Author Topic: Has "this" ever happened to you?  (Read 8733 times)

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
Re: Has "this" ever happened to you?
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2003, 08:16:16 PM »
I met my husband when I went to a Dance competition to watch my friend compete. Then I got to know him better through a friend I met at TLE.  You're not going to meet anyone sitting in your room all weekend.

At least go be bored in the library where there are other people. ;-) You never know . . .
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2003, 10:54:33 PM »
Yeah, that is hard, being away at college. But haven't you made friends with people on your floor, or in class, or maybe there's a campus club of something-or-other you'll want to get involved in? I had it much easier socially my first year of college, as I lived in a house that was kind of like a sorority. We had to attend a certain number of house events per semester, and just the fact that they had all sorts of activities, starting with an orientation and scavenger hunt all over campus the first weekend we moved in, got us involved.

Another thing about being Mormon, for those of us on the board that are, is that we automatically have a social group at church no matter where we move. So when I moved here to Boston--and before, when I moved to Chicago--all I had to do was go to church and start introducing myself to people, and eventually I found interesting people to be friends with. It's much harder when you don't have an instant social group like a church or a sorority.

So, Gemm, I feel for ya. But I do think you can, over time, find people with similar interests on campus. Most of the BYU people on this board know each other from TLE and related things like game night and writing group, which was how I met 42 and Brenna and EUOL and MoD, etc. Well, actually Brenna and I had a class together and she announced TLE, and I decided to go with her one night, if you want to get technical. My point is that I bet if you went to your school's website and looked up clubs, or if there's some other way of finding out activities on campus like a bulletin board, you'd find gaming people or book groups or whatever. I don't know what school you're at, but that's my general experience, having attended 4 different colleges/universities across the country, and it tends to be the same.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2003, 12:09:07 PM »
I bet you could find a sci-fi club or a gaming club without breaking a sweat. Of course, then you'd have to hang out with sci-fi geeks and gamers. And you'd never meet any girls.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2003, 01:21:22 PM »
I don't think Church is such an automatic social club. I can't count the number of friends I've made at church that I actually do things with (or did) on one hand.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2003, 02:15:53 PM »
Do you mean you CAN count them on one hand? Or that the number is slow low you could only count them on a hand with no fingers at all?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2003, 05:18:59 PM »
Hey now. I've met a few really good friends at Church. Just many more from classes and clubs, and very few from my ward.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2003, 07:11:33 PM »
For me it's pretty much the opposite. Well, unless you don't count roommates. Most of my longest-term friends have been through a ward. Especially when single and living outside of Utah (i.e., now). Saint, when you were single, did you ever live in a non-Utah singles' ward? In Chicago and Boston, for me, that's where I've met most of my friends.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2003, 07:12:13 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2003, 08:18:30 PM »
I wouldn't count roommates, because they'd be your roommates even if you didn't go to church.

And I'm not counting Institute of Religion either, because you have to choose to go to that even if you're active in your ward. And I have met a lot of people that I hung with at IR. I consider that more of a "class" than "church."

While I did attend a singles ward for a bit, I wasn't really a member of the ward or a regular attendee. I was mostly there to scope for chicks.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2003, 08:55:06 PM »
I think you could include Institute in the "Church helps you make friends" category. Her point was that active Church membership helps you make friends quickly in new places because of the way it's structured socially. Institute applies to that rather directly. Roommates don't, though, you're right about that.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2003, 09:13:15 PM »
eh, ok, point conceded. But I think it also meant that a social system was intact just by being active. And you can be active without going to Institute. So I still think of it as related but distinct, because it's outside the "normal" church-going activities (like FHE groups, ward prayer, break-the-fast feasts, firesides, etc), and it's independent of the Ward.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2003, 11:50:20 PM »
Institute was much better for making friends than young singles too.

Gemm, buddy, you need to get  out of your room!
Go to a campus club of some kind, play an intermural sport or go see an inexpensive show or something. Heck go out to Slevin (7-11) buy a bunch O' party stuff and have a gotta spend the weekend doing something party with your door wide open and a sign outside saying come and meet this planets answer to world hunger!

My first few weeks at College were tough also, but the only way to get over them is to hang out with the people who are there.... A great place to meet people is the public dorm lounges (cussing at the TV is fun)
or go bug your RA for a little bit.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2003, 11:57:31 AM »
Ok, ok, ok, ok, ok. Now this thought has rung through my head on and off for a while now. So I've implored myself to ask the fine folks at TWG-Forums.me. Why, oh why is it that women do not approach the men? Hmmm? This bugs the bugs butt out of me. I've always wondered about this, you know?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2003, 12:06:40 PM »
The main lesson that I learned in all my vast dating experience:  Women DO approach men.  They just don't approach YOU.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2003, 12:58:04 PM »
I'm just gonna reaffirm hom on this one. There are aggressive chicks. And that should be a sign to all of us who haven't been approached.

Oh, and plus: not all women who will approach men are well, desirable to have approaching you. Jeffe knows who I speak of in Greensboro.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2003, 12:58:58 PM by SaintEhlers »

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2003, 02:08:22 PM »
Yes there are women who approach men, plenty of them, and some of them are desireable and some of them arnt.

The bulk of women don't ask men because in our society they don't have to.  Complaining about it wont help you go out and say hi.

But the undelying issue isn't really about asking for a date, it actually seems to be making friends and doing stuff doesn't it Gemm.  Those friends should be women and men and you should go out and meet a lot of people.
Seriously, oh and make friends with someone who has a car so you can go on road trips.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!