Author Topic: Darkon: The LARP Documentary  (Read 1176 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Darkon: The LARP Documentary
« on: December 01, 2005, 02:38:57 AM »
Check this out:

http://www.darkonthemovie.com/

A documentary about LARPing.

The trailer's pretty good.

A lot of people are very passionate about LARPing. I'm not one of them. Of course, I've only played in one, horrible WoD LARP years ago. Even though I know I could have had a better time, it wasn't for me. Tabletop is where I belong.

Boffer LARPs have much more appeal to me, though I've only experienced them through others tales. To do such a thing, which requires being in a very public place, is something I just can't do though. I'm certainly not hiding my nerdery, but there are depths even I fear to go to. And it's sad. It shouldn't be that way. How many of us devote hours a week to playing video games where you accomplish nothing save entertaining yourself for a few hours? Devote that time to something like boffer LARPs and at least you'd have genuine social interaction and get some exercise.

I'm torn. Part of me would love to try this kind of thing out. The rest of me knows I never can without feeling some degree of shame. And that's kind of sad.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: Darkon: The LARP Documentary
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 08:42:19 AM »
Apparently Re-enactment and historical/D&D larps are great places to test out your theories on how good with a sword and shield you actually are.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 10:12:34 AM »
I'm torn. Part of me would love to try this kind of thing out. The rest of me knows I never can without feeling some degree of shame. And that's kind of sad.

Fortunately, a certain mental disoorder of mine has decided for me. I will never be a LARPer.

And I am so writing my thesis on the effects of fantasy and role-playing if I make it into a psychology PhD program.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 10:22:35 AM »
Dr P should turn up to a larp, use a crossbow and make wisecracks about his 'eye knowledge'. :P

/me pulls out SW and starts statting
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch