Author Topic: How did THAT happen?  (Read 1982 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
How did THAT happen?
« on: November 12, 2004, 01:15:52 PM »
So, despite that I originally planned an epic fight against demons to save a blasted world, my nano has turned into a romantic semi-comedy. ok, not very funny at all. And I don't know why I'm writing what I'm writing, but I am. However, it still retains fantasy elements: a curse, an immortal advisor, and later fairies. This would go on the fantasy shelf, not the Romance.

So....

I need some ideas.

Short summary: The cursed king is expected to die in the next year, at age 30. He needs an heir though so his kingdom won't be torn apart, so he marries the only available princess nearby. She resents the situation adn because the king is shy around girls, she's misunderstood and thinks he's an arrogent jerk playing games with her head. So although they're married and she's recognized as the queen, they're not living in the same chambers. Now he's become smitten with her, and the advisor has divined that she may be the key to fixing the cursed land and saving the king's life (though he hasn't told him that explicitly). So, now they just need to win the girl's affections.

I don't need to know HOW he does. Obviously he has to show her that he's sincere and just shy. Once she sees that he's a good guy, she'll start to warm up.
What I need are situations to put them in. The king is going to keep trying to spend time with her, so guys, what sorts of things have you tried to get a chick that you dig? Girls, what sorts of activities would actually open you up and start talking with a guy if you didn't like him but were stuck with him? Keep in mind this is Medieval/Renaissance sort of society and tech.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Re: How did THAT happen?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 06:02:00 PM »
Have him lose his temper and murder an entire tribe of beings.  That ought to make her come around.  Or he could pout a lot, and whine.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 06:29:22 PM »
Group situations might enable her to see a different side of him. Something about how he reacts to other people.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 06:38:13 PM »
oh, come on guys. some of you had to have some odd/strange/unworkable ideas for trying to woo that girl. No idea too dumb. This guy knows nothing about women.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 06:50:36 PM »
-There's always the old standby of staging a burglary or mugging and being the "rescuer"  I can see a totally shy and socially backwards guy thinking that might work.  And it could backfire in pretty amusing ways too.

But that doesn't really fit with the "sincere" part of his personality.  He'd only do that if he became desperate, and didn't have anyone normal around to tell him not to.

-How about, "going on walks" and/or rides.  

-Or staging large gala events, like musical performances with feasting after in her honor.

-Or getting her gifts.

In the end, if his social backwardnes makes her think he's playing head games with her, the only way she'll change her mind about him is if she can observe him when he doesn't know that she can see him.

Help?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 06:52:44 PM »
heh, skar, that actually gives me an incredible idea. thanks

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 06:52:51 PM »
Have the guy take her to a place of special significance to him, and talk about why he likes to go there. She gets a glimpse of his personality and realizes that he really isnt the jerk that she thought.
OR
Have him get buried in a bunch of problems, then have her encounter him while he is worrying about them. She sees that he is in a bad way, and she is sympathetic, so they start talking.
OR
Have a giant ball. She dances with a noble that she likes, but he turns out to be a tremendous jerk, so she leaves the party disgusted. She runs into the king, who is alone, and he asks her what happened, since she looks upset
OR
Have them go hunting together, as it is one of the king's hobbies, and she is thrown from her horse somehow. She is hurt, and he helps her. She sees the concern in his eyes and realizes that he really does like her.
Tell me if you need more.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 07:34:29 PM »
heh, skar, that actually gives me an incredible idea. thanks

No problem, I'll be here all year.  Now I have to read what you're writing when you're done cause I'm curious.

-Fellfrosch

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 07:40:23 PM »
I always kind of like the 'They are forced to work with each other in a close way for some reason, and realize that the other isn't so terrible a person after all.'
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 07:41:24 PM »
mostly I'm asking for date ideas.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 08:27:57 PM »
You could always have the two get imprisoned or stranded together. For some guys, that is their greatest hope for a successful courtship.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2004, 10:20:56 PM »
I always kind of like the 'They are forced to work with each other in a close way for some reason, and realize that the other isn't so terrible a person after all.'

Yes, but hasn't it been done to death? I like it when it's done well, but sometimes it's done too much. Too many recent "princess" movies take that tack--she hates him at first, but then she gets to know him because he gets a job where she works, or something. (See The Prince and Me, Cinderella Story (or whatever it was called, with that girl from Nickelodeon), etc.)

If I were her, I would want him to show that he's been paying attention to her. That he really has listened to her when she thought he wasn't, and that he knows her better than she thinks he does. It's a very nice feeling to be known, for someone to see within you the things you didn't think they did, or to see things you don't even see yourself.

Perhaps he goes out of his way for her for something she needs but somehow can't get for herself.

All the things I'm thinking of involve talking, not date ideas. Thing is, they have to communicate with each other. I always get frustrated with stories in which the communication is lacking. Why would they fall in love if they can't talk with each other?

...Which, of course, goes back to EUOL's suggestion--if they have to talk to each other while working together, then this is a good thing.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 10:21:49 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2004, 09:53:38 AM »
If you wanted to add in a conflict other than the love story, you could have a messenger stumble into the castle late one night bringing word that an army was approaching the castle. The king and the queen work together to prepare the castle for battle.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus