang orphans in this village. I even felt compelled to acknowledge that very few grown men were left besides the laird and his household. (Ok, they're not orphans, the widows are still around mostly). The plot I had in mind doesn't necessarily involve this, but I guess I need to address it eventually.

So, why did so many men die? I toyed with the idea that they were recruited to the King's army and killed, but I kinda want it to be unique to this very small area.

One thought is a witch of fairy took them. Another is that there was some ritual or deed that the men set out on (maybe even an ordinary task... mining?) that went wrong and got them killed. Whatever it is, it has to be something that is no longer a threat. Or at least an immediate one. There's plenty of vagueness about the plot so I can incorporate it into the main plot if necessary. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 05:18:23 PM by SaintEhlers »

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2003, 07:18:14 PM »
I haven't started writing yet.  What the fun of a thing if you can't tempt fate?  I'll probably start when I get home from the show tonight, around 10.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2003, 07:32:01 PM »
All right, I finished a prologue and a chapter, rounding out just over 2400 words. I couldn't think of a name for the proprietor of an inn, so I named him Priet. I wonder if I'll follow that naming convention throughout the book. I'm pretty pleased with it, though my planned ending seems much more abrupt than I was intending it to be. My main problem with it is that I can't write barbarian dialogue--everyone I write has an erudite, vaguely british way of speaking, with big words and needlessly convoluted sentence structure, and it's very hard to break out of. I might just leave it that way, though, since the barbarian is supposed to be very different from all the other barbarians anyway.

I don't know what to tell you about your orphans, SE. I'd just say to go with the war idea, but maybe you could say that...um...this village relies on mining as an industry, and one day it collapsed with all the men inside.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2003, 07:52:03 PM »
I personally like the mining story best - very tragic, and no one will blame the King so they'll still be loyal. (I assume).

And the assassin isn't trying to kill the princess- he's trying to marry her.  His plot is to find an excuse to kill all her other suitors.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2003, 08:47:12 PM »
She could have lotsa suitors!

Fell - interesting. How do british talk (type?) differently from you guys?

I like how both saint and fell go in for the british isles influence. We brits rule.

Also : i'm close to drunk. I need a cold shower, stat!
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2003, 09:33:28 PM »
Dammit, Eric, you've just turned my short story into a novel.  I hope you're proud of yourself.