Author Topic: Vin as HOA?  (Read 37794 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: Vin as HOA?
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2008, 06:48:47 AM »
Hard to say. Isn't there something in the jacket cover for HoA that says the Ashmounts are starting to cause earthquakes and erupt more violently like volcanoes?

Yes, that would tend to put a kink in the whole theory.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2008, 07:23:38 PM »
agreed that would tend to desroy that, but lets just say for the sake of argument Vin took the power from the WoA and used it, which obviously was possible. whos to say that if and when there is a confrontation with ruin and preservatioon there wont be power available to use to alter things in the world. it was said that with the power of the WoA Vin could change the world if only very quicly so there is apparently something involed of a higher power that can effect things on a larger scale.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2008, 09:00:46 PM »
What if the ashmounts are where Ruin trapped Preservation (I still like the person theory though, especially since there was something similar in Final Empire Prime apparently), and they are shaking because now that Ruin is free Preservation is trying to escape??
Who knows, the ashmounts are important thought, I'm sure of it.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2008, 01:07:39 AM »
in that respect i agree there is something about the ashmounts and the redsun that i cant really connect with anything but i know are important. i also like the person theory. your preservation theory is interesting but that would mean in the time of Alendi both Preservation and Ruin were locked up and for somereason after the ascention of the Lord Ruler Preservation was somehow freed. i like the idea of attempting to link the ashmounts to ruin and preservation and im sure they will be but for now this seems like a strech

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2008, 01:41:13 AM »
also unless various parts of Preservation are separated and trapped, each in a single ashmount, it doesn't make sense.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2008, 04:08:31 PM »
also unless various parts of Preservation are separated and trapped, each in a single ashmount, it doesn't make sense.

Well, Preservation could be trapped in the subterranean lava lake that fuels all the Ashmounts ... but yeah, I don't think this is likely.
He ate my horse.

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2008, 09:03:12 AM »
I would still think that Preservation is mostly if not entirely free. The reasoning for this is where in the Hero of Ages prologue it states that . . .

. . . something kept it from affecting the world too much by itself. An opposition. A force that lay over the land like a shield.

When this was observed, Ruin was freed upon the land, leading me to believe that it would take a freed Preservation to put up this much resistance to it. Also the case where the mists sometimes kill people and sometimes just shakes them up leads me to believe that Ruin and Preservation are both free and competing for the lives of those people. Ruin just has slightly more power at the moment, because he gained the power of the Well of Ascension.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2008, 05:11:06 PM »
ok so if thats true than im lead to an assumtion, maybe seeing how the Lord Ruler had some idea of the events unfolding in the world at the time of his ascention he did more with the power of the WoA. the last post leads us to think that both Ruin and Preservation are loose on the world in the time before the Lord Ruler. maybe the Lord ruler didnt just create allomancy and kolos, maybe he locked ruin in the well. this would be a good reason for him to make his palace on top of it. i wouldnt think that the Lord Ruler was prepairing for someone else to challange him and enter the well i think he was acting as a guardian to Ruins prison. he was to sure of himself to be afraid of a chanllanger and he also had no reason to think the power of the WoA would come again and call a new person to it.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2008, 05:48:35 PM »
hmm...doesn't Alendi reference the well though?
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2008, 06:33:58 PM »
Ruin was sealed during the last Ascension though, according to Kwaan. I think it more likely that both powers were sealed away when The Lord Ruler took the power in the Well, and he used the Well's power to free Preservation, thus stopping the Deepness and turning the mists (And everything else.) into Preservation's territory. From there, The Lord Ruler had directly touched Preservation through the Well of Ascension, perhaps gained some power from it, and the world started to stop progressing because Ruin was trapped and Preservation was free. Then, when Vin gave up the power, Ruin took it and freed himself, and now they're both competing for the land.
A man called Hope.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2008, 09:31:55 PM »
i dont really follow what you mean when you say
Ruin was sealed during the last Ascension though, according to Kwaan. I think it more likely that both powers were sealed away when The Lord Ruler took the power in the Well, and he used the Well's power to free Preservation,

Does this mean you think that during the Lord rulers ascention both Ruin and Preservation who were previously at large, were sealed and then while using the power of the well the Lord Ruler simotaniously released Preservation in an attempt to combat the Deepness that ruin was loosing on the world?

If this were the case then what is the purpose of the well? it wasnt built as a prison for Ruin it just became one due to the Lord Ruler. So for reasons unknown there was this well of power on the planet that could be used for any thing the person who found it wanted. I find that there may be some hole to the theory but i also find it interesting and worth further investigation

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2008, 10:28:52 PM »
It goes something like this. . .

During the time before The Lord Ruler, Preservation was weakening. Ruin was gaining power, but it was still trapped in the Well of Ascension. The Lord Ruler then went to the Well of Ascension, took the power for himself, and used it to make Preservation the dominant force in the land. (Among other things, like making the Koloss and such.) This stifled Ruin's small influence and made the Deepness into the mists, until a thousand years later, when Ruin could again reach out upon the world. Then Vin went to the Well of Ascension and gave up the power to Ruin. So the current state of things is Preservation, enhanced by The Lord Ruler's use of the Well, and Ruin, enhanced by Vin's use of the Well, are fighting over the land to establish control.

As for the Well of Ascension, I think it could have been made to make the world a better place. The people, every thousand years, would in theory send the Hero of Ages to the Well of Ascension, where they would then take it's power and use it to improve the world. Sometime in the past, someone just decided to use it's power to seal Ruin away completely. Of course, we've seen that if the wrong sort of person takes possession of the Well, the world can be in for some serious troubles.
A man called Hope.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 30, 2008, 11:21:45 PM »
ok, i see your theory requires alot of assumtions. but i guess it would have to seeing how were talking about a time period that we have little to zero knowlage about. the whole idea that the well was created to "make the world a better place" is kinda slim. with that much power theres always going to be people who want to take it.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2008, 12:27:37 AM »
i dont really think the well was created by humans.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2008, 12:49:38 AM »
I think Czanos theory makes a whole lot more sense than anything else I've heard for a while. It goes right along with what I've thought for most of the time, with a few improvements.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence