Author Topic: review: Complete Scoundrel  (Read 2288 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
Re: review: Complete Scoundrel
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 08:38:38 PM »
Good review Spriggin, I agree with basically all your points.  Its pretty well-done over all and its got way more for true rogues than Complete Adventurer ever thought of having.  Complete Adventurer seemed to have a whole lot for adding a bit of rogue to other classes, only a handful of stuff for true rogues (a couple feats like Staggering Strike and Tactile Trapsmith, and a few prestige classes although the only one that comes to mind is Spymaster, which was pretty weak anyway).  This book is the opposite, lots of stuff for rogues, with some general advice on adding some rogue flavor to other classes and only a few PrCs and feats meant for purely multiclass rogues.

One thing I don't think you touched on was a return of the Complete Adventurer multiclassing feats that takes two classes and lets some of their class features stack.  IE, Swift Hunter lets scout (a wilderness/rogue base class from Complete Adventurer) and ranger levels stack to determine favored enemy bonus and skirmish bonus, plus if you skirmish a favored enemy, you get the bonus skirmish damage even if they are normally immune to critical hits.  There is another one for scout/rogue that lets all your rogue levels stack with scout to determine skirmish, one for monk/ninja (also from Complete Adventurer) to stack for ki pool and unarmed strike (and maybe some other stuff), a similar one for fighter/ninja, rogue/swashbuckler (base class from Complete Warrior), and maybe another one or two I'm forgetting.

One thing I noticed, you said that rogues could use Craft skill to make their own poison for 1/2 cost.  I think the Craft skill (vs magic item crafting) really only costs you 1/3 the normal cost.  There is also a rule that if the raw materials are readily avalible (like making purple worm poison after kiling a pair of purple worms or something like that), then it only costs 1/6 the price.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 09:36:31 PM »
I mentioned those feats but to me it didn't intrest me.

I'll go change the crafting rule, thought it was 1/2 but I haven't crafted in D20 since 3.0
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 10:11:54 PM »
The only reason I even remember the Craft skill rules at all, was the first 3.5 char I played was also the first game I ever played with 42.  I had a barbarian blacksmith who crafted lots and lots of stuff; we got stuck out in the wilderness w/o any way to restock equipment.  So I ended up having to make all of our arrows/javelins, etc. on top of whatever masterwork weapons and armor we wanted.

One thing I read about the multiclass fighter/ninja feat was the author originally had it so ftr/ninja levels would stack to determine your ftr bonus feats (so like a ftr10/ninja10 would have the bonus feats of a 20th level fighter, 11 feats iirc).  But they changed it in editing so they only stack for meeting feat requirements that require a certain lvl of ftr (ie, ftr8 for greater weapon focus).  I wouldn't mind trying it out the original way to see if it realy was unbalanced or not, if I ever got the chance.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 10:28:35 PM »
You probably will.

I ordered 42 3 D20 adventures off of amazon the other day for play testing and reviewing.  I think they were all low lever adventures though, but he's able to play test these in a timely fashion (one a month would be great) I would order more.

Also Wizards is really stepping up the release of adventures too, I think there's two a month during the summer and hopefully we'll get some of those for review.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.