Author Topic: review: The Lost Vault of Tsathzar Rho  (Read 2342 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
Re: review: The Lost Vault of Tsathzar Rho
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 01:31:51 AM »
I liked this adventure more than Barrow of the Forgotten King.  There is plenty of room for improvement, and it will teach you why oldschool gamers always search for traps, secret doors, and hidden treasure in every room, but overall its a decent dungeon-crawl.   When people do that in newer adventures, it seems almost a bit of a waste of time, but it is required for this type of mod.

Barrow of the Forgotten King seemed more linier, and a weaker story, despite this dungeon crawl ment to be RP/Story-lite.  The story I think starts to tighten up a bit toward the end, but the first does little to hold your attention, which should be the most key part of an adventure.  There are entire articles about adventure hooks... obviously because its an important part of an adventure.

Even though the fights in this mod gave us more trouble than in Barrow, I think Barrow actually had more unbalanced fights.  In this mod, our party was average at best; our PCs for Barrow were a lot more powerful, and a similiar number of PCs (3 PCs plus 1 NPC), but Barrow was built more around a 4-man group and Lost Vault was built more around a 6-man group.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 01:35:48 AM by Eagle Prince »
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: review: The Lost Vault of Tsathzar Rho
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 04:49:31 PM »
Ever since this review has gone up, almost all the amazon advertisements show up as ads for Dungeon Crawl Classics. There are a lot of them.

I'm actually running another one this Saturday. I guess I should write a review of that one too.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.